Turn on thread page Beta

I am doing a/s Psychology, I really need to see a sample of a courswork on research with procedues design abstract basically the lay out of it, but every website I seem to visit is asking for money!

ReputationRep:
    I cant help you with a sample but here is the basic structure you need to use.

An abstract - basic details of your experiment such as the hypothesis, participants and results (no more than 150 - 250 words).

An introduction - studies related to your experiment, ones that you have either replicated or changed. Last paragraph of this can state your hypothesis (3 or 4 studies should suffice).

A method section - design (repeated measure/independent measure), participants (age, gender, nationality, opportunity sample etc), materials/apparatus and procedure. (You can place the materials you used in the appendix at the end along withthings such as standardised questions). You can separate the catergories (design, participants etc) into sub-sections.

A results section - do not say what your results show just state the results, this is not a discussion section. You can say that "participants took longer to do this task rather than that task" but avoid saying why this occured. Include graphs here and tables of processed data but do not put any raw data in this section (if you want to include raw data, put it in the appendix). You need to include any results of significance tests in this section as well.

A Discussion - here is where most of the marks will be rewarded and is seen as the most important section. You need to refer to your hypothesis and say whether it was supported or not and explain why. You also need to refer back to your results and explain them. Answer these questions:
    - do the results support the hypothesis?
    - how do they specifically support the hypothesis?
    - consider alternatives/shortcomings of your study
    - how does the data extend/replicate/fail to support/lead to the modification of existing theory?
    - future research
    - a short summary at the end
    (This will be the largest part of the essay).

References - you need to cite and reference any studies in your appendix as well as any books you used to answer your discussion.

Appendix - materials used, standardised instructions and raw data. Remember to put in brackets "see appendix" need to any items in the main body of the text which have been placed in here.

Helen Brownsell

Thanks ever so much Helen, can you tell me how many words Discussion should be? you mentioned largest part that has put me off abit :-/

ReputationRep:
    I would say about 1000 words for a 2500 word essay. Thats only approximate though. It could be different. Its just the bit were you draw all your conclusions but also the limitations of your work so it takes the most explaining. Youll get the most marks for this section as well, I would think.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if u still need it, i can post you a sample copy. Its about a year old, and isnt mine, but it is a good quality peace.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.