Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The new Amazon kindle watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    From those who have one, are they any good?
    How much do the books cost to download i.e. what is the price differential of having the book delivered or downloading via a kindle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eat)
    I bought one about three weeks ago. I'm very impressed so far. Incredibly user friendly and the reading experience is nearly on par with a regular paperback. I'm reading so much more as well, the intimidation of a large book and the "I'd rather play xbox" feeling isn't there, I just sit down and read (that might only be me though).

From what I've seen on amazon, the kindle versions of more modern novels tend to be about 1/2 of the price. I got the complete works of shakespeare, nicely formatted and everything for 71p which is obviously a bargain compared to actually buying books. But that's only the one's that actually cost anything. There's tons of classics on amazon that are completely free, and all have to do is click on "buy" on the website and it sends them wirelessly to your kindle, really sweet.
    Sweet.
    I was hoping to get one to help with studying law, but apparently there isn't much discount for legal books...
    Still looks good!

ReputationRep:
    Many books are more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I have one and it is brilliant. I tend to get my books in a less than legal manner but the kindle store tends to be cheaper than the hard copy usually. Check it out

ReputationRep:
    I love my kindle <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eat)
    There are "other means" of acquiring ebooks which is probably one of the main advantage of ebook readers. Yes, I am aware of the irony of saying this to a law student. Just a heads up anyway.

...how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    ...how?
    He means download them illegally.

ReputationRep:
    ...how?
    As in how to acquire the books or how is it ironic? haha... Well it's rather similar to getting movies/music for free, I won't mention any specific websites but surely you know what torrenting is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomesauce)
    Many books are more expensive.
    Really? I've not seen any...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    As in how to acquire the books or how is it ironic? haha... Well it's rather similar to getting movies/music for free, I won't mention any specific websites but surely you know what torrenting is?
    Haha I understood the irony. I should have guessed...

(Original post by eat)
    I bought one about three weeks ago. I'm very impressed so far. Incredibly user friendly and the reading experience is nearly on par with a regular paperback. I'm reading so much more as well, the intimidation of a large book and the "I'd rather play xbox" feeling isn't there, I just sit down and read (that might only be me though).

From what I've seen on amazon, the kindle versions of more modern novels tend to be about 1/2 of the price (though I'm not sure about that). I got the complete works of shakespeare, nicely formatted and everything for 71p which is obviously a bargain compared to actually buying books. But that's only the ones that actually cost anything. There's tons of classics on amazon that are completely free, and all have to do is click on "buy" on the website and it sends them wirelessly to your kindle, really sweet.
    I haven't looked into this too much, but I'm also a Law student and my tutor suggested getting one (mainly for reading PDFs of cases) so I'm trying to find out more about them. I could be mistaken, but aren't there two available (Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi/3G)? Which one did you go for?

Also, what does the Kindle do? It might sound like a strange question, but I watched the Amazon video a couple of weeks back and it looks like all of the navigation is done with the buttons at the bottom. Is it like a large, stripped-down iPod (e.g. with a touch screen)? Or is it literally like an electronic book (i.e. no word processing functions/apps etc.)?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    I haven't looked into this too much, but I'm also a Law student and my tutor suggested getting one (mainly for reading PDFs of cases) so I'm trying to find out more about them. I could be mistaken, but aren't there two available (Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi/3G)? Which one did you go for?

Also, what does the Kindle do? It might sound like a strange question, but I watched the Amazon video a couple of weeks back and it looks like all of the navigation is done with the buttons at the bottom. Is it like a large, stripped-down iPod (e.g. with a touch screen)? Or is it literally like an electronic book (i.e. no word processing functions/apps etc.)?

Thanks.
    It is essentially just for reading. It has other, basic functions such as web browsing and mp3 player functionality, but that isn't a reason to buy one. The navigation is mainly done with buttons at the bottom, there are also two large thin buttons on the side (where your thumbs rest naturally) for turning pages, be it in the menu or in a book/pdf. It has no touch screen, and it can't play any sort of video. The screen uses e-ink technology which is fascinating in that it looks better as the light on the screen is increased, as opposed to an iPod screen, or a laptop or a mobile phone. Meaning you can read it in bright sunlight. Also, battery power is only used to change the page, not to maintain the current one. So the battery life is immense even with heavy reading. It can download books from the Kindle Store directly, meaning if you have the 3G version you can get new books and browse the web (in a rather basic sense) wherever you are in the world, as opposed the just in your own home/wi-fi hotspot. Also, the 3G model includes free 3G for life with no subscription which is impressive. I went for the wi-fi model with mine, it is so cheap for what you get, brilliant purchase

Also, if you choose to buy one I would recommend you download calibre for ebook management.

(Original post by tface)
    (Original post by eat)
    Thanks very much for your answers; they were a lot more detailed than I was expecting. I think my main hesitation is on the basis of the price - the device itself is not bad, but I had a quick search out of curiosity to see what textbooks are available. I can't find all of my course books, and the ones that are available are about the same price as the hard copies that I've had to buy already, so I'd pretty much be confined to reading PDFs, I think. Also, is it possible to search within documents for particular phrases? If not, that'd be a major disadvantage.

I imagine that your usage of the Kindle changes once you own one, but I can't see myself using it that much. I mean, as an example, I've been thinking of getting a new laptop for uni to replace my (decade-old) desktop. However, I've used my dad's for two months now and it's the size of a netbook (but a lot more powerful) and, as a major advantage, has a touch screen so I can scribble down diagrams in lectures or take quick notes without paper. It's been so useful and I haven't seen anything else like it, so I don't think I'll replace it. By the same token, I tend to read cases in hard copy anyway since it's easier on my eyes (and my scrolling finger!) so I could only really see myself using the Kindle for reading on holiday. Hmmm. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    Thanks very much for your answers; they were a lot more detailed than I was expecting. I think my main hesitation is on the basis of the price - the device itself is not bad, but I had a quick search out of curiosity to see what textbooks are available. I can't find all of my course books, and the ones that are available are about the same price as the hard copies that I've had to buy already, so I'd pretty much be confined to reading PDFs, I think. Also, is it possible to search within documents for particular phrases? If not, that'd be a major disadvantage.

I imagine that your usage of the Kindle changes once you own one, but I can't see myself using it that much. I mean, as an example, I've been thinking of getting a new laptop for uni to replace my (decade-old) desktop. However, I've used my dad's for two months now and it's the size of a netbook (but a lot more powerful) and, as a major advantage, has a touch screen so I can scribble down diagrams in lectures or take quick notes without paper. It's been so useful and I haven't seen anything else like it, so I don't think I'll replace it. By the same token, I tend to read cases in hard copy anyway since it's easier on my eyes (and my scrolling finger!) so I could only really see myself using the Kindle for reading on holiday. Hmmm. :moon:
    Yeah, I wouldn't advise buying a kindle purely for university. Sure it's great for reading pdfs, but like you say getting course books for it is very hit and miss. If you aren't going to be doing reading for pleasure very often then perhaps don't get it. However, it is something that will last, so if you are into casual reading of novels etc during the holidays, in two or three years time you might find that you really get a lot of use out of it and it becomes good value!

(Original post by tface)
    Yeah, I wouldn't advise buying a kindle purely for university. Sure it's great for reading pdfs, but like you say getting course books for it is very hit and miss. If you aren't going to be doing reading for pleasure very often then perhaps don't get it. However, it is something that will last, so if you are into casual reading of novels etc during the holidays, in two or three years time you might find that you really get a lot of use out of it and it becomes good value!
    Cool, I'll bear that in mind. Cheers. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    From those who have one, are they any good?
    How much do the books cost to download i.e.
    Yes.

what is the price differential of having the book delivered or downloading via a kindle?
    Why don't you just go on the kindle part of the Amazon site? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I looked into buying a Kindle, but was a little put off by the fact that it is not backlit - i.e. you can't read it in the dark without a light. I found out that there is actually a Kindle app on my iPad, so I downloaded that and it has all the features of the Kindle, but it's backlit as it's on my iPad
    The only problem is the distracting beckon of Doodlejump when i'm reading
    If the backlight thing doesn't bother you, then the programme is fantastic! Obviously I don't have the actual console, but the programme allows you to highlight, bookmark, and make notes on the page, which is fab for academic texts in particular! I've found it very useful, as I can just take the iPad (which is very light and slim) out with me, rather than a heavy, awkward stack of books!
    I personally love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broadwayrachael)
    I looked into buying a Kindle, but was a little put off by the fact that it is not backlit - i.e. you can't read it in the dark without a light. I found out that there is actually a Kindle app on my iPad, so I downloaded that and it has all the features of the Kindle, but it's backlit as it's on my iPad
    The only problem is the distracting beckon of Doodlejump when i'm reading
    If the backlight thing doesn't bother you, then the programme is fantastic! Obviously I don't have the actual console, but the programme allows you to highlight, bookmark, and make notes on the page, which is fab for academic texts in particular! I've found it very useful, as I can just take the iPad (which is very light and slim) out with me, rather than a heavy, awkward stack of books!
    I personally love it
    The non backlit screen is actually a benefit for most people - you can read for hours without any eye strain and the screen genuinely looks like a real page, much closer to reading a real book. Obviously if this isn't what you want and you already have an iPad then the kindle definitely isn't for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    The non backlit screen is actually a benefit for most people - you can read for hours without any eye strain and the screen genuinely looks like a real page, much closer to reading a real book. Obviously if this isn't what you want and you already have an iPad then the kindle definitely isn't for you
    Haha very true the iPad works just fine for me! I'm glad for the Kindle app though - it really is fantastic

ReputationRep:
    Is it good for scanned or multi-column PDFs? I'm thinking of buying the small Kindle 3 for uni (DX is too expensive).

I've tested a dozen different PDFs at my local electronics store on 6-inch Sony readers: They're legible when you zoom in, but unfortunately, you can't scroll while the zoom is activated; it automatically jumps to the same position on the next page.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.