Uni Exams - they wont let people fail! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
I'm told that if you don't work too much in your first year, you have little chance of getting a first! is this true?

And do unis do end-of-year exams for first year (maths in particular)?
In cam you tend to have end of part exams because of the tripos system, that does usually mean end of every year though in practice.

In my case the first and second year exams count towards the Part I mark, which is what you'd tell potential emplyers etc at milkrounds in the third year then the actually degree classification (that actually means little at cambridge apparently - I'm not sure if it even is on your degree slip thing) is your Part II mark. Obviously it's Part III mark for courses with more parts which are sometimes optional ones such as for maths.
So in other words I could still get a first overall, but it may not look like I'm on course to at the end of this year...

Alaric.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
This dosn't do students many favours though because in the second year if they only got there by getting 35% they will find it very hard and drop out. Are you at East Anglia by the way? I personaly think it should be made a bit harder to get into the second year.
Yup i'm at East Anglia. i think the 35% pass mark is designed to get rid of all the students who don't turn up or don't hand coursework in at all. Uni's know that first years don't want to do much work (as it doesn't count towards their degree), and that in the second year marks will improve because these marks count, and all those that make 35% will be capable of a third (at least) and therefore passing their degree. Those that are reluctant to work and are purely dossing will not get the 35% (due to it not being possible to make this mark on the final first year exams, to get it you must have done some coursework) and therefore can be made to repeat or get kicked off the course, as these are the people that would not get good grade degrees and therefore would make the uni statistics look bad.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
And do unis do end-of-year exams for first year (maths in particular)?

we do end of semester exams.
so thats next week and then again in the summer.

love katy ***
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i had january exams and i've got exam at the end of the year. Also i have continuous assesment for Spanish during the year so each teaching block i have a grammar exam, 2 listening exams and 2-3 oral exams. The one good thing is though that i'm not nerotic about exams any more. Last year with my a-levels i was so panicked before eachone but now i've done so many i've sort of got used to htem. (Either that or i'm now apatetic towards them)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads