Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Conservatives are cutting the deficit, but are they investing in the future? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I think that overpaid, underworked bureaucrats (spelling?) should be sacked before frontline nurses etc, but are the conservatives investing in the future by raising student fees by so much? Also, in my university lectures/tutorials are decreasing every year, as is their quality, so what are we paying for?

So, is this "cut cut cut...everything" attitude of the conservatives and liberal democrats a permanent solution to our deficit problems, or are they lighting a timebomb?

discuss.

(Original post by mathperson)
    Firstly I think that overpaid, underworked bureaucrats (spelling?) should be sacked before frontline nurses etc, but are the conservatives investing in the future by raising student fees by so much? Also, in my university lectures/tutorials are decreasing every year, as is their quality, so what are we paying for?

So, is this "cut cut cut...everything" attitude of the conservatives and liberal democrats a permanent solution to our deficit problems, or are they lighting a timebomb?

discuss.
    The timebomb was lit when Blair went to war on Iraq.

Financially, we're ****ed. I don't think we're ever going to recover.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well they are trying to build trade links and increase UK trade so in that respect yes. Labour's grad tax that they want to bring in would do far more damage to uni numbers than increased loans. Why get a degree if it means ou pay more tax for the rest of your life?

ReputationRep:
    They've actually got a competent economist in government, at least. That's a better investment in the future than Liebour's super-tax, super-spend policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well they are trying to build trade links and increase UK trade so in that respect yes. Labour's grad tax that they want to bring in would do far more damage to uni numbers than increased loans. Why get a degree if it means ou pay more tax for the rest of your life?
    Yes, trying being the key word there. Although a noble sentiment that our PM is going to China, India to try and drum up trade, the fact is that it doesn't look as if it's going to be very fruitful. Every one of our major European trading partners is employing fiscal contraction just as we are in the UK. The problem is that everyone wants to export but nobody wants to import - the circle of trade, if you like, doesn't join at both ends. And when a circle doesn't join at both ends what you get is a spiral. A bit of extra trade with Asia isn't going to counteract the loss of trade in the Eu where most of our trade is.

In answer to the OP's question, I really do not think this government is doing enough to ensure growth in our economy. It is absurd to think we are going to have masses of export led growth, yes we have a favorable depreciated exchange rate, but so does everyone else we trade with - bar perhaps Australia. We have a cut in corporation tax to give incentives for employment, but again this just isn't enough. The growth we have seen in our economy in the last 2 quarters 1.2% (I think?) and more recently 0.8% are as a result of Labour's fiscal stimulus. That cannot be argued against credibly, fiscal policy takes around a year to come into effect.

Only time will tell if this government has done enough - we are just coming out of a recession and this government just isn't taking full opportunity of the spare capacity in our economy. This is exactly the time to be investing, but I fear we are not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.