who can agree with this?!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Vienna, your political scale never fails to baffle me.
im talking about current climates. something like the Spectator(mildly) or americas National Review(clearly) are right-wing. the Telegraph is centre-right at best, although will start to turn with the Tories as election time nears. The Times is centrist, but more likely to include leftist pieces than anything smacking of right-wing.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
im talking about current climates. something like the Spectator(mildly) or americas National Review(clearly) are right-wing. the Telegraph is centre-right at best, although will start to turn with the Tories as election time nears. The Times is centrist, but more likely to include leftist pieces than anything smacking of right-wing.
I find the Times sticks with right-wing views on everything I'm concerned about.
Vienna
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harry Potter)
Precisely!

Maybe compared to you . I think most people would say that The Guardian is left, The Independant centre-left, the Times centre-right and The Telegraph right.
and this is etched in stone thanks to word of mouth that is loosely understood at best? most papers tend to move slightly with the political climate. if by right-wing, anything stronger than the telegraph is considered extreme, then people should broaden their political horizons.
Vienna
Rep:
?
I find the Times sticks with right-wing views on everything I'm concerned about.
then that is ur interpretation of it, in relation to ur views. this does not make it a right-wing paper and by that measure neither a left-wing one at that.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
then that is ur interpretation of it, in relation to ur views. this does not make it a right-wing paper and by that measure neither a left-wing one at that.
What makes it anything, if views are irrelevant?
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So if you have a gay old time how do you differentiate between somebody who's been on a nice day out to somebody who has had sexual encounters with an older person of the same sex?
Vienna
Rep:
?
What makes it anything, if views are irrelevant?
i was talking about minor fluctuations between right and left leaning papers such as the times. the telegraph is right-wing when the Tories are doing well and then centre when they are floundering.(no one can possibly say that the telegraph was rightwing during the autumn of IDS' reign). on the scale of three of 4 broadsheets their maybe clarity in their political bias but on the wider scale of things, theres very little to choose(if you read Extreme Right Monthly, the telegraph would look rather pale). the choice of sources, the stories run, and the language used all determine the political direction of a paper. in this respect, the BBC is as left wing as the guardian.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
in this respect, the BBC is as left wing as the guardian.
I agree with you there.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
******* is a scientifically correct phrase do you use that?
There was a society known as the "*******s' society" But changed its name due to political pressure to The c. palsy society.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Neither are intensely right-wing. the Telegraph is centre-right and The Times is centre-left if anything.
The Times is not a centre-left paper.
Vienna
Rep:
?
(Original post by kildare)
The Times is not a centre-left paper.
its not rightwing. and bearing in mind the material i read, the number of wishy washy articles in there put it firmly in the centre camp.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
There was a society known as the "*******s' society" But changed its name due to political pressure to The c. palsy society.
Yes, and there was one a hilarious character called "Joey Deacon" that featured on Blue Peter.

Well, hilarious then......but probably not now as it's borderline criminal to make jokes about "people less fortunate than ourselves"
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
******* is a scientifically correct phrase do you use that?
If it is medically true, why not??
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Yes, and there was one a hilarious character called "Joey Deacon" that featured on Blue Peter.

Well, hilarious then......but probably not now as it's borderline criminal to make jokes about "people less fortunate than ourselves"
I think you need to learn some respect.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
its not rightwing. and bearing in mind the material i read, the number of wishy washy articles in there put it firmly in the centre camp.
They often have opinion pieces of a more left-wing nature but I think the editorial policy of the paper certainly leans more to the right than anywhere else.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think you need to learn some respect.
if it wasnt for our man ali, where would our society be today.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
undermines which issues?
its not in the Telegraph.

I mentioned one of the issues. Actually maybe it was the only one.

The Guardian is currently trying to drum up an action against the Editor of The Sun for advising Sarah Payne’s killer Roy Whiting to take a leaf out of the Dr Shipman song book and top himself in prison.
Surely you see that this is irresponsible journalism? And just wrong.

Richard Littlejohn sacrifices facts for ranting and raving, in an attempt to appeal to people who feel hard done by in society and are looking for anyone to blame.
Vienna
Rep:
?
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I mentioned one of the issues. Actually maybe it was the only one.
ok.

Surely you see that this is irresponsible journalism? And just wrong.

Richard Littlejohn sacrifices facts for ranting and raving, in an attempt to appeal to people who feel hard done by in society and are looking for anyone to blame.
facts? what facts? ranting and raving? he just highlights a succession of cases where common sense has blown out of the window. i dont doubt that its irresponsible and rather silly to suggest someone kill themselves. but he is highlighting the fact that the Guardian takes the Sun and its readers, who would actually support such a move, so seriously as to go beyond merely questioning its viability as a paper. this is the sign of the times that he highlights in his piece.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Actually it changed it's name to Scope and it's still run by disablist scumbags. The pressure for the name change came from it's members and organisers, the majority of whom are able bodied...and to be quite frank f***wits.

But ******* is still a recognised medical term to describe a symptom.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Howard)

I realise this is difficult to remember (and the american government try to do everything in it's power to undermine it) but disabled people like to be known as disabled people (or people with disabilities).

There are a lot of people less fortunate than me (through having a bad attitude, less money, less education or even just through not finding themselves in such happy circumstances)...but I would never address them in "quotes" or talk about them as if you weren't present in a discussion and I would hope that they will grant me the same curtesy and good manners - something you seem to be lacking.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1199)
79.56%
Leave (308)
20.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed