Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!! I really need some advice!! I want to do the access course next year and then apply to Cardiff to do occupational therapy (Cardiff is the nearest uni to me which offers this) Im a 34 year old single mum..my worries are; what if i dont get into Cardiff? If I do,will I manage with the 3hour round commute every day on top of other commitments (namely being a Mum)..can someone look into the future for me and tell me whether I should pursue this dream or not!!!

ReputationRep:
    I can't look into the future but Cardiff is good when it comes to accepting mature students so I think if you do well on the access course then you have a good chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marieK)
    Hello!! I really need some advice!! I want to do the access course next year and then apply to Cardiff to do occupational therapy (Cardiff is the nearest uni to me which offers this) Im a 34 year old single mum..my worries are; what if i dont get into Cardiff? If I do,will I manage with the 3hour round commute every day on top of other commitments (namely being a Mum)..can someone look into the future for me and tell me whether I should pursue this dream or not!!!
    Hi
    Email the admissions office at Cardiff and ask them what they would accept from a mature student (i.e. distinctions or whatever in your access course) and then you'll know! (Although it won't be definite until you get a real offer of course!)

Really hope you can fulfil your dream - I'm halfway to mine, am finally studying to be a vet, have 2 kids (7 and 4) and a part-time job that I can't give up because my little one's nursery is the company one.....can't wait for her to start school! Make sure you have a great back up network because the little ones always get sick when it's exam time (we have had chicken pox, a broken arm etc etc)

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you for your replies yes i will e-mail Cardiff then and see what they say...this is all new territory but i guess thats the case for everyone when they start Good luck with your 'becoming a vet dream' too..are you studying part time then? Yes that is something i thought about too,will def need back up as far as my youngest is concerned..have got lots of family nearby so should be ok :/
    ooooh how very exciting (haha i havnt even been accepted for the access course yet!)

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marieK)
    Thank-you for your replies yes i will e-mail Cardiff then and see what they say...this is all new territory but i guess thats the case for everyone when they start Good luck with your 'becoming a vet dream' too..are you studying part time then? Yes that is something i thought about too,will def need back up as far as my youngest is concerned..have got lots of family nearby so should be ok :/
    ooooh how very exciting (haha i havnt even been accepted for the access course yet!)

xx
    No I am studying full-time! When I say I have a part-time job, I actually only work 11hrs a week but even that is too much really.....to make up my hours I often stay in the office till 10pm on Fridays when my husband can pick up the kids.....I'm quite often at uni until 4pm nowadays so it's getting more and more complicated and I will be very glad when I can quit and concentrate on my studies!

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting an emergency when I opened this threat, with perhaps some added pictures to suit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.