Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there.

I am a swimmer who performs as national level sprinter, yet I have seem to hit a wall in terms of lifting and performance in the pool. I spend about 3-4 hours in the gym a week [3-4 sessions] and eat a diet designed to increase my sprinting performance.
    I have talked it through with my coach, saying there is no legal restrictions imposed by FINA about the use of Creatine/Glutamine/HMB.

I have read up a bit of them, especially Creatine. It seems that Creatine is supposed to increase what you can lift and therefore increase your gains [aswell as having the nice side effect of making your muscles look 'pumped' through water retention].

In short, what are the pros and cons of Creatine/Glutamine/HMB, which is best for what I need? [Short term and explosive strength] and can Creatine be used say, half an hour before a race to increase speed? I have a decent amount of muscle on me already, but I would like to put more on, get my shoulders broader for strokes like Breastroke.
    Are there any big health risks for me, a 16 [nearly 17] year old taking it?

ReputationRep:
    I use Hurricane Evo from MP which has that combination and it definitely has helped significantly. The other major improvement is recovery times i.e if I don't take it I feel considerably weaker/unrecovered the next day:

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/hurricane_evo

Another thing I would definitely recommend is Beta Alanine 8 week cycles.

The only caution I would give is take some advice about cycling it/becoming reliant on it for gains. Personally I'm extremely reliant on Evo and as I said if I stop taking it it's a really hard slog in the gym for a few weeks while my body restores to normal so I basically take it religiously (and have been for about a year with no problems, only gains).

edit: for instant gains, hands down the best creatine product for strength+size I've used is Gaspari SizeOn but I wouldn't start using that at 16/17.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.