The Student Room Group

Can You Have Sex With Phimosis?

I've searched this question a lot and still haven't found a clear/in-depth answer. I am currently suffering from phimosis. I can just about retract my foreskin IF im flaccid, but even then I cannot do it all the way and I have to force it a bit. When my penis is erect I 100% cannot retract it over my head.

I am starting to do the whole stretching thing now and will be seeing a urologist too, but in the mean time the opportunity for sex will most probably arise so I want to know:
Can I have sex with phimosis?
I am pretty damn sure I cant have it without a condom.....I mean I have gotten handjobs before and it hasnt been much of problem (sometimes they can be quite uncomfortable) but it was more than do-able. What I want to know is if I were to put my foreskin up and then put my condom on, would I be able to have sex?

So basically, if I were to put my foreskin up and then put a condom up, would my foreskin still move up and down during sex?

Really any help would be awesome. I dont want to try and have sex and then once its in realise it's just not going to work or it's going to be too painful...

Scroll to see replies

why worry about it when you can see a doc and get it sorted out easily enough??
Reply 2
Because I have seen the GP already, but he needs to 'refer' me to a urologist which can take around 2 weeks and then after that he must analayse it and decide on the treatment. The treatment (preferably surgery) would then probably be arranged to take place after 2 weeks minimum (probably more). So we are looking at a MINIMUM of 1 month to get it fixed by the Doc - and I will most likely be having sex/have the opportunity to have sex within a week or two from now.

So in the mean time I want to know if I were to roll my foreskin up and put the condom on, would it stay in that position during sex or would it really force my foreskin back? (which would hurt me a lot).
My boyfriend has a very tight foreskin that tbh I don't know why he didn't have removed when he was younger. That said, although it's tight, we can have sex with no real problems. I tend to just leave it alone, sometimes it doesn't retract fully but I've never specifically hurt him. I know he had to go to hospital once as a teenager though after he hurt himself having sex.

I think with things like this, the rule is basically that if it's sore you should stop. If it's not sore, then it's probably okay. If you have the surgery, you'll be out of action for months anyways healing up so I'd probably go for it. Just stop if it gets sore.
Reply 4
Thanks for the post. Can you guys have sex without a condom though? And when he puts a condom on does he have leave his foreskin forward?
Stretch your foreskin to loosen up the phimosis. Do this in the time between now and you having sex. Afterwards, continue this whilst you're waiting for a urologist.

Do not jump right into a circumcision. Exhaust all the stretching options first (there are many threads and other detailed sources of info on this, have a look on Google). Circumcision is an irreversible procedure which you should not take lightly. Considering you'll be out of action for a long time after a circumcision should you choose it, you've nothing to lose by stretching first, which will take a similar amount of time. Do it every day, and don't give up!

On to your questions:

--You can have sex with phimosis without a condom, but the more severe the phimosis is, the less pleasant it will feel. For a relatively mild case in which the foreskin comes down but with some resistance, sex without a condom can feel more or less fine as long as the vagina is very lubricated. Your case sounds severe, so I would not recommend you do it without a condom, lest you cause some damage.

--If you put your foreskin up whilst putting on a condom, it won't move up and down during sex - not more than a mm or two, anyway. It might be able to move a little due to the extra space in the condom end teat, however due to the condom's tightness plus the closed top end, the foreskin has no room to move.

You can trust me with this because when I first started having sex with my girlfriend, I still had a mild phimosis problem which I had almost cleared up. I felt more comfortable leaving the foreskin rolled up, and so for the first few times of sex I left it there when I put on the condom. Sometimes this was okay as long as I was really, really in the mood for sex. However, since the foreskin camnnot move behind the head in the condom, it really cut off most of the feeling. When the condom is rolled back during sex the condom itself is the only barrier between your inner penis and the vagina. The foreskin adds another second thick layer to this, and since most of the feeling when masturbating comes from the foreskin's movement, when it came to sex I could feel very little other than it was inside her vagina. This actually led to losing my hard-on during sex quite often, and wasted a lot of condoms which you can't obviously reuse.

That being said, the foreskin hardly moves much itself during sex with it pulled back inside a condom, since the snug fit of the condom prevents it moving much. The feeling comes from the exposure of the sensitive glans and inner penis and its movement.

I';m not trying to put you off - if it's the only thing you can do, then by all means you should do it because the feeling of trying to force back an unmoving foreskin will not make sex work out. For the time being, come to the compromise of keeping the foreskin ahead of the glans inside the condom, until you've done enough stretching to make a particular difference. Get a prescription of Betnovate ointment or cream for this - rub a little of it on the foreskin whilst you stretch; this is the key to making it work quickly. Betnovate's steroid content thins the skin and makes it far more receptive to loosening after long-term stretching. This is well-known medical knowledge and a doctor should give you this with no problems.

And once again, never have a circumcision done as your first choice. It is a permanent change and you may regret it if you turn out to dislike the results. Stretch the foreskin and do it for months before you consider that - it's not a quick fix; it can take weeks to months to recover from and you are unlikely to want any sex during the recovery period. You've nothing to lose by stretching first.
(I'm the anon poster who wrote about my own experiences, the steroid cream, etc)

Just a few extra things:

--Regarding surgery, you probably already know this, but one surgery solution to a stubborn foreskin that won't move is called a dorsal slit. From my own memory I don't know too much about this other than knowing it's a slit down your foreskin which immediately loosens it and opens it up more to come down. This may be done in the case of extremely stubborn phimosis that does not respond to stretching.

--Pull back the foreskin while it's flaccid. Is the frenulum causing a problem? The frenulum is the visible ridge-like piece of skin on the underside of the penis, attached vertically between the penis head and lower shaft. If it is too short, it will restrict the foreskin - if you can see the ridge evidently pulling on the foreskin and restricting its movement behind the head, then this is an entirely separate issue that is just as important, solved by a different surgery called a Frenuloplasty. I had this done myself. The surgery involves simply making incisions along the frenulum, opening it up in a way and making it longer - this will fully release the foreskin to come all the way down the shaft and will remove the possibility of the frenulum snapping or tearing during sex. Recovery to full sexual activity is about 2-3 weeks.

To the other anon poster here - was this what caused your boyfriend to end up in hospital? Just guessing here of course, but just in case it was the frenulum, then his foreskin problems might be caused by it and he might consider this surgery.
Sorry to more or less triple post, but as for my first, longer post above, I apologise for some of the silly spelling mistakes, etc. I was up all night last night.
Reply 8
To the poster above - Thanks you so, so much. Couldn't have asked for a better reply. I've looked hard about ways to sort the situation out and I think my number one option is the dorsal slit surgery (not circmucision). And also, I can definately see my frenulum restricting the movement of my foreskin down below the glans. Even if when erect my foreskin was loose enough to go over the head, the frenulum would not allow it. Luckily however, a Preputioplasty and a Frenuloplasty can actually be done at the same time so it's certainly looking like my number one option. My GP immediately recommended a circumcision but I told him I would prefer a dorsal slit operation and he replied "This is a conversation that should be kept for the urologist" so I hope my urologist would be willing to go for the surgery instead of circumcision.

Anyway I would like to thank you again for your help mate, gunna stop me worrying a lot. Even if the sex isn't so pleasurable, its better than nothing. Not to mention I get boners quite easily so I dont think that will be a problem lol. Cheers.
Original post by Anonymous
To the poster above - Thanks you so, so much. Couldn't have asked for a better reply. I've looked hard about ways to sort the situation out and I think my number one option is the dorsal slit surgery (not circmucision). And also, I can definately see my frenulum restricting the movement of my foreskin down below the glans. Even if when erect my foreskin was loose enough to go over the head, the frenulum would not allow it. Luckily however, a Preputioplasty and a Frenuloplasty can actually be done at the same time so it's certainly looking like my number one option. My GP immediately recommended a circumcision but I told him I would prefer a dorsal slit operation and he replied "This is a conversation that should be kept for the urologist" so I hope my urologist would be willing to go for the surgery instead of circumcision.

Anyway I would like to thank you again for your help mate, gunna stop me worrying a lot. Even if the sex isn't so pleasurable, its better than nothing. Not to mention I get boners quite easily so I dont think that will be a problem lol. Cheers.

I'm really happy you found it helpful, you're welcome :smile: It's great to see you're all on top of things and know what you're going to have done. That's important, as not all doctors know everything that's right or wrong for a tight foreskin, e.g. your doctor recommending a circumcision. The first doctor I went to had no idea - thought I was just growing up and didn't understand my anatomy down there. Needless to say, my new doctor is superb.

Indeed the urologist would make the authoritative recommendation, and I think any good urologist should agree with your suggestion for a preputioplasty and frenuloplasty together. Definitely the frenuloplasty for the frenulum problem - it's the only proper way of sorting that, and as you said, it's ideal to get them done together, saving a lot of time on a waiting list. When I saw my urologist about frenulum breve, he needed less than 2 minutes of examination before agreeing that a frenuloplasty should be done, which was relieving.

Again, I'm glad you've got everything in line and I'm sure it'll all go fine. In the meantime, make sure to enjoy yourself :smile:
I had a preputioplasty and frenuloplasty at the same time for my phimosis. It didn't work and I've only just recently lost my virginity. I've had sex several times after that and I haven't came once due to the pain, we had to stop cos she couldn't take anymore. I've got the docs soon to see what I can do about it. Do you guys recommend condoms? Maybe it will get rid of some of the pain?
you do realise that all the doc is going to do is chop off the end of your ****
Reply 12
(I'm the anon poster who wrote about my own experiences, the steroid cream, etc)

Just a few extra things:

--Regarding surgery, you probably already know this, but one surgery solution to a stubborn foreskin that won't move is called a dorsal slit. From my own memory I don't know too much about this other than knowing it's a slit down your foreskin which immediately loosens it and opens it up more to come down. This may be done in the case of extremely stubborn phimosis that does not respond to stretching.

--Pull back the foreskin while it's flaccid. Is the frenulum causing a problem? The frenulum is the visible ridge-like piece of skin on the underside of the penis, attached vertically between the penis head and lower shaft. If it is too short, it will restrict the foreskin - if you can see the ridge evidently pulling on the foreskin and restricting its movement behind the head, then this is an entirely separate issue that is just as important, solved by a different surgery called a Frenuloplasty. I had this done myself. The surgery involves simply making incisions along the frenulum, opening it up in a way and making it longer - this will fully release the foreskin to come all the way down the shaft and will remove the possibility of the frenulum snapping or tearing during sex. Recovery to full sexual activity is about 2-3 weeks.

To the other anon poster here - was this what caused your boyfriend to end up in hospital? Just guessing here of course, but just in case it was the frenulum, then his foreskin problems might be caused by it and he might consider this surgery.

HI are you still online/check this thread? in the same position and would like if you could reply to a few questions would really help
guess so, I don't know her

is she hot ?
Reply 15
I had a frenulopsity done about 2 months ago yet weren't it will not go fully back. My girlfriend and I are having sex tommorow and I am worried something will tear. Will a condom prevent the foreskin going back and if I peel back a little then put the condom on will it stay at that set height or will it get forced down and tear? I am greatly worried please help!
I had a frenulopsity done about 2 months ago yet weren't it will not go fully back. My girlfriend and I are having sex tommorow and I am worried something will tear. Will a condom prevent the foreskin going back and if I peel back a little then put the condom on will it stay at that set height or will it get forced down and tear? I am greatly worried please help!
My ex boyfriend has phimosis - and over time, although it was very hard to have sex at first, the skin actually slowly started to be able to go further down the shaft.
If you're trying your best now to keep going - do!
Reply 18
I've searched this question a lot and still haven't found a clear/in-depth answer. I am currently suffering from phimosis. I can just about retract my foreskin IF im flaccid, but even then I cannot do it all the way and I have to force it a bit. When my penis is erect I 100% cannot retract it over my head.

I am starting to do the whole stretching thing now and will be seeing a urologist too, but in the mean time the opportunity for sex will most probably arise so I want to know:
Can I have sex with phimosis?
I am pretty damn sure I cant have it without a condom.....I mean I have gotten handjobs before and it hasnt been much of problem (sometimes they can be quite uncomfortable) but it was more than do-able. What I want to know is if I were to put my foreskin up and then put my condom on, would I be able to have sex?

So basically, if I were to put my foreskin up and then put a condom up, would my foreskin still move up and down during sex?

Really any help would be awesome. I dont want to try and have sex and then once its in realise it's just not going to work or it's going to be too painful...

I am 30, and have had a short frenulum and a foreskin that has a normal sized opening, but I do not fully retract it, because of fearful tearing! Lol

However, I have been masturbating since my early teen years, and can control the tightness and looseness of my hand, where my foreskin can remain in a good and neutral position during the activity.

But, when I had unprotected sex about 4 times, and a confom burst like 3 times, the tightness and friction of the woman's vagina does grasp your foreskin circularly, and push back on it, as you thrust forwardly in her during sex. I didn't really recognize it either time, until I felt an extra cooling sensation than normal; I would pull out and notice my foreskin drawed back, exposing the head. Very shockingly and frightened about the unknown, I would try to flaccid my erection, so the soft, non-aroused head can be squeezable to get the skin back over it. However, when I had an unprotected encounter, the woman's vagina was so loose and wet, until my foreskin stayed in its normal mode the entire time.

But to answer your BIG question, yes!!! When you place a condom on an uncircimcised penis which the foreskin is in its rightfully place, that condom will hold and maintain the skin's postion. The latex rubber will act as the outer skins traversing the juices in the vagina (tight or loose) backwards and forwards while motioning. All of my other sexual sessions I've used a condom for that very purpose. I have never suffered a rip or tear, or bloody mess, other than pulling out and finding my skin drawed back, and immediately correcting it. :smile:
thanks for that, i've too much tight skin and im virgin. i and my gf gonna sex this month end and im so worried cuz she is also a virgin.

Latest