Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to download Microsoft Office without disk? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay I got one of those crappy mini netbooks and it came with a trial version of windows 7. This expired and now they're asking for a product key in order to continue using. I have a Windows 7 disk including product key, the issue is this laptop cannot take disks, there is nowhere to insert disks into!
    I've tried entering the product key I have all the same, yet it doesn't worl :/
    What can I do to continue using Office ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzyy)
    Okay I got one of those crappy mini netbooks and it came with a trial version of windows 7. This expired and now they're asking for a product key in order to continue using. I have a Windows 7 disk including product key, the issue is this laptop cannot take disks, there is nowhere to insert disks into!
    I've tried entering the product key I have all the same, yet it doesn't worl :/
    What can I do to continue using Office ?
    Windows 7 is the operating system.
    Microsoft Office is a suite of programs includingWord, powerpoint etc.

Therefore they're not the same and you don't use the Windows 7 product key.

In order to get an Office key, you'll need to buy it. As a student (if you are one) you can get it cheaply from StudentSoftware.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean office?

http://www.software4students.co.uk/M...Fc0f4QodYAo7gA

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you want to do it legit or non-legit.
    Legit: 60 day trial here - http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/try/

ReputationRep:
    Yup gosh sorry I meant office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Windows 7 is the operating system.
    Microsoft Office is a suite of programs includingWord, powerpoint etc.

Therefore they're not the same and you don't use the Windows 7 product key.

In order to get an Office key, you'll need to buy it. As a student (if you are one) you can get it cheaply from StudentSoftware.

Thanks for the link.

ReputationRep:
    There is "Open Office". Free and much better.

ReputationRep:
    As gradyhawks said there are many free, better alternatives to microsoft office that will open all the same file types.
    The best known and best supported for windows at moment is probably openoffice.
    Worth a google, if you don't like it you have lost nothing.

THere are various naughty free ways to get an office key, ask around any techy friends you have, otherwise whenever you buy a real legit copy it will have the code in the box which is all you need as you can download the trail again from microsoft and then enter the code to make it the full thing, and it will download any extra files it may need.

Ask around your University as well, especially the computing departments, my Uni has a deal with microsoft where you could get most of office for free and they just handed out codes to your uni email!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gradyhawks)
    Better, how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Better, how?
    Free forever. Wont cost a penny.
    Light on resources. Works very well on netbooks.
    Your not feeding the money giant that is Microsoft. Always a winner.
    Looks clean and modern. Not the ridiculous look Word 2010 has.
    Again. Its free.
    Free. Free.
    Free.

ReputationRep:
    Free and suitable for light users you mean. After all Google Doc's is free as is Microsoft web office, plus no download. It's not as good...yet. In any case office is pretty decent value with a student discount. Better than MATLAB or ORIGIN.
    It's like saying GIMP is a suitable replacement for Photoshop. It isn't, GIMP is a suitable replacement for Photoshop Elements(and is somewhat better arguably).

ReputationRep:
    If you are not a power user and just want to write some essays, do the odd spreadsheet and such then open office is more than enough.

here you go

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...ffice-software

ReputationRep:
      Looks clean and modern. Not the ridiculous look Word 2010 has.
      Are you actually serious?
      Open Office looks like it belongs on a Windows 95 computer. Or it certainly did when I tried it last year.
      There's nothing wrong with the way Office 2010 looks, and the ribbon interface is quite powerful once you get used to it.

office 2007 looks the same as 2010 bth and i got both

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.