The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The_Barman
Euro or the Pound??? I would like to hear some other opinions on the topic. I dont know about you but i couldnt live with the Euro...i like the feel of a pound coin in my pocket...i've been used to it since i can remember. Plus could someone please explain the exchange rate for it to me...im a little hazy on the subject...thanks

Well, here in Spain we use Euro, I came here 10 months and I got used to it soon, is pretty easy to understand.

http://www.xe.com you can check the exchange rate in that page.
Reply 2
POUND ALL THE WAY - Another problem with BLAIR he's obsessed with us joining the Euro under his leadership to cement his place in history.
Reply 3
Go with whatever is best for the future of the economy. I'd be slightly wary though, not on a jingoistic way, but it would remove some of our sovereign rights.
Reply 4
The_Barman
Euro or the Pound??? I would like to hear some other opinions on the topic. I dont know about you but i couldnt live with the Euro...i like the feel of a pound coin in my pocket...i've been used to it since i can remember. Plus could someone please explain the exchange rate for it to me...im a little hazy on the subject...thanks

deffo the pound!!!! its a british institution!!
Reply 5
~*glitter*~
deffo the pound!!!! its a british institution!!

What kind of argument is that??? Italy adopted the Euro a few years ago now and is no less 'culturally' Italian as a result of the change of currency. It's the same story with the other countrie sin the EuroZone.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 6
hildabeast
What kind of argument is that??? Italy adopted the Euro a few years ago now and is no less 'culturally' Italian as a result of the change of currency. It's the same story with the other countrie sin the EuroZone.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Italy rulez.
Reply 7
the..........POUND :biggrin:
Reply 8
euro
Reply 9
The economic effects of introducing the Euro are at best unclear.

However, the political effects are pretty clear cut: Introducing the Euro basically giving up the sovereignty over monetary policy. In the long term, a unified monetary policy implies a unified fiscal policy.
Adopting the Euro would mean giving up Britain's "economic sovereignty".
The question is: Do you want to go there? Most British people would probably not want that kind of level of European integration.

The Euro is therefore fundamentally a question of European integration, and not a purely economic question, as the government wants people to believe. It is a political issue as well as an economic issue. Politics are more important as economics, therefore the UK should approach the question mainly from a political point of view.
Reply 10
zizero
The economic effects of introducing the Euro are at best unclear.

However, the political effects are pretty clear cut: Introducing the Euro basically giving up the sovereignty over monetary policy. In the long term, a unified monetary policy implies a unified fiscal policy.
Adopting the Euro would mean giving up Britain's "economic sovereignty".
The question is: Do you want to go there? Most British people would probably not want that kind of level of European integration.

The Euro is therefore fundamentally a question of European integration, and not a purely economic question, as the government wants people to believe. It is a political issue as well as an economic issue. Politics are more important as economics, therefore the UK should approach the question mainly from a political point of view.

Ayrton Senna.
Reply 11
Nothing wrong with the £, at least this way economic problems in unstable eastern european countries shouldn't effect us as much!
Reply 12
Eternal Idol
Ayrton Senna.

Good to know, SOMEONE remembers my childhood-hero and greatest ever racing-driver... :tongue:
Well currently i believe that adopting the euro would be disasterous for the uk, because of the various differences between the eurozone and the uk.
But, i am not against the euro altogether. I do believe that britain, when the time is right, should adopt the euro, but, just about the only thing i believe the government has done well at is in the economy, losing control over things now would send britain into a slump, and possibly even a recession. This should be by all methods possible be avoided.
Reply 14
The moment we join the Euro is the moment i leave this country!
Daveo
The moment we join the Euro is the moment i leave this country!

What, to go to europe?
Reply 16
Iluvatar
What, to go to europe?

LOL, no! The good old US of A - I hope George W is gone by then!
I've used the euro on holiday before and I think it's a nice currency. I've nothing against the pound, but I would prefer to have euro in England.
Daveo
LOL, no! The good old US of A - I hope George W is gone by then!

What would you do if britain joined the dollar then?
Reply 19
a_musical_guy
I've used the euro on holiday before and I think it's a nice currency. I've nothing against the pound, but I would prefer to have euro in England.

So we can join up to the USE?

Latest