This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Recently it has come to my attention that the company whom I work for is looking to make cutbacks. I suspect that as one of the more recent additions I may be looked to as a logical place to start and was wondering what my rights were.

I have been employed with them for almost 21 months but did not sign a written contract. Apparantly this means that I am employed under the national terms and conditions of employement.

Apparantly if they wish to "sack" me they have to adhear to the following (assuming that I am not guilty of gross misconduct):

1. Verbal warning.
2. Written warning one.
3. Final warning.
4. Dismissal

Since I have not even had a formal verbal warning for any reason I find it unlikley that they will take this method.

What is the situation should they choose to make me redundant? I have a friend who has been employed for a similiar amount of time with a blue chip company and is going to get a four or five figure sum as redundancy pay. If my company chose this line would they be obliged to give me a "pay off"?

Having said that this could just be me being paranoid. None of the above may even happen!
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Recently it has come to my attention that the company whom I work for is looking to make cutbacks. I suspect that as one of the more recent additions I may be looked to as a logical place to start and was wondering what my rights were.

I have been employed with them for almost 21 months but did not sign a written contract. Apparantly this means that I am employed under the national terms and conditions of employement.

Apparantly if they wish to "sack" me they have to adhear to the following (assuming that I am not guilty of gross misconduct):

1. Verbal warning.
2. Written warning one.
3. Final warning.
4. Dismissal

Since I have not even had a formal verbal warning for any reason I find it unlikley that they will take this method.

What is the situation should they choose to make me redundant? I have a friend who has been employed for a similiar amount of time with a blue chip company and is going to get a four or five figure sum as redundancy pay. If my company chose this line would they be obliged to give me a "pay off"?

Having said that this could just be me being paranoid. None of the above may even happen!
Why don't you have a contract? Is possible to work in UK without it?
When I say possible I mean, legal.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Why don't you have a contract? Is possible to work in UK without it?
When I say possible I mean, legal.
It is legal, it means that you are employed under a "standard contract of employment".
EI_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
It is legal, it means that you are employed under a "standard contract of employment".
Well, here the employer must send you a letter one month before and pay you the current month and the next, then the pay off.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (229)
61.23%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.28%
No- I want it (104)
27.81%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.68%

Watched Threads