Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is not a discussion about whether the fee increases are fair or unfair. This is just a thread to help those who are affected by them should they go ahead, which they most likely will.

Okay, so many of us are now panicking about what it might mean for us if we have to pay £6,000 per year tuition fees on top of whatever it might cost for us to live. I thought I'd put together a thread with a few ideas about how to spend/save money to help people!

I would love to hear your ideas, so please post them below, and I will be happy to add any of your ideas to the thread (with your name next to them so that you would get the credit, of course)!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to terms with the idea of debt

*No matter how much your parents earn, it's likely that you're going to have to take out some kind of student loan. The tips in this thread are to help you to reduce the amount of loans that you will need to take out, rather than completely cancelling out the need to be in debt at all.

Get a Job

*Okay, so we all know that it isn't all that simple right now, but the best you can do is try. Make sure your CV is up to scratch, and start to hand them out. Use your local job centre to help you if you are struggling, and be prepared to accept seasonal work over Christmas and Easter (and other times when shops may decide to take on temporary staff members).

*Don't turn your nose up at paper rounds/dish washing at pubs. Although it might not seem like the most amazing job in the world, I saved up for my whole first year at uni with a paper round. If you do just 5 hours per week, you could save £120 per month- which would add up to a good amount of money if you started when you began sixth form or maybe even earlier.

*Use your summer holiday! We all know that after Y11, our summer holidays just seem to get longer and longer each year. Sometimes, you can get up to four months off, which is a fantastic opportunity to begin earning some extra cash. There are other things that you can do which are not formal jobs- for example gardening or cleaning for neighbours and family friends, babysitting, dog walking, car washing.. you have to remember that every little helps.

Approach your bank..

*If your bank does special student accounts, then it would be worth your while to approach them. Some banks allow an interest free overdraft of a couple of thousand pounds spread over the time that you are at university, so ask about this. Make sure that you ask about their repayment policy though, as different banks give you different amounts of time to get yourself financially stable when you graduate.

*If your bank has a cash ISA programme, you would be wise to sign up. Instant access is the best, as this means that you can always get hold of the money if you should need it. With this, you can put your savings into it (or even the loan, if you decide to get it eventually) and just grab a little extra interest from it. Currently, I have £2,000 in my cash ISA, and I make £4 per month from it. I know it sounds like a compeltely and utterly pathetic amount of money, but if you start saving for university a couple of years in advance, and manage to save more than I have got in mine, then you would be able to make a little extra. As I said at the beginning of the thread, every penny helps, and you should never turn your nose up at the chance of being able to make some extra cash.

Living Cheaply

*Just a small section about how to live cheaply once you get to university so that you can ensure that your cash stretches as far as possible..

*Plan your meals for the week. If you do this, then you are less likely to spend more money than you need to on food. Also try to buy the cheapest version of products rather than the top brands. These usually taste the same, it's only the label that is different.

*Buy text books second hand. There are many people who are selling old text books very cheaply- I have seen posts on here, and posters at my uni where people are offering to give them away for free to anybody who wants them. This would save you hundreds of pounds in the long term, as academic text books are incredibly expensive.

*Look into travel passes. If you are going to need to use a lot of public transport, you may wish to consider buying a travel pass when you are at university. You will have to work out how much money you would spend without the pass and consider whether it would be worth it- but I know that mine saves me around £600 per year (I have to take 2 busses and 2 trains every day, sometimes with an extra bus) so it was certainly worth it for me.

Get clued up about bursaries/scholarships

*My university offers a £2,000 per year scholarship to those students who gain more than a certain amount (I can't remember what it is now, whatever AAA equals) of UCAS points at A Level. I managed to get awarded this, and it helps considerably. Have a look at your university website and see if there are any awards that you might be eligable for- or that you could work a little harder for.

*Some LEAs offer small payments to those wishing to attend higher education. Mine gave me a payment of £200 when I got accepted into my university, which was pretty useful at the time (even if I did spend it all on clothes, oops!)

I will keep adding to this as and when I think of anything else, but please post your own ideas and I will add those too when I have the time! I will try to update it at least once a day

Your Advice!

I will add, in quotes so that you know, anything that you say which is good advice. It's much easier to put the actual advice on here rather than just leave it in the thread, as everyone will be able to see it on here.

(Original post by emeleh)
    This is a good idea

Also related to the scholarship point, when you send off your student finance application remember to tick the box to share your info with universities as you might be eligible for bursaries, which are often up to £2000 on top of everything else! Saying that though, not sure if this will be affected by all the changes etc or not?!

ReputationRep:
    This is a good idea

Also related to the scholarship point, when you send off your student finance application remember to tick the box to share your info with universities as you might be eligible for bursaries, which are often up to £2000 on top of everything else! Saying that though, not sure if this will be affected by all the changes etc or not?!

ReputationRep:
    This is a good idea

Make sure you read that question carefully as they keep changing it around. You used to have to tick to say you consent. Now I believe you tick if you don't consent, but that may change again next year so make sure you read it carefully.

ReputationRep:
    This is a good idea

Good point! I've added your advice, thanks

I thought this thread would be more popular than it is, but never mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Good point! I've added your advice, thanks

I thought this thread would be more popular than it is, but never mind!
    I think it would probably be more popular if the increase had already been put in, but it hasn't actually affecting anyone yet so we're just guessing really Still a good idea though

ReputationRep:
    I think it would probably be more popular if the increase had already been put in, but it hasn't actually affecting anyone yet so we're just guessing really Still a good idea though
    Yeah that's true I suppose. Well it'll still be here for whenever they want it

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this thread.. because I thought it was a really good idea and might actually help people :-) xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.