Uni Exams - they wont let people fail! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
it seems that they really dont want you to fail these exams next week, i have 3 modules, engineering 1, maths and prof. studies.

for engineering 1, you can choose from

50% each from parts a and b now or in the summer,
or 35% each for a and b and 30% for the coursework weve done,
or 25% each for a and b in the summer, plus 10% each for a and b from now and 30 % cw.
or 25% each for a and b now, plus 10% each for a and b from in the summer and 30 % cw.

so basically, they try their hardest to get you to 40% needed to pass the year!

engineering is the only one you need to get 40% in or fail, if you get more than 30 in the other two they move them up!

also the test is out of 100, but there are 120 marks- 100 is the max you can get.

so what im trying to say is that it seems they are going to try their best not to let you fail!

anyone else got this happy situation?
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what's the point in even having exams then?
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
so they feel they actually do stuff at uni rather than dossing about
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
it makes the LEAs happy
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
it makes the LEAs happy
but Engineering is solid.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not exactly - any modules I take with the economics department (thats 1 this year) say i must get 40% to pass, though the mark from the module comes from either 100% of the summer examination mark or 50% coursework and 50% summer exam - whichever is higher.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
anyone else got this happy situation?
On my course last year (I think some of the percentages change this year but is otherwise the same) they arrange the year group so that 25% get firsts, 30% below that get 2:1s, 35% below that get 2:2s and the bottom 10% is thirds. If your mark once scaled to the percentage system is less than 0 you fail.
I've only heard of one person failing, I know of a few thirds though.

Alaric.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At my University (Salford) 40% grade fixing goes on. People do fail, people in my group failed to achieve 40%. However its fixed thats is fairly easy to get 40%, however to get 60% you will need to do twice as much work, and to get 80% you have to be very good.

I think the average grade is around 55% but can't remember.They want you pass so they can get the fees from that student next year and also it looks good on their lower dropout figures. However the students that don't do well in the exams are very unlikely to get a 2:1 or above. Passing a degree at 40% 3rd class is a peice of piss, passing at 2:1 or above is much harder.
Cretin
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
it seems that they really dont want you to fail these exams next week, i have 3 modules, engineering 1, maths and prof. studies.

for engineering 1, you can choose from

50% each from parts a and b now or in the summer,
or 35% each for a and b and 30% for the coursework weve done,
or 25% each for a and b in the summer, plus 10% each for a and b from now and 30 % cw.
or 25% each for a and b now, plus 10% each for a and b from in the summer and 30 % cw.

What's your point? How is that trying their hardest not to let you fail? I don't understand what you mean? You still need to get 40% or whatever so you can fail at the end of the day I don't get what you mean. Jibberish
Cretin
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
At my University (Salford) 40% grade fixing goes on. People do fail, people in my group failed to achieve 40%. However its fixed thats is fairly easy to get 40%, however to get 60% you will need to do twice as much work, and to get 80% you have to be very good.

I think the average grade is around 55% but can't remember.They want you pass so they can get the fees from that student next year and also it looks good on their lower dropout figures. However the students that don't do well in the exams are very unlikely to get a 2:1 or above. Passing a degree at 40% 3rd class is a peice of piss, passing at 2:1 or above is much harder.

How much do you need for a 1st thats what i'll be getting piece of piss hopefully. Do they have grades like abcdeU depending on the marks and UMS like Alevels or what?
Cretin
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
so they feel they actually do stuff at uni rather than dossing about

Whats the point in university then?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cretin)
How much do you need for a 1st thats what i'll be getting piece of piss hopefully. Do they have grades like abcdeU depending on the marks and UMS like Alevels or what?
At my university they just give you a percentage.

I have the exact figures from my University handbook.

Class 1 - 68.5% or above
Class II, Div 1 59% - 68.4%
Class II, Div II 49.5% - 59%
Class III 40 - 49.5%

But its easy to get 40%, if you want 60% you have to twice as much work, if you want 80% you have to twice as much work again.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cretin)
Whats the point in university then?
a piece of paper and a 50% target.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Most uni's it's fairly easy to get through the first year. but at the same time putting in the effort to get good grades in the first year (even though they don't count towards your degree classification in most cases) is well worth it because it means the second year (commonly referred to as living hell) doesn't come as so much of a shock, going from 30mph-60mph is easier than 1-60. Not only are you still used to putting in the effort but you've got the basic knowledge that means you can sit back a little and rely on your momentum to help you on your way further down the line.
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When I went to uni, they didn't let me fail either. Even when I did really really bad, they gave 40% and said that I should improve.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It does tend to vary between unis but as pencil queen says its pretty easy to pass first year and they tend to encourage you to pass seeing as first year doesnt really count they know that people dont put full effort in.
Second and third year I found a lot more work.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
a piece of paper and a 50% target.
but to get tha piece of paper requires a hell of a lot of work.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
but to get tha piece of paper requires a hell of a lot of work.
not really, 3 years of 40% success.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes but a lot of people arent aiming for the bare minimum.

To get a first or 2:1, does require a load of hard work.

thats why a degree is so valuable - especially if its a hard degree.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
for a pass, i agree.

but when jobs r so competitive.....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (233)
61.48%
Yes- I don't like it (17)
4.49%
No- I want it (104)
27.44%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.6%

Watched Threads