This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
It starts out ok, he makes a few legitimate points, but I think it degenerates into a rant which undermines a couple of serious issues (eg I don't think they should ask about police officers' sexual orientation any more than they should their shoe size.) But it is the Telegraph, so I suppose I'm not it's target audience.
Don't police have standard issue shoes or something?
So surely they should ask them for their shoe size?!?!?!
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Both the Telegraph and The Times are right wing and i dont tend to read either because i prefer keep a straight face in the mornings. However I am convinced that gay people are crying and whinging about everything nowadays = stay in the closet or go to the gay bar - dont bring me down with ur sexual politics!!!!!!!!!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Makes for a good read, but it really is getting pathetic these days. Why can't a female be referred to as one of the lads? If she does not wish to shave or what have you, then that is her decision, but no cause for a lack of free speech right?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Makes for a good read, but it really is getting pathetic these days. Why can't a female be referred to as one of the lads? If she does not wish to shave or what have you, then that is her decision, but no cause for a lack of free speech right?
good point - its political correctness gone mad under a dizzy Labour govt. - spinning the truth is nauseating and soon we'll have a lib dem govt. in power = maybe nxt week
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Don't police have standard issue shoes or something?
So surely they should ask them for their shoe size?!?!?!

Think they wait until after they get the job to find that out though
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Think they wait until after they get the job to find that out though
Oh right, okay. I wasn't sure.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Oh right, okay. I wasn't sure.
Never can be too sure. On the other hand, is there any chance of a reversal of all this rubbish? The P.C. rubbish I mean.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Never can be too sure. On the other hand, is there any chance of a reversal of all this rubbish? The P.C. rubbish I mean.
Maybe we should start a counter movement of political incorrectness to balance it out!!!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whilst I accept that mild amounts of political correctness are required to prevent minority bashing - PC in this form is utterly over the top.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Whilst I accept that mild amounts of political correctness are required to prevent minority bashing - PC in this form is utterly over the top.
It certainly is, though Iluvatar may be onto something with the anti p.c. thing. Just crazy enough to work, even though thats a sad cliche.
Waya
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Really, I'm tired of it they keep changing the PC name for native americans, so what am I? AI, NA, NDN? Pick one and stick with it.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Waya)
Really, I'm tired of it they keep changing the PC name for native americans, so what am I? AI, NA, NDN? Pick one and stick with it.
What would that make me then. My grandfather was an aboriginal. Am I an Abbo? Coon? Black ****? Half-Cast? ******? White Top? Burnt Toast? I wish they would just refer to people by their country, thus making me Australian.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I can't stand a lot of the stuff they write in the Telegraph but I pretty much agree with everything in that article. I hate 'political correctness' more than anything else.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
I can't stand a lot of the stuff they write in the Telegraph but I pretty much agree with everything in that article. I hate 'political correctness' more than anything else.
It is just getting to be so stupid. Why is it 'politically' correct? It isn't really correct at all is it?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
It starts out ok, he makes a few legitimate points, but I think it degenerates into a rant which undermines a couple of serious issues (eg I don't think they should ask about police officers' sexual orientation any more than they should their shoe size.) But it is the Telegraph, so I suppose I'm not it's target audience.
undermines which issues?
its not in the Telegraph.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Both the Telegraph and The Times are right
Neither are intensely right-wing. the Telegraph is centre-right and The Times is centre-left if anything.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
It is just getting to be so stupid. Why is it 'politically' correct? It isn't really correct at all is it?
Precisely!

(Original post by vienna95)
Neither are intensely right-wing. the Telegraph is centre-right and The Times is centre-left if anything.
Maybe compared to you . I think most people would say that The Guardian is left, The Independant centre-left, the Times centre-right and The Telegraph right.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
Vienna, your political scale never fails to baffle me.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Police have never been allowed to use funny phrases. I think you can report an officer if they fail to call you sir or madam.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
Precisely!

Maybe compared to you . I think most people would say that The Guardian is left, The Independant centre-left, the Times centre-right and The Telegraph right.
The Telegraph's new owners, the Barclay brothers, are friends of the Labour Party, and when they bought Scotlands most venerable paper, 'The Scotsman', they supported Blair in the 2001 election.

This could spell the end of the right-wing Telegraph.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed