The Student Room Group

Is Further Maths A Level Essential for Maths at University?

As the title says do you need an A level in Further Maths to do Maths at university? Because I read that it is required by both UCL and Imperial...
Reply 1
Some universities require it, (the 2 you mentioned are the only ones I know of), and a lot like you to have it, but most will give you an offer with just Maths A Level, although they prefer Further Maths as well.
Warwick also require it.

As for whether or not it's necessary, I'd say no. You make life slightly harder by not doing it, but not much more. University maths is so different from a-levels.
Reply 3
Most Uni's don't require it but many are prepared to give lower offers for those students doing both maths and further maths. For example AAB (2 maths A Levels) instead of AAA (just one maths A Level).

EDIT: Durham also require further maths. However that university has entry requirements that no way resmeble the quality of education offered by the Uni, but that's not relevant here so...
(edited 13 years ago)
Only UCL and Imperial and maybe 1 or 2 others require the full FM A-level (Cambridge requires it to AS) but you'd be a complete idiot not to take it. Even if it isn't offered at your school, it's not too difficult to teach yourself, especially with the FM support programme around.

Unis just can't really discern much from a single Maths A-level, considering a whopping 40% get an A in it (the consequences of butchering the Maths A-level to "widen access"). And if you like Maths enough to do it at uni, you should want to do Further Maths.
(edited 13 years ago)
If you are in your AS, then look at self teaching AS FM next year whilst doing A2 Maths. Thats what I'm doing. And if I have time before uni I could always look at FP2 but probably not the applied modules since everyone does different ones.
Original post by innerhollow
Only UCL and Imperial and maybe 1 or 2 others require the full FM A-level (Cambridge requires it to AS) but you'd be a complete idiot not to take it. Even if it isn't offered at your school, it's not too difficult to teach yourself, especially with the FM support programme around.

Unis just can't really discern much from a single Maths A-level, considering a whopping 40% get an A in it (the consequences of butchering the Maths A-level to "widen access"). And if you like Maths enough to do it at uni, you should want to do Further Maths.

Are you sure about Cambridge requiring it to AS? Also, what is the FM support programme?
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
Are you sure about Cambridge requiring it to AS? Also, what is the FM support programme?

I'm absolutely positive, all the colleges require at least Further Maths AS, and St. Johns and Trinity Hall require the full Further Maths A-level. Here's my source:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/maths/requirements.html

Also keep in mind that STEP III (part of Cambridge Maths offer) is based on the Further Maths AS syllabus.

As for the Further Maths Support Programme, click here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Further+Maths+Support+Programme
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by innerhollow
I'm absolutely positive, all the colleges require at least Further Maths AS, and St. Johns and Trinity Hall require the full Further Maths A-level. Here's my source:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/maths/requirements.html

Also keep in mind that STEP III (part of Cambridge Maths offer) is based on the Further Maths AS syllabus.

As for the Further Maths Support Programme, click here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Further+Maths+Support+Programme

Thanks for that. Is there any advantages to being in a particular college? And I thought STEP exams are only taken if you do not have Further Maths A Level?
Reply 9
Thanks for that. Is there any advantages to being in a particular college? And I thought STEP exams are only taken if you do not have Further Maths A Level?

Nah, there's an offer or two like that but it's not a 'one or the other' deal normally. When are you applying? Next year? If so start further maths after the Jan exams. It's easily possible to do the whole A level in that time.

The university's policy is that college choice doesn't matter, so I'd go with that. The bulk of the teaching is done via the centralised departments (but IIRC you have your supervisions with your college tutor) and you'll still sit the exact same classes and exams so I don't think it's anything to worry about. Just choose a college, nearly everyone ends up liking whatever college they go to.

Just to say, I haven't seen a single person on here applying for Cambridge Maths on here who doesn't have the full Further Maths A-level. STEP is required by everyone of course, it's a LOT, LOT harder than Further Maths.

If you have any further questions, please look at the website first, you'll get more reliable answers faster.
Reply 11
Original post by 1platinum
As the title says do you need an A level in Further Maths to do Maths at university? Because I read that it is required by both UCL and Imperial...

I don't see why you wouldn't take it, if you really enjoyed maths, you would want to challenge yourself further, by taking FM without any hesitation.

Quick Reply

Latest