This discussion is closed.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
have any of you been at a place were an accident has happened.Like a car crash etc* if you have tell the story of what happened.
the worst thing ive ever seen was when the local college burned down to the ground, we live quite near and we had to be evacuated from our house because of all the fumes it was still burnig well into the night and there was still ash falling out of the sky the day after!!
i guess its not an accident but it could have ended in fatalities
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
the worst thing ive ever seen was when the local college burned down to the ground, we live quite near and we had to be evacuated from our house because of all the fumes it was still burnig well into the night and there was still ash falling out of the sky the day after!!
i guess its not an accident but it could have ended in fatalities
yea i remember that it was even on the news!!!!! still looks a right mess dont it? didnt no u had 2 b evactuated form ur house tho, we wernt and the smopke was blown our way. then again u live closer dont u..
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh yeah - this bus crashed in2 county mall (the big shopping complex where i live) coz all the bus stops are right outside it. one lady who was standing at the bus stopped died and quite a few ppl were injured.

this is a bit of a morbid thread really
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
Well of course it was but if you read my thread properly you would realise that i wasn't driving!!! Plus not everyone is as smart and responsible as you are. Believe it or not there are actually people who go out and race there cars...there called "speed junkies". I wont deny it i love going along the motorways maybe 2am in the morning in my mates Scooby, the engine screaming coz its maxed out. I know its wrong and could possibly be the end of me. But i live life to the max when and how i can because maybe one day, possibly even tomorrow i might just cross the street and get hit by a bus or anything. Sorry if that offends you but "each to there own" mate.

Absolutely not.

I am exposed to danger on a daily basis both cycling and when I race. But I know the risks and I can justify them because although you safety is at risk there is a reward for taking those risks. Its a sport you can win and achieve something.

Driving down the motorway at high speed is pointless there is no achievement; you are not proving anything. You probably dont realise the risk. You may feel scared but you dont wake up in the mourning and think you might die today because these things happen. You are ignorant as to what could happen and you dont have the skill to prevent it or see it coming.

By the way I mention cycling which I think is far more dangerous than driving racing cars because I have nearly been killed more than once cycling and I have never been involved in an accident in a car. I still cycle because I think the ends justify the means with all things considered. Do you really consider what you are letting yourself in for. And can you justify that?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
oh yeah - this bus crashed in2 county mall (the big shopping complex where i live) coz all the bus stops are right outside it. one lady who was standing at the bus stopped died and quite a few ppl were injured.

this is a bit of a morbid thread really
it was on the news too
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Michael Beaver)
Absolutely not.

I am exposed to danger on a daily basis both cycling and when I race. But I know the risks and I can justify them because although you safety is at risk there is a reward for taking those risks. Its a sport you can win and achieve something.

Driving down the motorway at high speed is pointless there is no achievement; you are not proving anything. You probably dont realise the risk. You may feel scared but you dont wake up in the mourning and think you might die today because these things happen. You are ignorant as to what could happen and you dont have the skill to prevent it or see it coming.

By the way I mention cycling which I think is far more dangerous than driving racing cars because I have nearly been killed more than once cycling and I have never been involved in an accident in a car. I still cycle because I think the ends justify the means with all things considered. Do you really consider what you are letting yourself in for. And can you justify that?
You assume because i am fleeing about in cars that i do not know the risks...i know the risks more than you understand mate. I know how deadly cars are! But there is one thing...who said i was proving anything...i drive fast and race because i like the excitement of it. You think i am ignorant to what could happen...i know that during a race one wrong turn could cost me my life, but that still doesn't stop it. "Why fear death to whome it comes naturally?" I aint being big headed i just like to race, thats all. When i do race we have runners to make sure the tracks are clear of walkers AND cyclists!! You want me to justify why i speed...i cannot but what i can say is that its my life and im going to enjoy it!!! Can you accept that?

Ps. I know cycling...it used to be my hobby before cars. I've been in an accident with a bike. Going down a road i turned and a car came outa no where, i hit the car and whack.
"I still cycle because I think the ends justify the means with all things considered" could you explain what you mean by that! That can mean a few things. I just want to let you know this isn't an argument. Its just a debate okay.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
have any of you been at a place were an accident has happened.Like a car crash etc* if you have tell the story of what happened.
Funny you should mention that - I witnessed a car crash not more than an hour and a half ago; cars under a green traffic light turning right out of a side road, BMW 3-series goes turns, Fiat Seicento accelerates straight into the back of it. No sign of braking or anything, just drove straight into it, not a clue why. The bus I was on didn't stop, but everyone was out the cars looking unharmed when we drove by. Stupid accident.

There's been various people killed on the stretch of road outside my house in Canterbury, though they've now _eventually_ got around to putting some speed calming in there. I visited the survivor of one of the accidents in hospital, about 3 months after the accident, his mate wasn't so lucky. Brick wall retaining god knows how many tonnes of earth vs mini = extremely not good. Notably one I remember recently was when a cyclist was knocked off his bike trying to do a right turn out of a quite blind side road up the hill and broke his pelvis when he hit the ground.
Was right on the scene only like 1 minute after when a poor lad on his 17th birthday got off the bus he was travelling on, went round the front of it and was hit by a car overtaking the bus. Car loses windscreen - kid loses life several days later in hospital despite them trying to air lift him straight to hospital as fast as possible.
I saw a motorcyclist bored of the tedium of the Mont Blanc tunnel lose concentration or something and go head first into a stationary BMW going in the opposite direction to him (we were sitting in a traffic jam 50yds from the entrance). Apart from seriously ****ing his knee up (without breaking it) and totally denting his pride/shaking him up he seemed really lucky. Had the traffic jam not been there it'd have been a lot worse, still it stopped the traffic in the other direction for a while too.

Errr off the top of my head that's all the ones I can be bothered to type up about...

Alaric.
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
You assume because i am fleeing about in cars that i do not know the risks...i know the risks more than you understand mate. I know how deadly cars are! But there is one thing...who said i was proving anything...i drive fast and race because i like the excitement of it. You think i am ignorant to what could happen...i know that during a race one wrong turn could cost me my life, but that still doesn't stop it. "Why fear death to whome it comes naturally?" I aint being big headed i just like to race, thats all. When i do race we have runners to make sure the tracks are clear of walkers AND cyclists!! You want me to justify why i speed...i cannot but what i can say is that its my life and im going to enjoy it!!! Can you accept that?

Ps. I know cycling...it used to be my hobby before cars. I've been in an accident with a bike. Going down a road i turned and a car came outa no where, i hit the car and whack.
"I still cycle because I think the ends justify the means with all things considered" could you explain what you mean by that! That can mean a few things. I just want to let you know this isn't an argument. Its just a debate okay.
First of all I race. I do it on a track with a proper single seater racing car or sometimes a race kart (if I'm feeling poor). I have a licence to do this and I race against similarly qualified people.
What you do isn't racing and I am highly offended that you use the same word as me to describe your crime. I do doubt that you really understand what you are doing, the amount of times I have spun karts and cars over the years I have been racing is beyond my ability to remember - maybe hundreds. Has this happened to you? Do you know how little control you have over your car? Do you realise that road cars correct your bad driving themselves?
Anyway what do you get out of your criminal activities? Do you get a nice trophy? Do you get sponsorship? Can you claim to be a champion? Or is it just a cheap thrill?
Real racing becomes a driver or rider's way of life. Dont insult every competitor who has ever raced by saying tearing about in your car is your life in the same way it is of a sportsman. Is that all you think about all day? Is that what you work for and nothing else? I know thats how people involved in the sport think. I wont name drop but a lot of professional drivers I soeak to share my views.

It is so unfair on other road users what you do. If somebody crashes into me on the track and injures me then that is fair game because I knew that was a possibility before I started. But if you cause an accident involving another person or their property, just so you could have a little bit of fun, then that is absolutely dispicable. They dont deserve this because most people think the road is for going places not for commiting crimes on. They certainly dont expect to be injured whilst popping down the shops.

I use cycling for fitness and also because the feel you get from a road bike is similar to the feel you get from a race car. I do ride fast and take risks but its part of my sport and it takes a lot of skill and experience. You can achieve something by riding like this. Also, as the total weight of my bike and me comes to less than 75kg, even at 40mph, there is only a small amount of energy in the bike due its speed and this is unlikely to injure a motorist or knock down somebody's wall. I rarely break the speed limits on my bike and if I do its only ever by about 5 mph - a lot safer than what you would do.
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Real racing becomes a driver or rider's way of life. Dont insult every competitor who has ever raced by saying tearing about in your car is your life in the same way it is of a sportsman. Is that all you think about all day? Is that what you work for and nothing else? I know thats how people involved in the sport think. I wont name drop but a lot of professional drivers I soelak to share my views.

Lol....mate this aint a competition to see who is the best driver because obviously you consider yourself to be an amazing driver or sumthing like that! Personally i dont care how good/bad u are. I rly dont care how many cars or go karts you've tumbled because thats just classed as being big headed in my books by telling me this. All i did was tell sumone about a crash i had and you stepped in all high and mighty. No racing aint all i think about i got a georgeous gf, i got my studies, my job, my mates and a million other things. Again gonna tell ya thats its my life and i'll live it how i want! So just accept it if you can and by the way alot of my mates share my views...not telling names of course!
gwirion
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Last weekend I was in a car going down to Cardiff and the road was very icy. Anywayz, the car skidded slightly on the road at one point but as we were goin quite slow we were able to avoid losing control of the car. However the car that was coming towards us skidded, went crash into a little wall or summat, flipped over (I don't know how, I didn't see it happening personnally since we had passed the car, but our driver saw it in her mirror) and crashed into the wall on the other side. Pieces of the car were everywhere and even the engine of the car had fallen on to the road. Luckily there was only one woman in the car and she only needed stitches luckily. To think that if we had been there 10 seconds earlier we'd of been under that car.

Never been in something like that before! I was so scared lol! Oh well at least we got to go home instead of facing a thrashing from UWIC's hockey team!
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by gwirion)
Last weekend I was in a car going down to Cardiff and the road was very icy. Anywayz, the car skidded slightly on the road at one point but as we were goin quite slow we were able to avoid losing control of the car. However the car that was coming towards us skidded, went crash into a little wall or summat, flipped over (I don't know how, I didn't see it happening personnally since we had passed the car, but our driver saw it in her mirror) and crashed into the wall on the other side. Pieces of the car were everywhere and even the engine of the car had fallen on to the road. Luckily there was only one woman in the car and she only needed stitches luckily. To think that if we had been there 10 seconds earlier we'd of been under that car.

Never been in something like that before! I was so scared lol! Oh well at least we got to go home instead of facing a thrashing from UWIC's hockey team!
you are so lucky
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gwirion)

I agree that was very lucky!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah. My dad went into the back of someone. It wasn't anything serious though, so it isn't really worth writing about.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads