Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody

I'm on an MA at the moment and am considering applying for PhD.

I'd be unable to study without AHRC funding (which I got for my Master's) so this affects the universities I want to apply to.

I was considering taking a year off inbetween to really nail my application, but I've just realised that if I start this year, I'll be in before the fees rise.

Is it worth me rushing and applying for 2011 entry? Or do you think the funding packages from the AHRC will cover the massive hike in fees that we are expecting?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe the fees rise effects postgraduate courses, including the PhD. Postgraduate fees never had an imposed limit to what they can charge anyway (see LSE MSc courses as an example!). The big differences you read about are mostly for undergrad fees. PhD fees probably will most likely rise, as they do every year for the past few years I've noticed. But it'll probably be in the hundreds of pounds rather than the thousands, so not massive. Full funding packages are normally adjusted to match increased tuition anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    That's very clear, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikiichu)
    Hello everybody

I'm on an MA at the moment and am considering applying for PhD.

I'd be unable to study without AHRC funding (which I got for my Master's) so this affects the universities I want to apply to.

I was considering taking a year off inbetween to really nail my application, but I've just realised that if I start this year, I'll be in before the fees rise.

Is it worth me rushing and applying for 2011 entry? Or do you think the funding packages from the AHRC will cover the massive hike in fees that we are expecting?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
    Our problem is not so much increased fees (as WaltzvWendt has pointed out), but the withdrawal of AHRC funding altogether. I went to a funding meeting a few weeks ago and the university did not know whether their BGP placements were going to be fulfilled (i.e. the awards they won be paid). It now seems that the government has decided to hand over the money this year (at least to Bristol), though one of my lecturers has told me to ask prospective departments whether they are actually receiving their money this year (2011/12), but that might not be the case next year (i.e. 2012/13).

If you are in a position to apply for next year then I would advise you to do so, because the BGP is likely to changed as the government decides just how much they are going to take from the arts and humanities. One small ray of hope is that PhD fees are often the least expensive in higher education, particularly compared to masters' fees.

ReputationRep:
    Food for thought. Thank you. I'll ask my supervisor about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    One small ray of hope is that PhD fees are often the least expensive in higher education, particularly compared to masters' fees.
    The most expensive part of AHRC is the stipend, though. £14,000 per year for three years to fund a graduate student is a lot of money, and once you add up the hundreds of BGP places across the country (not to mention the few dozen open competition ones) it adds up to millions of pounds. If the government's anti-Humanities crusade continues, AHRC would be a ripe target.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.