Attention
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello All.

I would like your opinion. I am already 35 (male) years old (look much yonger), and I am 1st year student at university now. I am studding Finance and Accounting. Do you think it is too late? Will I be able to find good job and make career or should I not relay on it?
Sometimes I think it is too late....
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well we would need to know more than just your age to know if you will be able to find a good job and make a career. There are a lot of other factors - what degree classification will you get? Do you have some good experience before going to university that will mean you can give good answers to competency questions?

The age factor gives you a slight disadvantage in that I would expect most employers are looking to hire people aged 21-24 for their graduate recruitment, but they do take older graduates....you would have to make sure that you used the extra age and life experience to your advantage by coming over as a person who is confident, responsible and has a lot of life skills, which could give you an advantage over a 21 year old.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well done, It's NEVER too late! All the best
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well of course it's not too late - you will be a slightly different proposition for employers than your fellow graduates who started at 18, You could have a word with the employment service at the uni to see what you can do about improving your employability cos it's going to be a tough job market for everyone.

Don't talk yourself out of working hard and getting a high classification.
the greatest
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In quick response, NO! yes we know that the age can seem a bit daunting at site, but its never too late to study at uni ( within reason ) but for your situation its fine! Getting a job will not just be of age factor, but since its to a slight disadvantage in some ways, the degree, uni and what you do personally at uni can seriously aid you getting a job and a good one at the end! Experience is important, and at your age you have certain abilities which can boost about your mature age for example which is useful!

but still, no need to worry, I know someone who graduated at age 41 from economics and now working in the corporate finance sector in the UK for PWC! he boosted his application big time, though... but a good job a the end is certainly not unachievable!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As said above, it's definitely not. The year I joined my department had an age range of new joiners from 21 to 28, I know people that have joined later and there's nothing wrong with a bit of diversity. The only reason it's a problem is if you make it a problem. As long as you're happy to work with younger people I see no issue.
fudgerella
Report 9 years ago
hi, hope not mate!, im 32 and just doing a foundation year, will be starting a Ba hons in accounting and finance in sept 2011. hoping to get a good job after, or i will feel its all been a waste of time! will be about 36 when i have finished it.
Benji84
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can study whenever you like, there is no age limit. No one cares about your age at university.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No

But might be better to get a job and do AAT/ACCA etc. alongside it than a degree tbh
ollienbert
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Attention)
Hello All.

I would like your opinion. I am already 35 (male) years old (look much yonger), and I am 1st year student at university now. I am studding Finance and Accounting. Do you think it is too late? Will I be able to find good job and make career or should I not relay on it?
Sometimes I think it is too late....
I am 51 and have just done a Masters. It wasn't too late for me. Education is not just about getting a job - but obviously it is important at the age of 35 that you do have a good career ahead of you. You have plenty of years to go. Study hard and enjoy yourself. You may not be spending your Friday nights doing what the rest of your coursemates do, but you may well find you get better results because of it.
loveina
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it is never too late to study about anything.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^ What they've said
Gohalath
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it's not an impediment but just bear in mind that you will be delegated some fairly crap work for the first couple of years by managers who might well be 10 years junior. If that's not a problem for you, then it's unlikely to be a problem for anyone else.
Gohalath
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just to add a little to this, I'm a year or two older than most managers my grade - having spent a couple of years travelling and funding that with odd jobs here and there.

I actually think that having taken a different road might give you a bit of perspective and a little more commercial awareness. As you progress through the grades this will become more apparent as you move towards a more client-facing role and your colleagues will in time see this as a resource and the fact you took a different road will become irrelevant.

You will naturally be expected to be more mature, confident and your professional attitude will be subject to a higher level of expectation - in your immediate future, your senior colleagues will give you a lot less flex than a bright spark who might be entering the workplace for the first time.
Attention
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thank you, it is interesting to read your opinions
I like studing, and I like to be with people younger then me.
Wesker115
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Life long learning is the way forward my friend, go for it and make the best of the short time we have on this planet.
ViewlessWings
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hell no it's never too late. you're the only person who can put limitations on yourself. it might be difficult if you've been out of the game for a while (it's been quite difficult for me; i am doing a masters but had been out of school for almost 2 years) but you can do it. Work hard and you're the only one who can determine whether it will pay off or not. Congrats on your educational endeavour!
Crazy Paving
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Never too late! You stand just as much a chance of getting a job and career as anyone else.
Ernst & Young
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi there,
If your course offers the opportunity to take an industrial placement then you may want to consider pursuing this to add experience to your CV? Ernst & Young offer IPs to students looking for placements. Find out more on our wesbite: www.ey.com/uk/fasttracks
Chiranjib Saha
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Can I do BA cource in the age of 35
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (231)
67.15%
No (113)
32.85%

Watched Threads