Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am aware that some people may think i'm stupid for saying this but it's just something I thought of that I find a little worrying.

Basically I have little faith in people. And next year i'm supposed to be moving into a house with 3 others. The downside is, the contract is a group one, so if one person moves out, everyone else has to pay extra......fair enough.

BUT, what if by some freak chance 3 people moved out? The person left would be ****ed. I know this may sound far fetched, but a) it can happen, and b) like I said, I don't have much trust in others.

Is it actually worth the risk? I mean, can you imagine being left to pay 400 per week!

I am aware that you could get a new flatmate, but easier said than done to be fair and there's no guarantee.

Why couldn't the house people just give us individual contracts

Your thoughts? You think i'm barmy? Reckon private halls would be better? (No reliance on others).

I'm thinking of my Dad tbh, he's the one paying the rent etc. So I do worry about finances seen as it's not my money that would be in the ****...........I know some people will have a go at me for relying on 'Daddy' but that's not the point of the thread so don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    You should discuss with the people you will be living with - not the internet you will be e-shagging with.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know the other people involved?

I wouldn't be comfortable getting into that kind of arrangement with strangers either to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Do you know the other people involved?

I wouldn't be comfortable getting into that kind of arrangement with strangers either to be honest.
    I do know them yeah. One is my course mate and the other 2 are her flatmates. But still it relies on trusting them if you know what I mean.

(Original post by -beads-)
    You should discuss with the people you will be living with - not the internet you will be e-shagging with.
    How's that going to help? They don't know if their going to leave halfway through the year anymore than I do.

And drop the attitude. It's totally unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be at all happy about that prospect either, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    You are required to have a great deal of faith and trust in your future flatmates - like you said, there's no way out of the contract if people decide to move out - the payment will fall on you. So make sure you like the people you are moving in with.

Maybe try 'bonding' with them a bit more? Get to know them better?

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest...my friend's brother's flatmate did something similar. He 'didn't' have the money to pay for his rent and moved out well before the contract ended, so it fell on my friend's brother to pay. He wasn't happy about it. But managed to sell some of the stuff the flatmate had left there and made his money back that way. When his flatmate realised some of his stuff was gone, he went crazy, friend's brother was just like 'well, what do you expect? You never paid the money.'

It's a difficult situation. You'll just have to trust them...or pawn some of their stuff? I'm not sure what kind of legal action you can take if they move out or don't pay their half, you'd have to ask housing advice - I suggest 'Citizen's Advice Bureau', I think it's called.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessie18)
    You are required to have a great deal of faith and trust in your future flatmates - like you said, there's no way out of the contract if people decide to move out - the payment will fall on you. So make sure you like the people you are moving in with.

Maybe try 'bonding' with them a bit more? Get to know them better?

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest...my friend's brother's flatmate did something similar. He 'didn't' have the money to pay for his rent and moved out well before the contract ended, so it fell on my friend's brother to pay. He wasn't happy about it. But managed to sell some of the stuff the flatmate had left there and made his money back that way. When his flatmate realised some of his stuff was gone, he went crazy, friend's brother was just like 'well, what do you expect? You never paid the money.'

It's a difficult situation. You'll just have to trust them...or pawn some of their stuff? I'm not sure what kind of legal action you can take if they move out or don't pay their half, you'd have to ask housing advice - I suggest 'Citizen's Advice Bureau', I think it's called.

Good luck!
    Wow. Poor guy, he had every right to sell that guys stuff though!

I think i've sorted everything. I've just basically said, i'm not comfortable with a group contract, so if they are dead set on the houses we have already seen then i'm not going to be able to house with them. But if they are willing to look for somewhere with individual contracts then I have no problem with it at all. Can't complain really, it's not like i'm flat out saying no.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you will find most student lets are like this. It's fine, it's unlikely anyone will leave, and if they do it's often possible to get someone else in. If 3 leave then leave too! As long as you know the people well it should be fine, maybe make an agreement you will continue paying the rent until a replacement housemate is found? It shouldn'd be the make or break over wether you share with your friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowworld)
    I'm pretty sure you will find most student lets are like this. It's fine, it's unlikely anyone will leave, and if they do it's often possible to get someone else in. If 3 leave then leave too! As long as you know the people well it should be fine, maybe make an agreement you will continue paying the rent until a replacement housemate is found? It shouldn'd be the make or break over wether you share with your friends
    They aren't really my friends. Just people I know on my course.......

I wouldn't live with my friends because they are very loud party people. I think they are awesome but I couldn't be living with them. So I reckon i'll just go into a studio in private halls next year. Plenty of peace and quiet and don't have to rely on anyone. It's early days, i'm sure they can find a replacement for me

I know this seems a bit hypocritical that i've agreed then said no. But that's not what i've intended to do at all, and i'm just questioning whether I can trust them.......you never know, peoples circumstances can change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    They aren't really my friends. Just people I know on my course.......

I wouldn't live with my friends because they are very loud party people. I think they are awesome but I couldn't be living with them. So I reckon i'll just go into a studio in private halls next year. Plenty of peace and quiet and don't have to rely on anyone. It's early days, i'm sure they can find a replacement for me

I know this seems a bit hypocritical that i've agreed then said no. But that's not what i've intended to do at all, and i'm just questioning whether I can trust them.......you never know, peoples circumstances can change.
    Are they looking at other houses with individual contracts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Are they looking at other houses with individual contracts?
    I've no idea, they didn't give me much of a response - reckon i've pissed them off, which wasn't my intention, but i'd rather do that then get into a situation which i'm not comfortable with.

To be honest, i'm more than happy to get a studio flat in private halls next year, so i'm not really fussed if they preferred we went our separate ways. I'm secretly hoping that's the case anyway

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea, they didn't give me much of a response - reckon i've pissed them off, which wasn't my intention, but i'd rather do that then get into a situation which i'm not comfortable with.

To be honest, i'm more than happy to get a studio flat in private halls next year, so i'm not really fussed if they preferred we went our separate ways. I'm secretly hoping that's the case anyway
    If you'd rather not live with them, why not just tell them that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    If you'd rather not live with them, why not just tell them that?
    Oh no you misunderstand. I don't have a problem living with them. They are quiet people so I know I could happily live with them and still have my own space.

But should they decide that they would like someone else who isn't as fussy about the whole contract thing then I don't have a problem going into a studio. I'm warming to the idea, so i'm considering maybe that's what i'd prefer.......but I don't have a problem with living with them, should they need a fourth housemate and individual contracts!

ReputationRep:
    Usually within a group contract each individual should have a signatory that is obliged to pay if the person living there stops paying...?

Or maybe that's just the one we've got. I don't think any of my housemates will drop out anyway though :P

ReputationRep:
    I am aware that some people may think i'm stupid for saying this but it's just something I thought of that I find a little worrying.

Basically I have little faith in people. And next year i'm supposed to be moving into a house with 3 others. The downside is, the contract is a group one, so if one person moves out, everyone else has to pay extra......fair enough.

BUT, what if by some freak chance 3 people moved out? The person left would be ****ed. I know this may sound far fetched, but a) it can happen, and b) like I said, I don't have much trust in others.

Is it actually worth the risk? I mean, can you imagine being left to pay 400 per week!

I am aware that you could get a new flatmate, but easier said than done to be fair and there's no guarantee.

Why couldn't the house people just give us individual contracts

Your thoughts? You think i'm barmy? Reckon private halls would be better? (No reliance on others).

I'm thinking of my Dad tbh, he's the one paying the rent etc. So I do worry about finances seen as it's not my money that would be in the ****...........I know some people will have a go at me for relying on 'Daddy' but that's not the point of the thread so don't bother.

We had a housing talk today at uni and they said this exactly, is an easy trap to fall in to - the speakers advised us to ask the landlord/housing agency if we could have separate contracts so each of us are not liable for the others rent. You could always try and ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    We had a housing talk today at uni and they said this exactly, is an easy trap to fall in to - the speakers advised us to ask the landlord/housing agency if we could have separate contracts so each of us are not liable for the others rent. You could always try and ask
    Ah it's fine, the girls for some reason don't speak to me now :rolleyes: (I didn't say I wouldn't live with them, just not prepared to go under a group contract).

So I plan just on going into private halls.

I'm quite happy things have worked out this way, because if they are going to go into a strop because I said i'd be happier with group rather than individual, imagine how many other strops they could go into :/

ReputationRep:
    people ive spoken to about this have basically all agreed with their housemates that if one of them moves out that they still pay the rent for their room (at least until someone else is found to fill the room), to be fair you have to trust them a fair bit for this and its not legally binding but its worth bringing it up especially if your other housemates will back you up if one of them does leave

ReputationRep:
    Ah it's fine, the girls for some reason don't speak to me now :rolleyes: (I didn't say I wouldn't live with them, just not prepared to go under a group contract).

I'm quite happy things have worked out this way, because if they are going to go into a strop because I said i'd be happier with group rather than individual, imagine how many other strops they could go into :/

Jeez! Yeah it sounds like your better off not moving in with them

ReputationRep:

Ooh, that's not nice of them - not like you said you wouldn't share with them, just you had a very reasonable concern.

Studio in private halls sounds much nicer, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.