A2 chem: alanine + HCl

Watch this thread
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Alanine is a carboyxlic acid and I am doing a question which asks what happens when it is added to HCl. I understand both will dissociate. Will the Cl- from the HCl then attack the O- in the alanine thus forming H2NCH4COO+Cl- ?
Irrelevance
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SilverstarDJ)
Alanine is a carboyxlic acid and I am doing a question which asks what happens when it is added to HCl. I understand both will dissociate. Will the Cl- from the HCl then attack the O- in the alanine thus forming H2NCH4COO+Cl- ?
Don't think of alanine as just a carboxylic acid - there's an amino group on the other side too. Certain molecules contain both carboxylic acid groups and amino groups. Once you figure that out, you have look what happens when these types of molecules are placed into varying pH's
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Irrelevance)
Don't think of alanine as just a carboxylic acid - there's an amino group on the other side too. Certain molecules contain both carboxylic acid groups and amino groups. Once you figure that out, you have look what happens when these types of molecules are placed into varying pH's
Thanks for your reply, however I'm still not sure how the amino group will react to the acid. I know that proteins denature if pH from biology a level but I never really considered the specifics of what happens.

Could anyone give me perhaps another clue?

Thank you.
Irrelevance
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for your reply, however I'm still not sure how the amino group will react to the acid. I know that proteins denature if pH from biology a level but I never really considered the specifics of what happens.

Could anyone give me perhaps another clue?

Thank you.
This should help:

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr.../acidbase.html

Althought that page is a bit poo because it only talks about amino acids as zwitterions. In short, the acid protonates the amino group to give NH3+ :awesome:
xijealiu
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
oxygene with positive load? is this possible?
AftabGujral
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
This is what happens with amino acids:

Here is a revision guide on amino acids

https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.c...ns-and-dna.pdf
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (36)
28.13%
It went fairly well (55)
42.97%
It didn't go too well (24)
18.75%
TERRIBLE! (13)
10.16%

Watched Threads