The Student Room Group

Mr hughes goes all copyright mad

Hi,

Well I got an email from 'Mr Hughes' himself.

He wasn't a happy man. Told me to remove anything to do with him, anything to do with Edexcel or any Exam board and anything done by anybody else.

For anybody who has used my website, I would go and download everything you can now because its probably going to be closed on Friday.

http://www.boddingtonbaby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

As always, this website was ran just for the sole benefit of students revising for A-levels. It had no benefit to me at all.

Who said that bureaucracy wasn't destroying our country?

Adam

Scroll to see replies

byb3
Hi,

Well I got an email from 'Mr Hughes' himself.

He wasn't a happy man. Told me to remove anything to do with him, anything to do with Edexcel or any Exam board and anything done by anybody else.

For anybody who has used my website, I would go and download everything you can now because its probably going to be closed on Friday.

www.boddingtonbaby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

As always, this website was ran just for the sole benefit of students revising for A-levels. It had no benefit to me at all.

Who said that bureaucracy wasn't destroying our country?

Adam

The link doesn't seem to work.
Reply 3
thanks onearmedscissor
Reply 4
I would be interersted in reading the email - could you post it here?
Reply 5
mrhughes
Interesting website you have.

I would like to know who gave you permission to use information from
my site?

I would also like to point out that the papers are copyright material from Edexcel, and the solutions are copyright from me.

me
Hi,

Ok, I apologise for not asking permission. My understanding was that it was there for educational purposes, which is what I doing it for.

I just made the site for help with revision, i've got lots of replies from students saying it has helped them get their A grade at A-level, and helped them pass.

Plus as a student, I don't really like Edexcel.

I would like to clear this up, what would you want me to do?

Adam

mrhughes

Mr Parker,

Thank you for your mail.

I appreciate it is frustrating to be asked not to produce sites like yours, I also put papers and solutions on the web to assist students - and also had many thankyou emails etc... but the simple fact is - Edexcel, whether you like them or not, and all the other boards, have copyright on their papers and you and I cannot use them without permission. My site now links anybody to the publications area of the Edexcel website - so they can buy any papers they wish. Yours should do the same for all the boards you use.

Your own personal solutions will of course be yours to use as you wish, and so if YOU can be bothered to work out solutions, type and format them all as 'a service to others' - that is your choice, and good luck to you, you can do this for every paper, from every board, in every subject - and students will be able to match your solutions to the original papers they have bought, or been given through their schools.

However, please do not use any of MY solutions, and do not use solutions created by others unless you have permission to do so. Sorry to sound a "pain in the ass" - but it is very annoying to have corrected my site, to find someone else stealing my material and using it elsewhere.

So, to answer your question - what I would like you to do is:

1) Remove all exam papers - you have no permission to use them and they are copyright.

2) Remove any and all solutions that you have not personally calculated and formatted yourself.

3) Remove any and all references to my site.

Many thanks

me
What is with the carbon copies to Edexcel and blueyonder?

You haven't even given me the chance to act yet.

Adam Parker

me

I guess this is the reality of bureaucracy, red tape everywhere you go. All I wanted was somewhere to help the students of the country revise for their A-level tests. The site has been up for 9 months with no problems, with 1000s of hits and thankyou's.

Also, it is quite harsh to call what I did stealing. I clearly stated that the solutions were created by you. I have not done this project for profit, just for the help of other people. Is this website benefitting me in anyway? No, it isn't. People can also quite clearly see in the solutions by you that they are created by you in the footer.

As my connection from university is somewhat limited, I will put a block on the website on Friday 24th January 2004. I have my own exams to revise for as well.

Also, why do you speak for Edexcel? - As of yet I have had no complaints from them.

Adam Parker

He'll probably want this removed for copyright.

Adam
Reply 6
Speaking of copyrights and trademarks. Anyone hear about microsoft and the case against mikerowesoft.com there's more on yahoo news if you're interested.

You can also visit the guy's site at http://www.mikerowesoft.com
Reply 7
byb3

Adam

Did you recieve his annoying caricuture as well on the emails?
Reply 8
He sounds like a bit of a dickhead.
Reply 9
G4ry
Speaking of copyrights and trademarks. Anyone hear about microsoft and the case against mikerowesoft.com there's more on yahoo news if you're interested.

You can also visit the guy's site at http://www.mikerowesoft.com

yes, people have heard, but they don't seem too bothered. i was expecting a few more replies.
Reply 10
Did you recieve his annoying caricuture as well on the emails?

yes, the inflated head was there.
Reply 11
i used to get all my past papers from school for free, doesn't anyone else?
Reply 12
byb3

Adam

LOL!!! Classic!!!

Has he actually stated on his website that everything is copyrighted and that it can't be used without permission? If I was you, I would leave the site there.
Reply 13
elpaw

Yeah my sixth form used to give me the last five years papers for each exam.
Reply 14
byb3
yes, the inflated head was there.

Yes, he does look like quite a plonker on that one. One thong though, take the site of, but if you like update it etc, can you notify us? And give us the direct address to download them? That way, they have nothing on you.

Also where did you get the solomon things from?
Reply 15
elpaw

yep, i have more past papers than i know what to do with (no one in thir right mind would ever do the number of maths papers i own)

lou xxx
Reply 16
elpaw

The paper is free to use, within a school or instuition for educational uses. Notice that they don't photocopy the exam answers, as that was under a copyright restriction within schools uintil less than 2 years ago.
Reply 17
The paper is free to use, within a school or instuition for educational uses. Notice that they don't photocopy the exam answers, as that was under a copyright restriction within schools uintil less than 2 years ago.

i thought everyone new the password mr mh
Reply 18

i used to get the answers too though. we got 6 years worth of papers and answers (including the "old syllabus") for study leave in easter before the exams.
Reply 19
Ollie
i thought everyone new the password mr mh

We do, but we are talking about byb's site.

Latest

Trending

Trending