red brick universities Watch

This discussion is closed.
cherub_rock
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hey there you bunch of lovelies!
I was just wondering, I know certain employers find it preferable to employ someone from a red brick university. I was just wondering-other than cambridge and oxford and liverpool (the "original" red brick university, coining the phrase)....
where the hell are the others?!
If you could let me know I would like to know as Im compiling a list.
....for
....myself.
I know I should know already. Sorry-I'm not a uni basher.
xx:-)xxx:-)xxxx:-)xxxxx:-)xxxxx:-)xxxxx:-)xxxxx:-)
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cherub_rock)
Hey there you bunch of lovelies!
I was just wondering, I know certain employers find it preferable to employ someone from a red brick university. I was just wondering-other than cambridge and oxford and liverpool (the "original" red brick university, coining the phrase)....
where the hell are the others?!
If you could let me know I would like to know as Im compiling a list.
....for
....myself.
I know I should know already. Sorry-I'm not a uni basher.
xx:-)xxx:-)xxxx:-)xxxxx:-)xxxxx:-)xxxxx:-)xxxxx:-)
Erm I know that Manchester and Durham are.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Salford believe it or not is actually classed a red brick uni. Manchester, UMIST, York, Lancaster etc. Threre are loads, you have traditional unis such as Oxbridge, Durham etc, they are not red brick they are in a league of their own.

I would say at least 40 universities are classed as redbrick.
AmyBlue
Report 15 years ago
we are so in a league of our own!!!!!!
AveHan
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Salford believe it or not is actually classed a red brick uni. Manchester, UMIST, York, Lancaster etc. Threre are loads, you have traditional unis such as Oxbridge, Durham etc, they are not red brick they are in a league of their own.

I would say at least 40 universities are classed as redbrick.
Yup we are one of the elite universities, better than the red brick ones, so there you go, we're so cool!!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What is the difference between a rebrick and a traditional uni?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Traditional universities is generally a term used to distinguish between ex-polys and non-ex-polys.
And red brick is the oldest and highest reputation ones of the traditional unis? So salford is a traditional uni rather than a red brick.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is there a chronologically ordered list of University establishment in the UK someone can point me in the direction of?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
Yup we are one of the elite universities, better than the red brick ones, so there you go, we're so cool!!
Lol what a load of '*******s'. Unfortunatley Durham was once a highly regarded academic institute, but in recent times it has begun to rely much more on it's supposed status than academic teaching and therefore is plummeting in the rankings. It's academic standard is certainly not comparable with other 'newer' universities nowadays e.g lse, nottingham etc.
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
Lol what a load of '*******s'. Unfortunatley Durham was once a highly regarded academic institute, but in recent times it has begun to rely much more on it's supposed status than academic teaching and therefore is plummeting in the rankings. It's academic standard is certainly not comparable with other 'newer' universities nowadays e.g lse, nottingham etc.
hah oh god don't start her off again please, let people keep their dillusions, we'll see what happens when they apply for jobs
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
What is the difference between a rebrick and a traditional uni?
In the beginning there was Oxford. Then some scholars got expelled and set up Cambridge.

Then Durham was set up to emulate them. And London, to name a few. These are the traditional unis. Others include Bristol and Edinborough.

Then an act of parliament in the 60's started a uni boom. These modern institutes were literally built using modern ideas, including bricks. These were coined 'red-bricks' as red is a popular brick colour. These include York, Warwick and Bath.

Then the Higher Education Act 1992 converted most polytechnic colleges into universities. These are generally seen as inferior to the above.

Generally, the older the uni, the more prestigious it is.

J.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
In the beginning there was Oxford. Then some scholars got expelled and set up Cambridge.

Then Durham was set up to emulate them. And London, to name a few. These are the traditional unis. Others include Bristol and Edinborough.

Then an act of parliament in the 60's started a uni boom. These modern institutes were literally built using modern ideas, including bricks. These were coined 'red-bricks' as red is a popular brick colour. These include York, Warwick and Bath.

Then the Higher Education Act 1992 converted most polytechnic colleges into universities. These are generally seen as inferior to the above.

Generally, the older the uni, the more prestigious it is.

J.
Yep and if colleges such as Bolton and Northampton get there way and become unis there will be new new unis (i.e newer than the 1992 ex polys).

Bolton has been rejected once though, probably because it is a dump.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rah)
hah oh god don't start her off again please, let people keep their dillusions, we'll see what happens when they apply for jobs
we sure will . And I am NEVER wrong
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
we sure will . And I am NEVER wrong

You're wrong there
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
First of all, ask yourself, roughly what grades your expecting and then what you want to read. If its at the top end look at some top ten uni's and 1 or 2 of the others. If not, just do what everyone else does and apply to york or durham, you're sure to get in.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
First of all, ask yourself, roughly what grades your expecting and then what you want to read. If its at the top end look at some top ten uni's and 1 or 2 of the others. If not, just do what everyone else does and apply to york or durham, you're sure to get in.
York is a top 10 uni.
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
York is a top 10 uni.
what a paradox, i don't believe it!!
Next you'll tell me Durham is in the top 20
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
what a paradox, i don't believe it!!
Next you'll tell me Durham is in the top 20
Nah, nothing as ridiculous as that...

But..York does, at first glance, come in the top ten of every major newspaper (Tele: 2nd, Guardian: 6th, Times: 7th, Sunday Times: 7th, FT: 8th)

So why the scepticism?
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Nah, nothing as ridiculous as that...

But..York does, at first glance, come in the top ten of every major newspaper (Tele: 2nd, Guardian: 6th, Times: 7th, Sunday Times: 7th, FT: 8th)

So why the scepticism?
It's more him being ignorant than sceptical.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Umm...not one of those is an original redbrick...and redbricks weren't the 60's charter uni's they were the 1850s-1920 unis...big civic uni's modelled on UCL.

Please read the definition: http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbrick

And Oxbridge+durham are traditional universities but so are York Warwick and Bath and Sussex....the 3 oldest uni's are referred to as the ancient uni's if they have any collective name.
That web site is pretty good...

J.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
19.94%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (134)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (131)
39.58%

Watched Threads