The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Accomodation

hey, is anyone currently at Warwick?? can u tell me abit more about the accomodation.........especially Arthur Vick, Jack Martin, New Rootes, Cryfield and Benefactors pls?
I know pretty much about the facilities as its on the website.....but I wanna know more about the sort of people at the places and where its situated (e.g noisy, lively, quiet?!) and whether any r segregated.
I'm also aware that when u make ur preferences, u can only choose 1 with en-suite.....which is better? AV or JM?

Thanks.
Arthur Vick is better than Jack Martin.

As for Rootes, you can only apply for Rootes and not old or new rootes.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Na, Jack Martin is better. I'm so glad I chose JM, although I have to admit, I did flip a coin.

AV have their own laundrette plus a lounge, and an extra fridge than JM, but they do have a reputation for never going out and just staying in. Tend to get the richer, private school type people there, although there are obviously exceptions. The rooms are huge in AV. Furthest away from the union - quiet. Hall type set up.

Jack Martin is nice, some people say it's like a hotel. Gets very warm. JM3 has just been given lots of new furniture, which is nice. It's closer to the union than AV, a 5/10 minute walk as opposed to a 10/15 walk to AV. Good mix of people, although obv going to be the ones who can afford to pay £81 a week. Kitchen is ok, not a lot of cupboard space, only 1 fridge and freezer between 11 or 13. It's quieter than most campus accomodation, people work hard but aslo know how to play hard too. I've only ever had once when I've been annoyed because it's been so noisy, and my room's right next to the kitchen. Hall set up.

Rootes has a reputation for being the party place. Don't apply there if you're intending on going to bed early every night and attempting to work in the evenings. Very noisy, but apparently great fun. Everyone I know in Rootes is having a great time. Even some people in JM have said they regret not going to Rootes. Can't remember how many to a bathroom, but they say they're ok. Nice kitchens from what I remember (I was drunk). Halls - big long narrow corridors. You get to know more people in Rootes, the corridors stretch all the way along the building I think.

Cryfield - I've never been, it has a reputation for being scummy though. Apparently built based on a womens prison from the 60's. I'm going to have to visit one day. My bf lived there in first year, he really enjoyed it. Don't know whether it's halls or flats.

Benefactors - walked past it last night for the first time ever. Never met anyone who lives there. Don't know anything about it at all. Sorry.

Don't understand what you mean by segregated. Separate sex areas possibly? Don't think there are any single sex areas.

Looks like you're looking at hall situations rather than flats like Tocil or Whitefields. I did too.

Hope this helps
My brother is in AV2- he reckons it's OK. The extra facilities are more than worth the extra £2/week. Cryfield is halls btw- they aren't too bad considering the price. I've got friends in Whitefields and Westwood- they both like their halls as well.

Generally speaking, even the worst halls in Warwick are of a fairly good standard.
Reply 4
picju96
Na, Jack Martin is better. I'm so glad I chose JM, although I have to admit, I did flip a coin.

AV have their own laundrette plus a lounge, and an extra fridge than JM, but they do have a reputation for never going out and just staying in. Tend to get the richer, private school type people there, although there are obviously exceptions. The rooms are huge in AV. Furthest away from the union - quiet. Hall type set up.

Jack Martin is nice, some people say it's like a hotel. Gets very warm. JM3 has just been given lots of new furniture, which is nice. It's closer to the union than AV, a 5/10 minute walk as opposed to a 10/15 walk to AV. Good mix of people, although obv going to be the ones who can afford to pay £81 a week. Kitchen is ok, not a lot of cupboard space, only 1 fridge and freezer between 11 or 13. It's quieter than most campus accomodation, people work hard but aslo know how to play hard too. I've only ever had once when I've been annoyed because it's been so noisy, and my room's right next to the kitchen. Hall set up.

Rootes has a reputation for being the party place. Don't apply there if you're intending on going to bed early every night and attempting to work in the evenings. Very noisy, but apparently great fun. Everyone I know in Rootes is having a great time. Even some people in JM have said they regret not going to Rootes. Can't remember how many to a bathroom, but they say they're ok. Nice kitchens from what I remember (I was drunk). Halls - big long narrow corridors. You get to know more people in Rootes, the corridors stretch all the way along the building I think.

Cryfield - I've never been, it has a reputation for being scummy though. Apparently built based on a womens prison from the 60's. I'm going to have to visit one day. My bf lived there in first year, he really enjoyed it. Don't know whether it's halls or flats.

Benefactors - walked past it last night for the first time ever. Never met anyone who lives there. Don't know anything about it at all. Sorry.

Don't understand what you mean by segregated. Separate sex areas possibly? Don't think there are any single sex areas.

Looks like you're looking at hall situations rather than flats like Tocil or Whitefields. I did too.

Hope this helps

Thanx Picju96..........thats really helpful......well i've heard about Rootes being really sociable too and that u get to meet more people there than some of the other places. Yes i am looking for halls.........flats don't sound appealing......r they any good?? compared to the halls?!
do u know whether i can specify New Rootes instead of Rootes on its own? cos i've heard that Old rootes r a bit crap. lol, i think i prefer the sound of JM to AV........thanx again! oh .....what r u studying there? and how do u find the place? and the student union?!
Reply 5
MuvverRussia
My brother is in AV2- he reckons it's OK. The extra facilities are more than worth the extra £2/week. Cryfield is halls btw- they aren't too bad considering the price. I've got friends in Whitefields and Westwood- they both like their halls as well.

Generally speaking, even the worst halls in Warwick are of a fairly good standard.

yeah i'm aware that even the really cheap rooms weren't bad, i was impressed with all the accomodation at Warwick. I don't really like Whitefields and Westwood.....nothing appealing to be honest. Thanx for the info.
Reply 6
wonkey
Thanx Picju96..........thats really helpful......well i've heard about Rootes being really sociable too and that u get to meet more people there than some of the other places. Yes i am looking for halls.........flats don't sound appealing......r they any good?? compared to the halls?!
do u know whether i can specify New Rootes instead of Rootes on its own? cos i've heard that Old rootes r a bit crap. lol, i think i prefer the sound of JM to AV........thanx again! oh .....what r u studying there? and how do u find the place? and the student union?!

Definately go for halls, much nicer. One of my friends is in Tocil flats, his room is tiny! All the final year and post grad campus accomodation is in flats of 5/6, they're nice.

Don't think you can specify which Rootes, I've been to both and they both look nice. Quite large rooms too.

I'm studying Biology, I'm loving it here. Everyone's really friendly, and they make you feel at home. Made some really good friends too. Student union is huge, but doesn't really feel huge. You generally have to be rather drunk when you go there. There's something on every night, and all tastes in music are catered for. Lisa Mafia is there tonight and possibly Romeo but I'm not too sure about that. Erm. I'm going to try and attach a picture of the brass band in the union last night. First time i've done this. Heh, got a server busy message. Anyway, this picture will show you what the dance floor is like. It's taken from the level above looking down. Oh picture is too large. I'll find some way of cutting it down then post it later.
Reply 7
lol cheers

Latest

Trending

Trending