Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hihi all!

Got two friends today who have been accepted for an interview to Oxford (congratz to them n_n).

But I am wondering exactly what is said in the letters.

Is it possible that someone could copy or scan in their interview letters from Oxford or Cambridge?

Thanks and congratulations to everyone who has got an interview!

ReputationRep:
    What a strange request :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)
    What a strange request :lolwut:
    Indeed. I lol'd

ReputationRep:
    ;D lol sorry.

I am just curious to see what the acceptance letter looks like.
    Coming from someone who hasn't got an offer back, I just want to see how a positive reply is worded ;p

Call it communal celebration of those more successful xD

ReputationRep:
    Haha weird but here's mine:
    Sender: Admissions
    Subject: Brasenose College

Dear Miss Y
    I am pleased to inform you that you are invited for an interview at Brasenose College rather than your original college.

The rest of the info was basically details about the interview.

ReputationRep:
    From Keble College, Oxford:

Dear Mr. <Surname>,

Further to your application to read Computer Science, I am pleased to say that I have been informed by the tutors that they would like you to visit Keble College for an interview this December.
    That is the first paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing what you can find on google.

ReputationRep:
    University College are really quite nice with their Interview invitation letters in the way that they don't force you to read through endless babbling about how high competition was etc. Instead, they just state:

"Dear Herr XYZ, I am pleased to write to let you know that the tutors in Philosophy, Politics and Economics have asked me to invite you to come to University College for an interview this coming December".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonM)
    University College are really quite nice with their Interview invitation letters in the way that they don't force you to read through endless babbling about how high competition was etc. Instead, they just state:

"Dear Herr XYZ, I am pleased to write to let you know that the tutors in Philosophy, Politics and Economics have asked me to invite you to come to University College for an interview this coming December".
    That's only with rejection letters.

Everyone's invitation letters are that format.

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Oxford interview: Economics and Management

Dear Candidate,
    You may remember that we contacted you a few weeks ago to confirm that your application to read Economics and Management at Christ Church, Oxford, was under consideration. I am now pleased to inform you that we would like you to come for interview on the dates scheduled for your subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    That's only with rejection letters.

Everyone's invitation letters are that format.
    Maybe with Oxford - don't know about that. I only had the experience with countless other applications for summer schools etc. - there they sometimes really make you read half a page of this nonsense and then they end the letter with the words "and that is why we are so delighted to be able to tell you that your application has been accepted and we would like to offer you a place at XYZ". I hate that - it builds up a very bad feeling of suspense :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonM)
    Maybe with Oxford - don't know about that. I only had the experience with countless other applications for summer schools etc. - there they sometimes really make you read half a page of this nonsense and then they end the letter with the words "and that is why we are so delighted to be able to tell you that your application has been accepted and we would like to offer you a place at XYZ". I hate that - it builds up a very bad feeling of suspense :-(
    Well, I've had 4 rejections in total, and all of them included the type of things you're saying.

My 3 acceptances said nothing like that at all, they all had "delighted" in the first sentence. I guess summer schools must love being cruel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Well, I've had 4 rejections in total, and all of them included the type of things you're saying.

My 3 acceptances said nothing like that at all, they all had "delighted" in the first sentence. I guess summer schools must love being cruel.
    Yeah, they do. Although it's not only summer schools, all the stuff for which you have to write an application: Things such as MUN-Conferences, debating competitions etc. But it could just be different in Germany, which is where I come from. Maybe Germans are generally more cruel... :-)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Erm, am I missing something here?:erm: I mean, those are quite clearly standard letters which are sent out in bulk each year. The exact phrasing may vary a little between colleges, but at the end of the day it's just endless variations of 'We've decided to offer you an interview, well done. This is what you need to do now'. Which is all very well, but I fail to see how anyone but the people the letters are actually addressed to might find them remotely interesting (and even they will probably be far more interested in the fact that they have an interview than in the way the letter was phrased). So what exactly is the point of this thread, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Erm, am I missing something here?:erm: I mean, those are quite clearly standard letters which are sent out in bulk each year. The exact phrasing may vary a little between colleges, but at the end of the day it's just endless variations of 'We've decided to offer you an interview, well done. This is what you need to do now'. Which is all very well, but I fail to see how anyone but the people the letters are actually addressed to might find them remotely interesting (and even they will probably be far more interested in the fact that they have an interview than in the way the letter was phrased). So what exactly is the point of this thread, then?
    Banter?

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it's a subtle type of boasting? To be able to quote the contents of an acceptance letter you have to have received one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josilaphina)
    Perhaps it's a subtle type of boasting? To be able to quote the contents of an acceptance letter you have to have received one!
    Or they're planning an elabrote and cruel prank on someone. I know some guys in my brother's year faked an Oxford acceptance letter, sent it to another guy and got him to phone the london zoo and ask for Dr. Lyons... very cruel, but funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    Or they're planning an elabrote and cruel prank on someone. I know some guys in my brother's year faked an Oxford acceptance letter, sent it to another guy and got him to phone the london zoo and ask for Dr. Lyons... very cruel, but funny.
    Poor guy, did he sit by track all day and wait for the update?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorenfors)
    Poor guy, did he sit by track all day and wait for the update?
    No idea, he was 6 years older than me I only found out about it a few years later. I'd imagine he worked out it was a prank after he got through to a zoo and had been told to ask for someone he'd never heard of called Lyons...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.