Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am really aiming for 1st class degree now if its possible, if not I will happy with a 2:1. I will be really disapointed with a anything less though. I need to stand out from the crowd. I do believe I can do it but I will probably know better when I get this semesters results back. I have worked hard this year but you still always have a nagging feeling you may fail.

ReputationRep:
    Its amazingly easy to pass your first year here! You only need 35% on average from all modules to pass the year. However cos i want to do the year abroad on the masters program i need 50% average - on one module that i finished last term we had a multiple choice exam and 3 pieces of coursework, and i passed with 71.2% without much effort. I didn't do so well in physics though, but i scraped my 50% in it.

On the two main modules, that run all year (organic and inorganic chemistry) i have just done the exams in last week - organic was an hour and a half exam and the organiser walked in and said "don't look so worried its only one word answer type questions"!!! It took 20 mins! And then my inorganic exam took 20 mins and was entirely multiple choice! However these tests are only worth a small fraction of my final mark for that module, as coursework and end of year exams are worth more. But i have concluded that you either have to be very stupid, or just not turn up or hand any work in to manage to fail the first year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Its amazingly easy to pass your first year here! You only need 35% on average from all modules to pass the year. However cos i want to do the year abroad on the masters program i need 50% average - on one module that i finished last term we had a multiple choice exam and 3 pieces of coursework, and i passed with 71.2% without much effort. I didn't do so well in physics though, but i scraped my 50% in it.

On the two main modules, that run all year (organic and inorganic chemistry) i have just done the exams in last week - organic was an hour and a half exam and the organiser walked in and said "don't look so worried its only one word answer type questions"!!! It took 20 mins! And then my inorganic exam took 20 mins and was entirely multiple choice! However these tests are only worth a small fraction of my final mark for that module, as coursework and end of year exams are worth more. But i have concluded that you either have to be very stupid, or just not turn up or hand any work in to manage to fail the first year!
    This dosn't do students many favours though because in the second year if they only got there by getting 35% they will find it very hard and drop out. Are you at East Anglia by the way? I personaly think it should be made a bit harder to get into the second year.

i just had an exam where i need 32% to pass *joy*

the fact that i might struggle to get that is a tad worrying....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    a piece of paper and a 50% target.
    *chuckles* thats pretty much it really.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my friends got just 40%, the pass rate, in third year. We suspect their results were boosted a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Most uni's it's fairly easy to get through the first year. but at the same time putting in the effort to get good grades in the first year (even though they don't count towards your degree classification in most cases) is well worth it because it means the second year (commonly referred to as living hell) doesn't come as so much of a shock, going from 30mph-60mph is easier than 1-60. Not only are you still used to putting in the effort but you've got the basic knowledge that means you can sit back a little and rely on your momentum to help you on your way further down the line.

I thought it was the third year that was supposed to be the really hard living hell time.

Also, if the first year grades don't count towards your degree classification then what is the point in doing any exams etc in year 1? In fact what is the point of the first year. Why not just have a two year degree instead (staring from the equivalent of year 2)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    a piece of paper and a 50% target.
    Your profile says you are a post-grad, so why then, did you bother doing a degree if you think it is worthless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    On my course last year (I think some of the percentages change this year but is otherwise the same) they arrange the year group so that 25% get firsts, 30% below that get 2:1s, 35% below that get 2:2s and the bottom 10% is thirds. If your mark once scaled to the percentage system is less than 0 you fail.
    I've only heard of one person failing, I know of a few thirds though.

Alaric.
    dont you go to cambridge? What ya doin?

Its weird i cant really imagine people at Cambridge or getting thirds...i mean you do all that work to get in and then you screw it up! I see no point of going there in the first place if youre going to poo it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cretin)
    I thought it was the third year that was supposed to be the really hard living hell time.

Also, if the first year grades don't count towards your degree classification then what is the point in doing any exams etc in year 1? In fact what is the point of the first year. Why not just have a two year degree instead (staring from the equivalent of year 2)?
    The first year is designed to bridge the gap between A levels and degree. Since people are from different backgrounds unis need to ensure everybody is at a similar standard for the second and third year. You need to pass 10/12 modules otherwise you cannot get into the second year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm dreding some of the chemistry calculations we have in our chem exam. But at least I know that I've got a pretty decent average for my c/w which will help me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    yes but a lot of people arent aiming for the bare minimum.

To get a first or 2:1, does require a load of hard work.
    I dont work hard and I've always had at least a 10% cushion for a first at uni. You have to work hard if you shouldn't really be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    The first year is designed to bridge the gap between A levels and degree. Since people are from different backgrounds unis need to ensure everybody is at a similar standard for the second and third year. You need to pass 10/12 modules otherwise you cannot get into the second year.
    Oh right I see.

ReputationRep:
    we have to get 40% over all for each of the 8 modules,

with course work counting for 25 % and exam 75%

except in computing which is 50/50.

in cases where 40% in not achived, the ratio of course work to exam is altered.

so unless you do no coursework....you can pass

on a similar note....have you noticed how they merged the websites this morning...grrrrrr. it took me ages to get to the page i wanted.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    40% all round here...

Out of the 100% you have in a module, 90% is from the exam, and 10% is assessed. So you could actually get 30/90 in the exam and pass that module. Also, you can pass 10 out of the 12 modules in the year and be let through into the next year on the discretion of the lecturers.

On vienna95s note, this 50% target nonsense is rubbish. Why send more people into universiy? It is devaluing university degress. Instead of sending so many people to university doing useless degress, why not put them on apprenticeships?

This is the exact reason why we are going to have to pay more for tuititon fees. So joe bloggs in hallam can do Potato studies.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    ok i feel really hard done by now. I'm working really hardbut i've failed one of my tests :0( Also for languages at bristol i think it is near impossible to get a first. All of my freinds are just hoping for a 2:1 Max. Most of our stuff is marked out of 75 or 80 and you have to get 70 for a first, 60 2:1 etc. However, for all the other arts subjects its marked out of 100. Also for us the pass marks 50% not 40%. So whereas an englsih student would need 70/100 for a first we would need 70/75 ot 70/80
    Its not fair!

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend in my Conservative future meetings who is doing a PHD and apparently for History at Manchester it is near impossible to fail an exam because of the LEA beauracracy and target; if they do fail someone apprently they have to go to a board meeting and the Higher people ask them what steps did you take to prevent him from failing thier exams? Its absolute madness if you ask me; its turning University into a school treating people with kid gloves wont make them ready for work; thats why a First Class Degree is so much more important now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    dont you go to cambridge? What ya doin?

Its weird i cant really imagine people at Cambridge or getting thirds...i mean you do all that work to get in and then you screw it up! I see no point of going there in the first place if youre going to poo it.
    I'm a computer scientist. Don't snigger

Generalising a bit (ok a lot) about the extremities: Those who are ridiculously clever put in a moderate amount of work and get a first, or put no work in and get a third; those who worked very hard to get there work very hard and get a 2:1, if they only work hard they get a third.
    Those who get thirds still could be better than nearly everyone in the country, but if the rest of the year is better than you you're screwed.
    People with straight As at A-level who don't stop working and get thirds aren't as unusual as you might think.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    I'm told that if you don't work too much in your first year, you have little chance of getting a first! is this true?

And do unis do end-of-year exams for first year (maths in particular)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    I'm told that if you don't work too much in your first year, you have little chance of getting a first! is this true?

And do unis do end-of-year exams for first year (maths in particular)?
    My end of year exams in my first year were actually some of the hardest exams of my life. On my course there is less exams in the second year but much more course work if you want to do well. The course work is pretty much open the more you do the higher mark you will get. A lot of the weaker students will fall down this year though because some of the modules are more academic than last year. This will come as a shock to some. As I say though that is just my course.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.