Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What car should would be sensible? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a new car.. I passed my test ten months ago and I've had a w-reg corsa. It had 70 thousand miles when I got it, it now has closer to 90 thousand and it has got so many problems it isn't worth fixing. So I'm going to buy another car.

I have up to £6000 to spend but don't really want to spend more than £5000.. I need something that'll cope with long journeys no problem because I'll be driving from Surrey to Newcastle a few times a month.... 700 mile round journey. So something reliable? maybe diesel?

A few cars I like the look of are ford focus', mini coopers, vw beetles and vw polos.... I don't know which/if any of these are a good idea though! especially for long trips. Nothing bigger than a 1.6 litre or I can't afford the insurance.

Also one last point is i'm quite tiny, I'm 4ft 11 so nothing too big.... I need a cushion in my corsa. I don't mind having a cushion though

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    You could get a Mini One but it's likely to be at least 5-6 years old for that budget, or a Mini Cooper is likely to be at least 8 years old. Good cars, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You could get a Mini One but it's likely to be at least 5-6 years old for that budget, or a Mini Cooper is likely to be at least 8 years old. Good cars, though.
    Yeah I REALLY WANT ONE. But everyone I mention that to are like "they're tiny you want a bigger car when you're driving to newcastle all the time."

Is that true?! I do A LOT of motorway driving but I don't understand why a mini would struggle with that if it's got a 1.6l engine..?

ReputationRep:
    Mini
    You thought about a streetka im in love with mine eventho its stuck on the drive in the snow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by something_vague)
    Yeah I REALLY WANT ONE. But everyone I mention that to are like "they're tiny you want a bigger car when you're driving to newcastle all the time."

Is that true?! I do A LOT of motorway driving but I don't understand why a mini would struggle with that if it's got a 1.6l engine..?

I have one, it's brilliant. Unless you plan to take 3 or 4 people on a regular basis then space isn't really an issue, as a 2-seater it's actually pretty spacious. It's fine on motorways as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Mini
    You thought about a streetka im in love with mine eventho its stuck on the drive in the snow
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I have one, it's brilliant. Unless you plan to take 3 or 4 people on a regular basis then space isn't really an issue, as a 2-seater it's actually pretty spacious. It's fine on motorways as well.
    Yey thanks I'm mini-searching.

Does this one look good?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01046373548291

or...
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01046373590357

or:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01045373019188
    I want a newer car/less miles really though hmm I'll either have to increase budget which means driving my dying corsa for months, or finding a cheap car I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by something_vague)
    I want a newer car/less miles really though hmm I'll either have to increase budget which means driving my dying corsa for months, or finding a cheap car I guess.
    That's the problem with Minis from the point of view of someone who wants to buy one, they hold their value really well.

ReputationRep:
    Get a second-hand VW Golf/Polo.
    For that money you could easy get a pretty new one and in excellent condition.

ReputationRep:
    I had a Mini, was the worst car I ever owned and would never buy one again. Yes they do hold their value but mine cost a fortune to run as well, I had a Mini One and it was an 04 reg. Not to mention the costs if something goes wrong - the clutch went on mine after only 2500 miles but that's a whole other story I wont go into now :rolleyes:

I agree about a Polo, they are nice cars and also hold their value well. Before my current car I had a Fiat Grande Punto diesel, mine was a 1.9 but I know they do a 1.3 model too, it was great on fuel and had loads of extras on it too that most other cars didnt have like handsfree bluetooth, USB drive etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Until recently I had a Ford Focus 1.6l. It was very economical and reliable. Because they are so common, parts are fairly cheap.

By the time it was 9 years old though, it did become quite sluggish.

I only got rid of it because it was written off in an accident.

VW hold their value very well. This is good when you come to sell it on, but not so good when you are trying to buy. Personally, I think they are overpriced.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly have a look at something like a Mondeo. The old ones replaced the Sierra (if you got one of those I would actually fall in love with you) as the nation's rep-mobile and the newer ones carry that title on somewhat. As a result of this they're inconspicuous and parts are cheap so insurance is good, and they're comfortable and spacious for long journeys. You won't stand out but you'll have a car you can get a lot of people/stuff in easily and will go well on the motorway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    I had a Mini, was the worst car I ever owned and would never buy one again. Yes they do hold their value but mine cost a fortune to run as well, I had a Mini One and it was an 04 reg. Not to mention the costs if something goes wrong - the clutch went on mine after only 2500 miles but that's a whole other story I wont go into now :rolleyes:

I agree about a Polo, they are nice cars and also hold their value well. Before my current car I had a Fiat Grande Punto diesel, mine was a 1.9 but I know they do a 1.3 model too, it was great on fuel and had loads of extras on it too that most other cars didnt have like handsfree bluetooth, USB drive etc etc.
    You must just have had a bad one, BMW reliability with mini. My aunty has had one since new (04 reg now on 100k now) and all it has cost her is tires, breaks ie comsumables etc + if your clutch went at 2500 youve either abused it on its been fitted wrong if its the later it would be underwarrenty.

OP what about a golf instead of a polo as you get so much more for your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    You must just have had a bad one, BMW reliability with mini. My aunty has had one since new (04 reg now on 100k now) and all it has cost her is tires, breaks ie comsumables etc + if your clutch went at 2500 youve either abused it on its been fitted wrong if its the later it would be underwarrenty.

OP what about a golf instead of a polo as you get so much more for your money.
    Actually, if you check the Mini Forums you will see there are quite a few people who have had problems with clutches on Mini's, in particular the old model. So it is not 'abuse' at all. In the end they did actually admit responsibility, but it cost me £1500 to fix. Yes ok maybe I did have a 'bad' one but my experience with BMW/Mini was so dire that I would never, ever recommend them to anyone- their customer service was crap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.