The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

What is the likelihood of a UCL offer without a language GCSE?

Hi, I will be applying (hopefully) to medicine for 2012 entry, I'm doing my AS levels this year. I have always thought of UCL as a place I would like to apply to and study at, but I have reviewed the requirements, and for 2012 entry and onwards, a language GCSE is required. It also says that this should not deter anyone from applying and that anyone without a language GCSE can take a language course during their degree.

It would seem that the prospectus also says some preference is given to those with a contrasting subject. I do not have a language GCSE, or a contrasting subject, but I am still determined to apply. Thus, I was wondering, what is the likelihood of an offer from UCL? Given what I don't have, would I have to have a great interview or a really good BMAT score? I am aiming for 4 A's at AS at 3 A*'s at A2/overall.

So, all in all, is an offer very likely or not?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
I don't know about the whole Language GCSE thing but you definitely don't need a contrasting subject. It'd only be a slight advantage but alot of people take something like English and get a B which does more harm than good to your application.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
You've got really good GCSEs so i doubt you'd be disregarded especially if they say its not vital. Its impossible to say whether you'd get an offer or not though because there's so many factors they'd take into account
Reply 3
All we can tell you is that you're less likely to get an offer than an applicant who meets both those criteria. Everyone applying for medicine at UCL will be aiming for the same grades you are, so it just depends how much they like the rest of your application/ like you at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending