The Student Room Group

Can my school tell my parents im seeing the school counsellor?

Ive been seeing the school counsellor since march, and when i started he said he wouldnt tell my parents unless i was in harm or may harm someone else. i was seeing him as ive been unhappy. recently i told him i didnt want to see him any more as i didnt find it useful! i hadnt told him anything different recently so there shouldnt be more concern now than before.
however last week my mum went into the school and apparently my head of year told my mum i was seeing the school counsellor.
I wasnt told that my mum had gone into school and been told about it, i found out when someone said something about it to me, presuming i knew!

i want to know if they were allowed to tell her and if i should have been told that they were going to tell her!

Them telling my parents have made things worse! i want to know what rights they had to tell her!

Thanks
Original post by xxlizardxx

Original post by xxlizardxx
Ive been seeing the school counsellor since march, and when i started he said he wouldnt tell my parents unless i was in harm or may harm someone else. i was seeing him as ive been unhappy. recently i told him i didnt want to see him any more as i didnt find it useful! i hadnt told him anything different recently so there shouldnt be more concern now than before.
however last week my mum went into the school and apparently my head of year told my mum i was seeing the school counsellor.
I wasnt told that my mum had gone into school and been told about it, i found out when someone said something about it to me, presuming i knew!

i want to know if they were allowed to tell her and if i should have been told that they were going to tell her!

Them telling my parents have made things worse! i want to know what rights they had to tell her!

Thanks

They absolutely shouldn't have mentioned it unless they had sufficient reason to believe that you might harm yourself or others. If they wanted to inform your parents then they need your consent. Definitely talk to your teacher/pastoral care person.

(By the by, this isn't really the right sub-forum for this topic, maybe try H&R next time :smile: )
Reply 2
Unless you wer in danger of harming yourself or others, they should have respected your confidentiality.
Reply 3
They had absolutely no right to tell her.
Reply 4
Im fairly sure its against quite alot of rules. What you say to the councellor is in confidence unless it is a risk to your health (IE your going to kill yourself) but even then your parents arent supposed to be the first people they tell... You should report this to someone
Reply 5
thanks,

i thought that they shouldnt have told her! i have been self-harming but the school counsellor knew that a long time ago! i dont think anything had changed to give them reason to tell!
they told my mum that i had been seeing him and that i had told him i was unhappy!

it wasnt the school counsellor who told my mum, it was my head of year, so who should i go talk to about whether they had the right? and can i do anything about it, like make a complaint or something?

(p.s. i didnt know which sub-forum to put it in as its kinda about if the school had a right to tell them!)
For some reason I keep imagining your head of year to be Mr Gilbert.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending