The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do Scottish people hate English people?

I've heard recently from a no. of people (including Frankie Boyle mind you) that Scottish people are v. "racist" against English people lol, is it true, and if so why? x
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think racist is the word you're looking for...

Edit: Why is there is a kiss at the end of that? Who are you kissing, everyone on this thread? WHERE IS THE LOGIC?
(edited 13 years ago)
from the scottish people i've met... not really, theres the friendly bit of english-scottish banter, but nothing serious :/
Reply 3
Maybe they hate us because we kept smashing their faces in war:biggrin:
Reply 4
As an English person that has lived in Scotland for 4 years I can say that no, Scottish people don't hate the English! There's a bit of banter but nothing serious.
Some Scottish people hate the English.

Some English people hate the Scots.

Next question.
Reply 6
Original post by win5ton
Maybe they hate us because we kept smashing their faces in war:biggrin:

:confused:
Totally hate them. Why else do you think they build Hadrian's Wall?
Reply 8
It's just banter...
I get a lot of banter from the Scottish people, mind you it's no different to me giving one of my flatmates banter for being from Liverpool, and him giving me banter for being "posh".

Plus, even if they do hate us, I still shall succeed in finding myself a man in a kilt =D Out of the 10 guys I've got with since coming to uni 7 guys have definitely been scottish, 1 guy was english, 1 was spanish and 1 i really have no idea about :L
Reply 10
Not at all! I agree there is some banter between Scottish and English people but I'm Scottish and actually chose to move down to England to study. Just because there's a border between us doesn't change the fact that we're all part of Britain, so I don't see why there should be any bad feelings.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I get a lot of banter from the Scottish people, mind you it's no different to me giving one of my flatmates banter for being from Liverpool, and him giving me banter for being "posh".

Plus, even if they do hate us, I still shall succeed in finding myself a man in a kilt =D Out of the 10 guys I've got with since coming to uni 7 guys have definitely been scottish, 1 guy was english, 1 was spanish and 1 i really have no idea about :L

I like you! lol every guy I ever like turns out to be at least part scottish haha x
Reply 12
Half of my family is Scottish, and I would say no. You do get the banter, but that's it. My uncle did get pissed off when some English cashier person rejected Scottish money though.

The whole Scottish people love everyone/everything Scottish is bull too, because my mum hates labour, Gillian (from I'm a celeb), bagpipes, haggis, black pudding, deep fried mars bars, and Scottish weather.

She wouldn't let be labeled as English though. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
I like you! lol every guy I ever like turns out to be at least part scottish haha x

I won't be walking down the aisle to anyone BUT a man in a kilt :P
Yep.
I mean I don't, and I think it's defo more of a North thing, but most people up here really hate English people for some reason. I was brought up by my dad telling me English people are EVIL.

I quite like people from England though :smile:
Well I'm English and my boyfriend's Scottish, and I'd say we get along quite well :P of course there's the friendly banter, but I haven't yet met anyone from Scotland who has a serious problem with the English.
Reply 16
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I won't be walking down the aisle to anyone BUT a man in a kilt :P

Right on sister! :biggrin:
Reply 18
For some reason, a large majority of the English people that move to Scotland tend to be dicks.

To answer your question OP, I personally have nothing against the English 'race'.
You heard it form a comedian... hence tis a joke.

But yeah, we just lol around pretending we don't like them. Like all races, they have their good and bad eggs. We just like to get all patriotic and Braveheartesque in moments of drunken stupor. There is defo rivalry but it's not racism. Not the sort I've seen anyway.

Latest