Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How good is this phone? Is it the best phone of its type in its price range?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    How good is this phone? Is it the best phone of its type in its price range?
    you getting it on payg or contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    you getting it on payg or contract?
    I'm looking for a good payg phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    I'm looking for a good payg phone.
    if you fancy the orange network - they do an android phone called the san Francisco which looks pretty good. Also check out the samsung galaxy apollo and europa and they tend to offer more features for your cash than their htc counterparts.

bear in mind that to use an android to full potential you
    ll need a data allowance so may be good to look at a network where this is cheapest

ReputationRep:
    The Orange San Francisco (£99) is the best budget phone around. You can unlock it free. It's so good it doesn't look out of place next to a Desire. 5 reasons why it is better than the Wildfire. The build quality is excellent overall. The Wildfire is good too but the Orange SF's screen is what steals it. It's a 3.5" AMOLED compared to a low res Wildfire screen that can't run all apps. The phone is zippy and has been extremely popular since it's release a month ago and the main reason behind the big price drop on the HTC Wildfire. Check out the raving online reviews. It's a no brainer imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    The Orange San Francisco (£99) is the best budget phone around. You can unlock it free. It's so good it doesn't look out of place next to a Desire. 5 reasons why it is better than the Wildfire. The build quality is excellent overall. The Wildfire is good too but the Orange SF's screen is what steals it. It's a 3.5" AMOLED compared to a low res Wildfire screen that can't run all apps. The phone is zippy and has been extremely popular since it's release a month ago and the main reason behind the big price drop on the HTC Wildfire. Check out the raving online reviews. It's a no brainer imo.
    What this man said. Plus I recommend installing a debranded ROM or a custom 2.2 FroYo ROM.

ReputationRep:
    wow so that explains the price drop. Phones 4 u were selling it at £260 like last week, now its £130 I was like :O

ReputationRep:
    The Orange San Francisco (£99) is the best budget phone around. You can unlock it free. It's so good it doesn't look out of place next to a Desire. 5 reasons why it is better than the Wildfire. The build quality is excellent overall. The Wildfire is good too but the Orange SF's screen is what steals it. It's a 3.5" AMOLED compared to a low res Wildfire screen that can't run all apps. The phone is zippy and has been extremely popular since it's release a month ago and the main reason behind the big price drop on the HTC Wildfire.
    Difficult choice - I would have thought the big price fall would have been down to the announcement of the HTC Gratia, which looks like a successor to the HTC Wildfire - and not down to the Orange San Francisco.

For light users, options include:

- a £100 Orange San Francisco + PAYG charges; or
    - HTC Wildfire on a cashback deal which could be as little as £3.89/month on a 18 month contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gt94sss2)
    Difficult choice - I would have thought the big price fall would have been down to the announcement of the HTC Gratia, which looks like a successor to the HTC Wildfire - and not down to the Orange San Francisco.

For light users, options include:

- a £100 Orange San Francisco + PAYG charges; or
    - HTC Wildfire on a cashback deal which could be as little as £3.89/month on a 18 month contract
    The Gratia is a small upgrade plus its been out a while as the aria. We'll probably see a proper successor to the wildfire later. Maybe it didn't drop solely because of the SF but its a factor. It was/is being undercut.

The camera on the SF is useless though.

ReputationRep:
    So does anyone here have the SF? Would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    I've got the Orange SF. I've posted some thoughts on the Android OS thread.

Unfortunately, new models of this phone now feature a TFT screen instead of AMOLED. That's such a shame as it was one of the key features of this phone. There are still old stocks remaining at some storesbut you'll have to enquire.

ReputationRep:
    I bought the HTC Wildfire last Friday from Tesco, £180 pay as you go. Good luck getting it for less than that without resorting to eBay. Sure they might be in Argos for £130 but they've sold out in pretty much every store and don't sell it online. I'm really pleased with my phone, I had to get PAYG because I already have a SIM only o2 contract (wasn't planning on my sony ericsson breaking though, grr), thank the lord i didn't have to unlock it because tesco uses o2.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, new models of this phone now feature a TFT screen instead of AMOLED. That's such a shame as it was one of the key features of this phone. There are still old stocks remaining at some storesbut you'll have to enquire.
    Yea the lack of OLED on the new models sucks but the phone itself is still a bargain. I would have bought one regardless. Can't wait for the Orange San Francisco 2 or whatever it may be. An ironed out ZTE Blade :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently looking at the Wildfire but apparently the lower screen resolution means that a lot of apps aren't available for the phone. Can anyone who has the phone say whether the problem is as bad as some make it out to be?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.