which car would be best for a first timer? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
im thinking of getting a car, im 17 and dont really know which would be the most ideal for a first time driver. any ideas?? please help me!!!

ive got a budget of about 3 grand for both the car and the insurance x
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Depends what your budget for car and insurance is!
Lbar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A slow and stopping one

seriously though, look 3rd/4th hand. wouldnt go over 600 quid on your first one because in my experience itll get trash some way or another after a while. 1.1 or 1.2 is most insurable, my first car was a 1.5 injection and cost be nearly 2 grand a year to insure :eek:

Also with older cars, the more features, the more that can break and you don't want to have too high maintenance costs because not much can write off a cheap car as not being cost-effective.
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lbar)
A slow and stopping one

seriously though, look 3rd/4th hand. wouldnt go over 600 quid on your first one because in my experience itll get trash some way or another after a while. 1.1 or 1.2 is most insurable, my first car was a 1.5 injection and cost be nearly 2 grand a year to insure :eek:

Also with older cars, the more features, the more that can break and you don't want to have too high maintenance costs because not much can write off a cheap car as not being cost-effective.
Very true unless you have a huge budget!
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lbar)
A slow and stopping one

my budget is about 2.5 - 3 grand for both the car and the insurance
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have had and used cars costing several thousands of pounds but my best ever car is my £75 Citroen AX.

I could have spent more but whats the point when this thing gets me to uni for next to nothing and never goes wrong.
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Michael Beaver)
I have had and used cars costing several thousands of pounds but my best ever car is my £75 Citroen AX.

I could have spent more but whats the point when this thing gets me to uni for next to nothing and never goes wrong.

Oh by the way I spend the rest of my money on my sport driving racing cars before I get any comments about it being a shopping trolley.
Lbar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Definately don't get a Nova or a Renault 5 Turbo

I would budget £1500 on the insurance and get a lower powered car for another £500 then use the rest on getting yourself a nice cd player for it
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
im thinking of getting a car, im 17 and dont really know which would be the most ideal for a first time driver. any ideas?? please help me!!!
If you want a car thats got good performance, easy to tune up and is a perfect first car i gotta say a Clio or a slightly cheaper one a corsa. It all depends on what your budget is and how much power you can handle, but the clio and corsa are the most popular of choice for a first timer! Happy Hunting x
mb85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Get an X5......one of my mate drives a red one and its pretty good and cheap........
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Get something slow. Please.
Amy
Rep:
?
Get something slow. Please.
why something slow?
how *** satans ***** has got to apologise to u? whats she done?
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why something slow?
how *** satans ***** has got to apologise to u? whats she done?

See thread about accident as to why you should get something slow.

As far as Satan's ***** is concerned... er... I forget. Maybe I should take her name off the list. :rolleyes:
Amy
Rep:
?
See thread about accident as to why you should get something slow.

As far as Satan's ***** is concerned... er... I forget. Maybe I should take her name off the list. :rolleyes:
oh, its just that i no her and i couldnt imagin her doin anythin that would offend u, i dont think shes been on here for a while.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh, its just that i no her and i couldnt imagin her doin anythin that would offend u, i dont think shes been on here for a while.
big *cough* head
poowpoow
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

ive got a budget of about 3 grand for both the car and the insurance x
I DONT KNOW

A REALLY OLD RUSTY BANGY ONE
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lumpycustard)
big *cough* head
what???
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by poowpoow)
I DONT KNOW

A REALLY OLD RUSTY BANGY ONE
no rose, thats your car!!!
chrisbphd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The X5 is quite possibly the worst design ever to leave a BMW factory. Yes, it's even worse than the new 5. It looks like someone chiseled it out of a block of steel.

(Original post by mb85)
Get an X5......one of my mate drives a red one and its pretty good and cheap........
Amy
Rep:
?
(Original post by chrisbphd)
The X5 is quite possibly the worst design ever to leave a BMW factory. Yes, it's even worse than the new 5. It looks like someone chiseled it out of a block of steel.
yeah, the words first time car and bmw dont really go together...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1619)
79.13%
Leave (427)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed