Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you do essay research/notetaking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How do you do your research? Do you read books and make notes on paper, or type notes into your own words straight away? Or do you copy out directly from sources and put it into your own words?

Is there any software you use? Or just prefer writing on paper?

I like EverNote to organise my notes, anyone else use it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't use books, I find that if I look at a book, then I don't get much from just the 1. I look up articles online, I find I get more from looking up loads of articles rather than 1 book. I do my research at home, not in the library so I can't be bringing 10+ books home. I type it straight into Word as well. I usually email it to myself everyday as well just so I don't accidentally delete it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I don't use books, I find that if I look at a book, then I don't get much from just the 1. I look up articles online, I find I get more from looking up loads of articles rather than 1 book. I do my research at home, not in the library so I can't be bringing 10+ books home. I type it straight into Word as well. I usually email it to myself everyday as well just so I don't accidentally delete it!
    I used to do that. Try downloading DropBox instead, its free and much easier.

ReputationRep:
    I read books and take notes on paper. This is so I basically know what I'm doing before I start.
    Once I have actually started writing the thing I look up journals online and type info from them directly into my essay. I also get a few more books, either from the library or Google books. Google books is an awesome night-before solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugueseninja)
    How do you do your research? Do you read books and make notes on paper, or type notes into your own words straight away? Or do you copy out directly from sources and put it into your own words?

Is there any software you use? Or just prefer writing on paper?

I like EverNote to organise my notes, anyone else use it?
    Thanks for the heads up on EverNote. Just downloaded it now. Seems quite useful!

I know this may sound ridiculously obvious, but all files are private right?

ReputationRep:
    In one word? badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Thanks for the heads up on EverNote. Just downloaded it now. Seems quite useful!

I know this may sound ridiculously obvious, but all files are private right?
    Umm... I think so! I haven't used the sync feature, although it does continually tell me it's synching my files, I think that means I can access them remotely from another computer. But it is good. There's probably a better way to use it, but I create a Notebook for each essay title I'm working on, then within each one I create a new Note for each book/journal/whatever and then type in the text box in bullet points.

It's useful because if you remember writing something but can't remember which page you wrote it on, you can just search in the text box and it finds all instances of that word throughout the Notebook. Much easier than scouring through pages of handwritten notes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugueseninja)
    Umm... I think so! I haven't used the sync feature, although it does continually tell me it's synching my files, I think that means I can access them remotely from another computer. But it is good. There's probably a better way to use it, but I create a Notebook for each essay title I'm working on, then within each one I create a new Note for each book/journal/whatever and then type in the text box in bullet points.

It's useful because if you remember writing something but can't remember which page you wrote it on, you can just search in the text box and it finds all instances of that word throughout the Notebook. Much easier than scouring through pages of handwritten notes!
    Ooook thank you! I really do like it. Seems very useful!

ReputationRep:
    I firstly skim-read books/journals/websites once I know what I'm looking for and print or photocopy sources if I know they could be useful as I find it easier to highlight and write on bits of paper. If I use Google Books then I'll make notes on paper but it does drive me a bit nuts if there's a lot to write out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.