Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was awake for 40 hours until I went to bed at 2 in the morning (watching the cricket was painful), and with the help of 4 coffees over that time I felt c0ompletely fine, not that tired at all. This got me wondering what the longest time its possible to stay awake with, using any LEGAL stimulants, like coffee, pro plus, any drinks etc. I think I could do 72 hours no problem (not gonna try it for a while at the rate the crickets going though) but even that could be beaten by quite a wide margin I think.

The only side effect was when I woke up I had a massive headache and a cold and just generally feel like ****.

Whats the longest you've stayed awake for, and what do you think the limits are?

ReputationRep:
    The record was set by a 17 year old decades ago, and he stayed awake for eleven days without using any extreme stimulants. A guy called Peter Tripp managed 8 days, but he used Ritalin I think.

The weird thing was that the 17 year old experienced no severe long term side effects, but Peter Tripp (who was middle aged) experienced pretty extreme hallucinations and sleep problems for the rest of his life.

So 40 hours doesn't come close to human limits, I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_C)
    The record was set by a 17 year old decades ago, and he stayed awake for eleven days without using any extreme stimulants. A guy called Peter Tripp managed 8 days, but he used Ritalin I think.

The weird thing was that the 17 year old experienced no severe long term side effects, but Peter Tripp (who was middle aged) experienced pretty extreme hallucinations and sleep problems for the rest of his life.

I think you just killed OP a little bit inside... made his 40 hour-adventure seem like nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_C)

I didn't think it was anywhere near, it was only what got me wondering about it. Those are a lot beyond what I thought possible, I would have thought 4 or 5 days would be the maximum

ReputationRep:
    After about a week you start hallucinating apparently. I wouldn't suggest trying.

ReputationRep:
    Most people crash out after 24-30hours.
    Longest I've been awake without sleeping is 2 days ish, but I've had a 5 day run where I only had 1-2 hours sleep a night, before majorly crashing out afterwards.
    People above have already said what the record is.

Guiness World Records have now removed future entries for it because of potential health risks.

ReputationRep:
    At one point during the summer, I looked at the clock and realised I'd been up for about 30 hours straight. I felt absolutely terrible - I was laughing at everything anyone said to me, walking around aimlessly and felt almost like I was drunk. The interesting thing is that I only felt like this in the last 3 or so hours, before that I didn't feel too bad. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Most people crash out after 24-30hours.
    Longest I've been awake without sleeping is 2 days ish, but I've had a 5 day run where I only had 1-2 hours sleep a night, before majorly crashing out afterwards.
    People above have already said what the record is.

Guiness World Records have now removed future entries for it because of potential health risks.
    I agree that you can last a lot longer than you think on little sleep. I have done about the same with 3 hours in three days. You don't feel that bad as long as you are not bored then it kicks in. This was caused by not being able to turn my brain off due to personal stress.

In terms of longest stint I think 52 hours. I slept for 12 straight afterwards and it was fine. No plan to repeat it though, sleep is nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrozius Faatz)
    At one point during the summer, I looked at the clock and realised I'd been up for about 30 hours straight. I felt absolutely terrible - I was laughing at everything anyone said to me, walking around aimlessly and felt almost like I was drunk. The interesting thing is that I only felt like this in the last 3 or so hours, before that I didn't feel too bad. :dontknow:
    Yeah, everyone around me has been saying that 40 hours was insane, and too much, but honestly I didnt feel too bad, other than a bit worse at concentrating.
    But I have a really bad headache now, even an hour and a half after getting up, so unless there's some other reason then its made me feel really ill, and I wont be doing it again. **** you Ashes cricket, being in Australia.
    Also I liked this stat:

"Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24-hour accessibility of the internet. "

ReputationRep:
    Well I managed 3 days and 2 1/2 nights...However I then proceeded to crash & sleep for 21 hours straight...so not the best idea:sleep:

ReputationRep:
    I think my personal record is about 44 hours
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Apparently after a week solid you start to risk death

ReputationRep:
    I managed about four or five days during the summer but was a shell of a man towards the end and slept the whole of the next 24 hours. Don't try it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Apparently after a week solid you start to risk death
    Both personally and to others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    I was awake for 40 hours until I went to bed at 2 in the morning (watching the cricket was painful), and with the help of 4 coffees over that time I felt c0ompletely fine, not that tired at all. This got me wondering what the longest time its possible to stay awake with, using any LEGAL stimulants, like coffee, pro plus, any drinks etc. I think I could do 72 hours no problem (not gonna try it for a while at the rate the crickets going though) but even that could be beaten by quite a wide margin I think.

The only side effect was when I woke up I had a massive headache and a cold and just generally feel like ****.

Whats the longest you've stayed awake for, and what do you think the limits are?
    I went for 72 hours but I wouldn't recomend it by the end my friend came home to find me in tears unable to cope and suffering from extreme hallucinations (and not the good kind) and he just dosed me with diazipam to put me out.

ReputationRep:
    Danse macabra-

And I can stay awake, but like you said, there's the headache etc to look forward to.

ReputationRep:
    Well during exam period there was this one week I had exams every day so from monday to friday I was getting about 1-2 hours sleep a night, then after friday I slept like never before it was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    Well during exam period there was this one week I had exams every day so from monday to friday I was getting about 1-2 hours sleep a night, then after friday I slept like never before it was amazing.
    Wasn't your performance in the exams impeded by your lack of sleep?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone remember a TV show called "Shattered" that was on a few years ago? They had people on there trying to stay awake for a week. Apparently after you pass the 3 day mark you stop feeling sleepy... until you spontaneously collapse from exhaustion.

I don't think I've ever been awake for more than 24 straight hours, though there was once a 3 day (~72 hour) period where I was awake apart from two two-hour naps...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.