Do you think Harry Potter is overrated?

Watch
TheWorldEndsWithYou
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm not saying it's terrible. Harry Potter is without a doubt a fantastic series of books. ButI don't see what all the fuss is about - I really don't. Part of me is jealous that I haven't gotten my book published and probably won't do as well if it was But why is it so popular? I tihnk it's a bit overrated.
chloooeee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not, in my opinion. It's awesome! I mean, it's not that her writing is perfect or anything, I think it's more the idea of a wizarding world. The fact that anybody can create that whole world in their head is truely amazing; the amount of detail is really quite fantasic.
Benammieh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I havent watched any of them but i can tell it looks real good I have to find some time to read all books before i can watch the films which will take me a loooooong time which i dont have!
Svenjamin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, when the books are one of the biggest selling series in literary history it isn't exactly difficult to be overrated.
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course it's overrated. But, that doesn't mean it isn't bloody brilliant regardless.
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chloooeee)
It's not, in my opinion. It's awesome! I mean, it's not that her writing is perfect or anything, I think it's more the idea of a wizarding world. The fact that anybody can create that whole world in their head is truely amazing; the amount of detail is really quite fantasic.
There are hundreds of fantasy authors who do that every time they write a book. In fact, they should be lauded even more because they don't even use the real world as their setting, or do so very rarely. I don't really find the level of detail in Harry Potter to be better than most average fantasy series, but that's just me.

I think the books are wonderful children's literature and I read them regularly because I enjoy them, though I didn't start reading them til I was about 15/16. Rowling does try to make them deal with serious issues and give them a message, but it falls short. They are a damn good yarn, reasonably well written, but hideously overrated. Why is Harry Potter being studied at university when you'd be hard-pushed to ever find a course on Tolkien outside of America? What about the legion of fantasy writers who have done so much more than her who languish in obscurity? Why aren't they studied? Oh, plus the fact people try to say she is as good as or better than Tolkien really pisses me off. She doesn't have even a quarter of his talent.
chloooeee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)
There are hundreds of fantasy authors who do that every time they write a book. In fact, they should be lauded even more because they don't even use the real world as their setting, or do so very rarely. I don't really find the level of detail in Harry Potter to be better than most average fantasy series, but that's just me.

I think the books are wonderful children's literature and I read them regularly because I enjoy them, though I didn't start reading them til I was about 15/16. Rowling does try to make them deal with serious issues and give them a message, but it falls short. They are a damn good yarn, reasonably well written, but hideously overrated. Why is Harry Potter being studied at university when you'd be hard-pushed to ever find a course on Tolkien outside of America? What about the legion of fantasy writers who have done so much more than her who languish in obscurity? Why aren't they studied? Oh, plus the fact people try to say she is as good as or better than Tolkien really pisses me off. She doesn't have even a quarter of his talent.
Yeah, I mean, obviously other authors probably are more talented than JK Rowling but I'm easily pleased when it comes to quality of writing I guess. There are probably loads of better authors than her in this world but I just love Harry Potter in the way that it was easy to get in to. You could start reading a random book like the fourth for example, after never picking up a Harry Potter book before in your life yet she would still give a breif background of the series and the way it was written allowed anybody to get into it. I personally read the books in such a random order but still totally understood them.

I haven't read a lot of fantasy books (mainly because I settle for just re-reading the HP series), but for me I think Harry Potter will always be in my top list of books - it's taken over my childhood in such an awesome way! Also I like how it's written in third person but mostly from Harry's point of view so it feels so much like first person. I also like how it was in the real world - as you said it may be more imaginative to create a new world but that level of fantasy might have been too much for me. I just love how it was incorporated into the real world and all the magic was hushed up - it always make me think (in a jokey way of course) - could there really be people like this, not wizards as such, but fantastical creatures or communities living secretly on our earth?

But yeah, each to their own! They are a little overated I guess- but what isn't nowadays? Personally though, I love these books - to me they are my favourite I don't care if they are mainstream or whatever, I love 'em.
KingMessi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's slightly overrated, but not much-JK Rowling is honestly original-not with everything (her stories still follow a good-evil plot, and one could argue that Harry is so good that he doesn't undergo any personal growth)-but her imagination and her creation of a whole world, with histories for the characters, it's own sport...just brilliant. Some of the excerpts from her novels are just top class. As great literature, it's overrated, but as enjoayable literature, nothing touches it.

In any case, it's nowhere near as overrated as Stephanie Meyer's novels. (Not the Host, as I haven't read that yet.)
KingMessi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I mean, obviously other authors probably are more talented than JK Rowling but I'm easily pleased when it comes to quality of writing I guess. There are probably loads of better authors than her in this world but I just love Harry Potter in the way that it was easy to get in to. You could start reading a random book like the fourth for example, after never picking up a Harry Potter book before in your life yet she would still give a breif background of the series and the way it was written allowed anybody to get into it. I personally read the books in such a random order but still totally understood them.

I haven't read a lot of fantasy books (mainly because I settle for just re-reading the HP series), but for me I think Harry Potter will always be in my top list of books - it's taken over my childhood in such an awesome way! Also I like how it's written in third person but mostly from Harry's point of view so it feels so much like first person. I also like how it was in the real world - as you said it may be more imaginative to create a new world but that level of fantasy might have been too much for me. I just love how it was incorporated into the real world and all the magic was hushed up - it always make me think (in a jokey way of course) - could there really be people like this, not wizards as such, but fantastical creatures or communities living secretly on our earth?

But yeah, each to their own! They are a little overated I guess- but what isn't nowadays? Personally though, I love these books - to me they are my favourite I don't care if they are mainstream or whatever, I love 'em.
This.
dothestrand
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Obviously they're not classic literature but they're highly enjoyable nonetheless.
Low Profile
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Svenjamin)
Well, when the books are one of the biggest selling series in literary history it isn't exactly difficult to be overrated.
Popularity proves nothing! An example of this is the mainstream music industry.
Panda Vinnie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Those who question the fantasy novels shall feel the wrath of Lord Voldemort :dry:
Oliver.93
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whilst I find re-reading them absolutely intolerable now, I have to admit when I began reading them at age 10 or something I was pretty obsessed.

Rowling probably isn't a "great" writer (whatever that means!) but she is a brilliant story-teller, and I think there's something really beautiful about the idea of escaping off to a boarding school when you're that age.

I don't understand much of the appeal if you're anything over about 16 though to be honest - unless it comes with the nostalgia of having read them already at a younger age.
SillyRodent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do believe there are other fantasy others that deserve just as much praise that get disregarded but its hardly JK Rowlings fault that she somehow managed to create such a popular concept. So yes maybe overrated, but they are brilliant. I consider Twilight overrated on the other hand..
Luceria
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, I don't think so. They deserve the attention they're getting. Harry Potter are brilliant books, and Jo Rowling is a really good writer. Harry Potter will be remembered in 50 years a long with Lord of the Rings etc . (Not comparing it to the quality of LOTR) but yes. The books are deep, complex, and very well thought out. She used 10+ years on writing them. And she's probably one of my biggest role models.

Now to overrated rubbish books *coughMeyercough*
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Harry Potter does not deserve to be held alongside Lord of the Rings. I'm sorry, but it's true. They are not that good.
farawayheartbeat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have to agree.
There's so much detail - from large things to really truly tiny things - that make it simply so believable, as if it really is real.
Also, that almost every character has redeemable moments; so many novels that I've read make black and white, perfect good, and evil bad characters, and it's boring. The HP series has so many details, redemption, and it really makes you feel the emotion - whether disturbed, upset or joyous. And what I really love is when you go back and reread earlier books since knowing the ending details, you find tiny details that hint and add upon it, like little planted seeds. Every time I read it I find something new I hadn't noticed/understood fully. And personally, I really identify with some of the characters and really feel for them - something rare in my day-to-day reading.
Luceria
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oliver.93)
Whilst I find re-reading them absolutely intolerable now, I have to admit when I began reading them at age 10 or something I was pretty obsessed.

Rowling probably isn't a "great" writer (whatever that means!) but she is a brilliant story-teller, and I think there's something really beautiful about the idea of escaping off to a boarding school when you're that age.

I don't understand much of the appeal if you're anything over about 16 though to be honest - unless it comes with the nostalgia of having read them already at a younger age.
Yet another person who thinks Harry Potter are purely "childrens books". One of the nice things about Harry Potter was that the reader matured with the books and characters. The Harry Potter generation are people in their late teens- 20's, and grew up with the books and films. I started reading the books when I was 11, and the last book was released when I was 16. The main audience isn't Disney brainwashed 10 year olds.

When I was 11, I thought Chamber of Secrets was "scary" (The spiders etc). Because it was meant for people my age (but all people could read it) As I got older the books/films grew darker, changed and became more mature. The books after Prisoner of Azkaban are much more aimed at teenagers and older. But that doesn't mean other people don't read them. Deathly Hallows is certainly aimed at teenagers and older. Not little kids. (Even Emma Watson said that). Only an ignorant person would say otherwise.
Linweth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

:erm: People actually say this? Seriously? Whoever says this has no idea about literature and in no position to judge on who is talented and who isn't. Psh.
JohnC2211
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

+rep for you, sir.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (407)
52.25%
No (372)
47.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed