Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im currently doing my gcse's and am predicted 5 A*'s, 5A's and 1 B. Are these gcse grades alright? Im looking to take chemistry, biology, maths and geography for a levels, are these choices ok? Also, i'm predicted an A* for gcse maths, so will i find a level maths hard?

ReputationRep:
    yee!! dnt strays! young man.. just sleep

ReputationRep:
    Your worrying too much.

ReputationRep:
    If you are predicted an A* in maths, you obviously have an aptitude for the subject so why would you find it hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V ii s h a l)
    Hi, im currently doing my gcse's and am predicted 5 A*'s, 5A's and 1 B. Are these gcse grades alright? Im looking to take chemistry, biology, maths and geography for a levels, are these choices ok? Also, i'm predicted an A* for gcse maths, so will i find a level maths hard?
    Well done, those GCSEs are very good. As long as your science subjects are A, then you are in a very good situation. When applying for dentistry, be mindful of certain universities GCSE preferences, as some really like high GCSEs, though I believe you meet the requirement (and more) for all the dentistry schools.

Those A level choices are absolutely fine. As long as you have Biology and Chemistry, all is well
    If you are getting an A* in GCSE maths, then hopefully you will be fine with A level. There is a big step up between GCSE and AS levels (in my opinion), and some people struggle with the increasing difficulty of this. However, you will be taking 4 subejcts at AS, so if worst comes to worst and you are not coping well with Maths, then you can always decide to carry Geography on to A2 level instead. As long as you have Chem and Biol, nothing else really matters.
    Don't forget, you have to get those 3 A's at A2 level, so make sure you work really hard in AS to make it easier for yourself, and carry on the 3rd subject that you are doing best in and enjoy the most.

Other than that, just get started on your work experience and keep up the extra-curricular and you will be a in a very strong position when it comes to applying.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Im doing biology, chemistry, geography and eng lang at college. Will this be okay, or would it be worthwhile doing a third science as this would give me preferance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey101)
    Im doing biology, chemistry, geography and eng lang at college. Will this be okay, or would it be worthwhile doing a third science as this would give me preferance?
    Doing a third science does not give you an advantage over those who are only doing two.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure this post has been posted before, but I'll give an answer nevertheless.

Your GCSEs seem fine, however some unis want a certain number of GCSEs above A/A*, so you have to check that.. And unis like Birmingham look at your GCSEs when deciding whether to give you an interview or not, however most unis don't really - AS grades and A2 predicted grades are more important.

As for A level subjects, as long as you have Biology and Chemistry, you should be fine.. Though some unis like the third subject to be Maths, but you're taking that anyway So you're fine Just work hard when you get to sixth form..

If you're predicted A* for GCSE maths, you'll find A level maths simple Do you by any chance take Additional Mathematics? Because if you do, AS Maths is really easy

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, why do you want to do dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bramz19)
    Out of interest, why do you want to do dentistry?
    I personally want to do dentistry for two reasons:

1) I love sciences, especially chemistry and biology

2) i love things to do with manaul dexterity..from a young age, i've been playing piano and guitar and have also been interested in things such as lego!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gene-ius)
    Well done, those GCSEs are very good. As long as your science subjects are A, then you are in a very good situation. When applying for dentistry, be mindful of certain universities GCSE preferences, as some really like high GCSEs, though I believe you meet the requirement (and more) for all the dentistry schools.

Those A level choices are absolutely fine. As long as you have Biology and Chemistry, all is well
    If you are getting an A* in GCSE maths, then hopefully you will be fine with A level. There is a big step up between GCSE and AS levels (in my opinion), and some people struggle with the increasing difficulty of this. However, you will be taking 4 subejcts at AS, so if worst comes to worst and you are not coping well with Maths, then you can always decide to carry Geography on to A2 level instead. As long as you have Chem and Biol, nothing else really matters.
    Don't forget, you have to get those 3 A's at A2 level, so make sure you work really hard in AS to make it easier for yourself, and carry on the 3rd subject that you are doing best in and enjoy the most.

Other than that, just get started on your work experience and keep up the extra-curricular and you will be a in a very strong position when it comes to applying.

Good luck
    Thank you for your help, i really appreciate it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPixie)
    Pretty sure this post has been posted before, but I'll give an answer nevertheless.

Your GCSEs seem fine, however some unis want a certain number of GCSEs above A/A*, so you have to check that.. And unis like Birmingham look at your GCSEs when deciding whether to give you an interview or not, however most unis don't really - AS grades and A2 predicted grades are more important.

As for A level subjects, as long as you have Biology and Chemistry, you should be fine.. Though some unis like the third subject to be Maths, but you're taking that anyway So you're fine Just work hard when you get to sixth form..

If you're predicted A* for GCSE maths, you'll find A level maths simple Do you by any chance take Additional Mathematics? Because if you do, AS Maths is really easy
    Thank you for your help i don't do additional maths as i decided that i could use the time to focus on other subjects, i dont know if that was the right choice though

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help i don't do additional maths as i decided that i could use the time to focus on other subjects, i dont know if that was the right choice though
    Ahh.. Don't worry, AS maths is still pretty simple Just make sure you understand if when you learn it, so all you need to do is practice You'll be fine Don't worry You're still doing GCSEs! I only decided to do Dentistry at the end of year 12

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.