how rough is Nottingham in terms of knife/gun crime?

Watch
irepislam
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i've applied to nottingham for computer science and the only thing stopping me from going right now is the fact that my teacher told me it has the highest knife/gun crime in the whole of Europe? i live in london right now and that's not really an issue despite what the media says. i can get from point A to point B without fearing for my life.

is it any different in nottingham?
adam_zed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by irepislam)
i've applied to nottingham for computer science and the only thing stopping me from going right now is the fact that my teacher told me it has the highest knife/gun crime in the whole of Europe? i live in london right now and that's not really an issue despite what the media says. i can get from point A to point B without fearing for my life.

is it any different in nottingham?
lol no it doesnt. Glasgow has a considerably worse problem with knife crime. Parts of Paris, Marseilles, Grenoble etc are much rougher (so I have heard). As far as I am aware, much of Nottingham's violence is confined to certain areas, and bar the much over-hyped rare episode of violence involving someone innocent, it is usually confined to those involved in crime anyway, as with most places in England. Especially now, London is statistically a lot more rough but as you say, you hardly notice it.
AfghanistanBananistan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Again, here is a quote from a Guardian article about UK gun crime;

'Nottingham is a city that has struggled with a guns label after a number of killings in 2004...but its police chiefs say public perception is at odds with reality because the city witnesses far fewer incidents per resident than other so-called gun hotspots.

Figures show Nottinghamshire Police recorded one firearms-related death in 2006 and none as of August 2007.

Its overall rate of gun crime is only marginally above the national average - and half the rate of Manchester and London''

See, not that bad and bearing in my that recent reports say crime is down considerably in Nottingham since 2007, we can assume that the stats are even lower now.

Notts only got a reputation because unfortunately Nott rhymes with shot and the media played upon this. If Nottingham was called Bath then no one would remember anything about crime. If Manchester rhymed with something to do with stabbings then it would also have a reputation.

Just ignore it.
py0alb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Seriously, use the search function or go browse the Notts subforum. I've answered this question about 10 different times in the past month alone.
JohnC2211
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In the whole of Europe? I would be doubtful to believe that. Partially because in the majority of the rest of the European countries, the police services are routinely armed, whereas in England they are not. This leads to more criminals arming themselves in order to be 'on par' with the police.

While there are some cities which have a problem with gun crime - London and Manchester spring to mind - you should be fine in Nottingham. If you've survived living in London without a hood pass init, then you should survive Nottingham!

If you're still a bit worried, take up Krav Maga, and get really good at running really fast.
JayAyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your teacher is an idiot.
irepislam
Rep:
?
thanks... also...

nottingham vs surrey (which one has a better reputation as a uni)?
username291885
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been out in Nottingham quite a few times and have never encountered violence personally, or witnessed it. It's the same with any town or city, there are good parts and bad parts.
JayAyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thanks... also...

nottingham vs surrey (which one has a better reputation as a uni)?
Nottingham.
irepislam
Rep:
?
(Original post by JayAyy)
Nottingham.
i'm sensing bias...?
irepislam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
It's fine, really. Obviously there are some pretty dodgy areas, but I highly doubt the average student feels the need to pop to the Meadows or wherever frequently, and I don't think the centre is any amount "rougher" than any other cities I've been to.
shutup.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
shutup.
What? That was a fair comment.
irepislam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beska)
What? That was a fair comment.
oh crap.. i got TSRaped, apologies
jb9191
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nottingham is not rough in any way at all.

It may have rough areas like any other city in the UK but its nowhere near as bad as Liverpool, Manchester, London or Birmingham.

You're teacher is telling you completely the wrong thing.

You may get an idiot in the town centre at night wanting a punch up but that happens a lot everywhere because a lot of the locals do not like students. It can happen anywhere.

Just go to Nottingham.

PS. Remember to take your knife with you.
Broderss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In the UK you will only be a victim if you mess with those kinds of people. Stay out of trouble and you'll be fine. This sort of crime doesn't generally happen to innocent random people, but it goes without saying that it still does.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't have any statistics for 2010, but, the following show gun-related offences:

Murder: 04-05: 3: 05-06: 0; 06-07: 1; 07-08: 0; 08-09: 0
Attempted murder: 04-05: 4; 05-06: 4; 06-07: 5; 07-08: 0; 08-09: 0

It's not as bad as its reputation makes out

Regardless, the violence tends to be between gangs and people who mess with them, so providing you don't mix with the really wrong type, you won't have any problems. It's the same as any other city.
JayAyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm sensing bias...?
Well you're asking "which uni is better: Nottingham or Surrey?" in the Nottingham answer, so really you should be expecting a bias answer :dontknow:
irepislam
Rep:
?
(Original post by JayAyy)
Well you're asking "which uni is better: Nottingham or Surrey?" in the Nottingham answer, so really you should be expecting a bias answer :dontknow:
but then again if people said surrey, the bias would be completely reversed, that's why i asked the question.

now shutup
illmatic182
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well i thought it was fine then i got a guy threatening to knife me on my own road for my phone and some guy got stabbed the other night
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by illmatic182)
well i thought it was fine then i got a guy threatening to knife me on my own road for my phone and some guy got stabbed the other night
yeah, at 4:30am after attempting to start a fight with a large group of chavs. It's safe to say that if you are stupid enough to do that, you are liable to find yourself in a little bit of trouble. He's making a full recovery in the QMC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.07%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.3%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.3%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
15.22%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
27.17%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
17.93%

Watched Threads