This discussion is closed.
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
microsoft is sueing this website http://www.mikerowesoft.com for using a name that sounds like its own, even though the owner is called Mike Rowe. and the website has nothing to do with microsoft or anything that it does, so it is not cashing in on the name.

i think this is totally crazy.... what next? multinational corporations copyrighting names and surnames?
Too much money, too much time :rolleyes:
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pegasus)
Too much money, too much time :rolleyes:
this reminds me of when Renaut tried to sue a french family (can't remember the outcome) who named their daughter Renaut... their surname was Megane... :rolleyes:

lou xxx
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
this reminds me of when Renaut tried to sue a french family (can't remember the outcome) who named their daughter Renaut... their surname was Megane... :rolleyes:

lou xxx
Surely it would be a good publicity for her to be renamed Renault Megane? I am sure someone won a prize for the craziest thing to be done for publicity, and it was someone renaming their name to "Radio Viking FM" and won £5000.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Apparently Madonna's suing Simon Cowell. In an interview he was discussing women and when they subject of Madonna came up he said "she used to be good looking". Madonna's grounds for suing are that the comments distressed her and hurt her emotionally and she wants damages or something. Stupid methinks...
LBF
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Madonna has to make some response
she couldnt just keep quiet, same as in Pulp Fiction Marcellus Wallace had to make a response when Tony Reckerhorror touched Mia's feet.
Simon Cowell has to expect a reaction.
And besides it gets bothe him and her publicity.

As for Mike Rowe, if he didnt want trouble why put the 'soft' at the ned of the URL??? He too had to expect a reaction!
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
As for Mike Rowe, if he didnt want trouble why put the 'soft' at the ned of the URL??? He too had to expect a reaction!
He might have well done, but look at the advertising he's getting. He had 250,000 people look at his site yesterday, he'd never have had that many viewers of his site if he didn't pursue it. He's a clever guy, he knows what he's doing is legitimate and Microsoft will probably settle out of court or drop the charge, he'll make money, he gets loads of free advertising all over the world. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
LBF
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
good point Gary, however, why would a person want soo many visitors to there site which will inevitably crash it when there is no financial gain for him unless i am mistaken and you now have to pay to view websites!

Oh well, good luck to the guy, hes obviously got nothing interesting in his life so gets publicity this way.

This is his fifeteen minutes (another pulp fiction quote, im guna have to stop watching that film)
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LBF)
This is his fifeteen minutes (another pulp fiction quote, im guna have to stop watching that film)
I thought that was from "i shot Andy warhol"

He may not get money from people viewing his site, but it advertises what he does, it makes it attractive for companies to put adverts on his site, meaning he'll get some money, he'll get paid for selling his story, he'll get money when microsoft drop the charges or settle out of court. I'm sure if this goes on much longer a lot of companies will want to advertise on his site after all "there is no such thing as bad publicity."
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I thought that was from "i shot Andy warhol"

He may not get money from people viewing his site, but it advertises what he does, it makes it attractive for companies to put adverts on his site, meaning he'll get some money, he'll get paid for selling his story, he'll get money when microsoft drop the charges or settle out of court. I'm sure if this goes on much longer a lot of companies will want to advertise on his site after all "there is no such thing as bad publicity."
Hes being on chat shows and radio interviews. Money making scheme if you ask me.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Hes being on chat shows and radio interviews. Money making scheme if you ask me.
Good luck to him too, why not? People make money for doing a lot worse than that.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Microsoft ripped Windows off Apple, and now they moan because of a (not total) coincidence... the double standards of big business makes me want to settle for owning a pub in future...
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Good luck to him too, why not? People make money for doing a lot worse than that.
I know I was just saying that it was a money making scheme. And it is a good one too. If I had the same name as his, well I would do the same too.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads