Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your reason for not drinking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some people don't drink for religious reasons.
    Some people don't drink because they've had a bad experience with alcohol.
    Some people don't drink because they're allergic to alchol.
    Some people just don't like it.

The best one I've heard so far came from this guy on my course. He doesn't drink because he thinks it's bad for his brain development and would reduce his chances to become a world-class researcher.

Personally, I do drink. So i was wondering what other people's reasons are for not drinking.

ReputationRep:
    My reason for not drinking is that it's only 4:30...

ReputationRep:
    Often I find it's more the case that the boring people are the ones who drink - the people who lack enough courage or character to actually make themselves likeable without downing a pint. So i'd wager to bet that G8D is more the 'boring person'.

ReputationRep:
    1) Addictive personality, so I'd rather not let myself get tempted because I know that if I start, I won't be able to stop.

2) A lot of alcoholics in my family have put me off of stumbling after them down that road.

ReputationRep:
    My puppy was killed by a drink driver
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    My reason for not drinking is that it's only 4:30...
    Oh dear, the fact that the bottle of vodka I can see out of the corner of my eye has been calling to me ever since I woke up isn't a good sign then? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vamplosion)
    Often I find it's more the case that the boring people are the ones who drink - the people who lack enough courage or character to actually make themselves likeable without downing a pint. So i'd wager to bet that G8D is more the 'boring person'.
    /agree
    I know some people who drink because they can't deal with stress, they're usually very fun when sober though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Oh dear, the fact that the bottle of vodka I can see out of the corner of my eye has been calling to me ever since I woke up isn't a good sign then? :rolleyes:
    It is the weekend. And I'm very jealous, I can't find my vodka

ReputationRep:
    Religios reasons and I prefer a healthy liver. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Because the taste is disgusting, it is utterly useless and filled with empty calories... no thank you.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't taste as nice as soft drinks

it rarely tastes nice at all (either that or it's really expensive... fine whisky aaaah yes)

i like watching my mates get pissed

my other half is muslim so i have chosen myself (she would prefer me to drink) to try and respect her way of life
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    It is the weekend. And I'm very jealous, I can't find my vodka
    Who cares if it's the weekend? I'm a student, I drink whenever and wherever I can =D The other day I pre-drank pre-drinks...
    A few weeks ago me and my friend celebrated handing in our essays in a pub, at 11am =D

Ah student life, how I love you :love:

ReputationRep:
    It isn't advised to drink when on my medication

But I tend to do/say stupid things when drunk that I then worry about for days afterwards, so I prefer to avoid alcohol for that reason too.

ReputationRep:
    My Grandad got throat cancer from drinking spirits- so I decided not to drink those, and thought I might as well not bother at all, for health reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I'm horrendously lightweight and feel a bit 'out of it' just after drinking a tiny shot. :nothing: It doesn't even taste that good and gives me bad stomach aches. :nopity: And I've had a horrible experience with whiskey in the past, so :puke:

ReputationRep:
    Because it tastes like crap, and I don't need it to have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    I do drink but rarely - I'm too much of a lightweight - it takes like 3-4 drinks for me to start getting memory loss the next morning (like say single shots of vodka with mixers & I just won't remember anything from that period), so I never go over the top on nights out now...I've tried eating beforehand etc, just doesn't help.

I've had heard you can condition yourself & up your alcohol tolerance level by drinking more reguarly - like if I were to drink a glass of wine every night...but doing that long term just seems like a lot of effort/expense for a bad liver lol.

ReputationRep:
    Alcoholic father. And my grandmother was beaten repeatedly by her alcoholic husband.

I find drunk people absolutely repulsive. Makes my skin crawl.

ReputationRep:
    I drink very little because I've seen mainly the bad side to drinking (many alcoholics in the family)

plus most alcohol tastes bad :P

ReputationRep:
    'Cos I was born with free will, just because it's the norm in society doesn't mean we have to drink. I hate how were judged because we're not getting 'mashed' every weekend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.