The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Daveo
So there are obviously too many degrees for too little jons. Ok and how many medical graduates dont work?

No - these are just the stats for 6 months after graduation...doesn't mean they will never get a job. I myself was temping at the time the first destination survey was done but 3 months later was in a graduate level job that was both useful and stimulating.

I don't have the stats for medics: this is my source but as their course is more or less integrated with their employment after graduation it's not comparable.
Reply 141
Howard
"I don't believe the actual exams have got easier........... They may be easier to pass though"

Classic.

But what I was meaning the things you learn are exactly the same.
amazingtrade
Again a lot of this is just media manupulation, yes A levels grades are increasing but its not as if they are increasing dramaticaly.

I will tell you why A level grades have increased.

1) Better recourses (i.e teaching, internet)
2) With the AS systems the bad students drop out before doing A2, therefor its only the best students that get entered into A2.

I don't believe the actual exams have got easier, they are just different. They may be easier to pass though.

The exams are easier. Ok, from my own experience, i've applied for English Lit with predictions of 4 A grades. (and good personal statement and reference) of the 6 unis i've applied for, i've been rejected from 2 and accepted by 2, so far. Through talking to people i have discovered that this would not have hapened 5 years ago - if you're predicted 4 As, yo are virtually guaranteed an offer at any good university, with perhaps the exception of Oxbridge. What dows that tell you?

Plus, unis can no longer interview for the more popular courses, such as english, because they are overwhelmed by the number of excellent applications with excellent grades. There simply isn't the time to interview everyone who is a potential undergraduate there.
Nafisa
wow personal attack...how clever are you!

You're answer to my question was ridiculous, so i just stated the obvious.
Daveo
Ok so are you telling me that when a nurse starts work they dont owe anything?

Yes - I'm surprised you didn't know that, same goes for certain other professions like Physio, OT, podiatry, radiology.

Of course they're entitled to some student loans too (depending on their course) so they may still need the extra debt available through that.
Reply 145
serendipity
The exams are easier. Ok, from my own experience, i've applied for English Lit with predictions of 4 A grades. (and good personal statement and reference) of the 6 unis i've applied for, i've been rejected from 2 and accepted by 2, so far. Through talking to people i have discovered that this would not have hapened 5 years ago - if you're predicted 4 As, yo are virtually guaranteed an offer at any good university, with perhaps the exception of Oxbridge. What dows that tell you?

Plus, unis can no longer interview for the more popular courses, such as english, because they are overwhelmed by the number of excellent applications with excellent grades. There simply isn't the time to interview everyone who is a potential undergraduate there.

EXAMS ARE NOT EASIER! The grades however are easier to achieve! someone with 3B's 10yrs ago would now undoubtably have 4A's
Reply 146
serendipity

Forgive me for sounding harsh here, you may have been able to get the grades 5 years ago. But have you considered that 5 years ago you would have not been able to get those high grades since they are easier now? Thefore probably would have been rejected anyway? Again sorry to sound harsh.
Reply 147
amazingtrade
But what I was meaning the things you learn are exactly the same.

Well, that's just not true. That's why a lot of university's are always complaining at having to bring students up to speed in their first year.......to do the job that the schools should have done and used to do in the sixth forms.
Reply 148
Pencil Queen
Yes - I'm surprised you didn't know that, same goes for certain other professions like Physio, OT, podiatry, radiology.

Of course they're entitled to some student loans too (depending on their course) so they may still need the extra debt available through that.

IM ON THE WORNG COURSE! GET ME A TRANSFER NOW!!!! if they do this for nurses etc then why shud doctors be any different?
amazingtrade
Forgive me for sounding harsh here, you may have been able to get the grades 5 years ago. But have you considered that 5 years ago you would have not been able to get those high grades since they are easier now? Thefore probably would have been rejected anyway? Again sorry to sound harsh.

That is in part my point. However i did get 7A* and 3A at GCSE, so i hope i would have been able to, unless those have got easier too.
Daveo
IM ON THE WORNG COURSE! GET ME A TRANSFER NOW!!!! if they do this for nurses etc then why shud doctors be any different?

Because at Southampton there are over 11 applications for each place on the medicine course...for the nursing courses we get 1.1 application/place. People want to become doctors but don't want to become nurses - the NHS needs both but knows that while there will always be a demand for medicine courses they cannot even recruit enough nurses to train up if they don't subsidise the courses.
Reply 151
Daveo
EXAMS ARE NOT EASIER! The grades however are easier to achieve! someone with 3B's 10yrs ago would now undoubtably have 4A's

In other words, the marking system has been perverted.
Daveo

grades are easier to achieve = exams are easier, surely :confused:
Reply 153
Howard
In other words, the marking system has been perverted.

YES! VERY oneday it will catastrophically distruct! as it was threatening with the recent grades fiasco.
Reply 154
Pencil Queen
Because at Southampton there are over 11 applications for each place on the medicine course...for the nursing courses we get 1.1 application/place. People want to become doctors but don't want to become nurses - the NHS needs both but knows that while there will always be a demand for medicine courses they cannot even recruit enough nurses to train up if they don't subsidise the courses.

Well one of the reasons for that is the fact that it appears most people can now get 4A's at A level so can apply for medicine!
Reply 155
serendipity
grades are easier to achieve = exams are easier, surely :confused:

No! its just instead of gettin the mark that you actually got in the exam they do strange things to it to come up with a higer mark to make people look better and meet government targets.
Daveo
No! its just instead of gettin the mark that you actually got in the exam they do strange things to it to come up with a higer mark to make people look better and meet government targets.

Yeah. Tricky subject.
Daveo
Well one of the reasons for that is the fact that it appears most people can now get 4A's at A level so can apply for medicine!

There has always been a demand for medicine courses (why do you think they've always been limited to 4 universities). And the new medical schools (containing most of the 2000 extra places that labour have introduced in an effort to keep the NHS chugging along) don't instist of 4As at A level for entry...they're more interested in recruiting the people who would make the best doctors rather than the people capable of aceing 3 A level exams.
Reply 158
Daveo

That is not true, the amount of people getting four A's at A level is well below 10%. I admit it is probably higher than it used be though.
Reply 159
Pencil Queen
There has always been a demand for medicine courses (why do you think they've always been limited to 4 universities). And the new medical schools (containing most of the 2000 extra places that labour have introduced in an effort to keep the NHS chugging along) don't instist of 4As at A level for entry...they're more interested in recruiting the people who would make the best doctors rather than the people capable of aceing 3 A level exams.

Pay nurses properly and there will be no lack of applicants! What that says about the applicants remains to be seen! I know people on my course who will no doubt make useless doctors and i know people with BBB who were rejected that would make excellent doctors. I think that interviews shud be far more rigorous to filter out all the too-academic students.

Latest

Trending

Trending