Mr hughes goes all copyright mad Watch

This discussion is closed.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i used to get the answers too though. we got 6 years worth of papers and answers (including the "old syllabus") for study leave in easter before the exams.
We got the past papers, but the exam answers arn't supposed to tbe photocopied. If the exam board knew, it can fine the school for a large amount. Though the restrictions have been downgraded to the exam paper level in the alst few years.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i used to get the answers too though. we got 6 years worth of papers and answers (including the "old syllabus") for study leave in easter before the exams.
we got answers for some subjects- but in maths the teachers at our college work out the solutions themselves (or request a copy of someone's script who got 100%!... lazy people)

lou xxx
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
aaah, i've just been looking at my old papers. bring on exampapersreunited.com. Jun 02 P1 q1.... now that brings back memories...
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
aaah, i've just been looking at my old papers. bring on exampapersreunited.com. Jun 02 P1 q1.... now that brings back memories...
lets not!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Sexual memories?
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OK Adam you have a few options

1 - Do nothing, Mr Hughs can do pretty much nothing to you, he won't bother getting your site shut down or anything, just ignore his emails and nothing will happen. This is probably a bit unfair to him though as he did spend quite a bit of time typing up solutions.

2 - Remove all material your site completely. Probably not a great option - especially as Mr Hughs in ranting on to you about copywrite and at the sametime putting edexcels papers up on the web at the same time. The edexcel papers on his site are (with a bit of work) accessible to anyone, so he is technically infringiny copyright.

3 - Link directly to content on Mr Hughes site. A nasty one this, as there is obviously no proper protection for files on Mr Hughs, it is perfectly easy to just redirect users straight to the papers on his site - therefore not infringing copyright and making him pay for the bandwidth. This is usually frowned upon in internet circles - but from reading Mr Hughes emails he dosn't seem to be playing totally fair.

4 - Keep hosting the papers and write your own solutions. This involues the most work for you but will mean you don't have to worry about Mr Hughs as you will not be infringing on any of his work. You will still be breaking edexcels copyright policy - but they arn't going to mind.

If it was me I would proberbly choose option 3 or 4 - depending on whether you're feeling naughty or nice
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well it is very hard to get hold of past papers over the internet, probably because they want you to pay for them and order them.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
OK Adam you have a few options

1 - Do nothing, Mr Hughs can do pretty much nothing to you, he won't bother getting your site shut down or anything, just ignore his emails and nothing will happen. This is probably a bit unfair to him though as he did spend quite a bit of time typing up solutions.

2 - Remove all material your site completely. Probably not a great option - especially as Mr Hughs in ranting on to you about copywrite and at the sametime putting edexcels papers up on the web at the same time. The edexcel papers on his site are (with a bit of work) accessible to anyone, so he is technically infringiny copyright.

3 - Link directly to content on Mr Hughes site. A nasty one this, as there is obviously no proper protection for files on Mr Hughs, it is perfectly easy to just redirect users straight to the papers on his site - therefore not infringing copyright and making him pay for the bandwidth. This is usually frowned upon in internet circles - but from reading Mr Hughes emails he dosn't seem to be playing totally fair.

4 - Keep hosting the papers and write your own solutions. This involues the most work for you but will mean you don't have to worry about Mr Hughs as you will not be infringing on any of his work. You will still be breaking edexcels copyright policy - but they arn't going to mind.

If it was me I would proberbly choose option 3 or 4 - depending on whether you're feeling naughty or nice
But surely by just like redo the password/ password, he can screw us over. And also redoing the links.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
But surely by just like redo the password/ password, he can screw us over. And also redoing the links.
Yes - he could but would he bother - he would have to change all his pages and things as well if he changes the links. The only way he can stop deep linking is by making some changes to the sever config.

To be honest I can't see why he's acting this way. Ok no one wants to have their work reproduced without their permission - but when you are already on very dodgey ground by hosting edexcels material the last thing you want to do is draw attention to copyright law.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
We actually have to pay to enter for these exams.... state school pupils have it paid for by the government.

So why aren't we actually allowed copies of the exam past papers?
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So what if mr hughes has written a letter to you! Take his stuff of the site, and leave the question papers they're copyright of edexcel so wait for edexcel to complain.

By the way I think edexcel just take money from students anyway they can and if they do try to stop putting up their papers make a fuss in the papers, they all hate edexcel too.

PM me your email address for some other bits of info :cool:
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by mrhughes)
I appreciate your arguments - I felt exactly the same way.
If you really want to help students - all you need to do is the same as Solomon Press did. Create a series of "lookalike" papers using your own questions - and provide solutions. Once you begin to get a feel of the amount of work involved - you will appreciate why people don't do it!

I know the site provides no personal benefit - same for me, in fact the hours I spent creating solutions - and the hours I spent virtually offering free tuition to visitors asking about questions they were stuck on, actually meant the site "cost". I am also hosted on a pay-for server, so that means there are monthly fees! Believe it or not, I do understand.... but that still doesn't give us the right to just do what we feel like. It isn't bureaucracy - it's the law.

Why do I speak for Edexcel - I work with them very closely! I am an examinations officer in a school, I provide training for Edexcel and I am subscribed to an Edexcel service that provides me with all the papers and answers I could wish for free of charge. Edexcel are in many ways the good guys! I am sure the other boards are the same, but I do not have the same relationship with them.

Why did I copy in Edexcel on my email - it was Edexcel who contacted me to tell me about your site, as they noticed you were crediting mine. They had already passed details onto their copyright department, to begin legal proceedings. I said I would contact you and try to get the site removed peacefully without having to involve the legal team - believe me, thats when you discover what bureaucracy is!!

If you are willing to remove the present content of the site - apart from you being "pissed off personally" - everyone will be happy. As I said - please do create lookalike papers and solutions - I agree totally, students NEED good resources to revise from!
This is amazing, if I didn't remove them I would be sued by Edexcel. Now that would make paper headlines. A student getting sued by the exam board by offering past papers for free to other students.

Adam
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
This is amazing, if I didn't remove them I would be sued by Edexcel. Now that would make paper headlines. A student getting sued by the exam board by offering past papers for free to other students.

Adam
Please leave them on - this would be so funny.

Also I would question whether your site comes under the copyright exemption of "fair dealing".

It sounds very much like Mr Hughs is bluffing - surely if edexcel were thinking of sueing you they would contact you first. As Mr Hughs to send you edexcels email about that.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd go with loftx's option 3 - remove the pages from your server but link to the same information on his site directly. He obviously gets *something* out of his website or he wouldn't continue doing it...if he's really going to be this petty about his answers then let him pay for the hosting and the bandwidth for them (although I bet if you googled for the exact phrasing of some of his solutions you'd find there are a number of websites infringing his copywrite).

Post the email exchange on your site alongside the direct links. Emails are not copywrite no matter how many carefully worded signatures you tack onto the end once you send correspondance to another person those words become the property of the receiver to do as they wish with (unless they've signed a contract of confidentiality prior to the exchange).
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Post the email exchange on your site alongside the direct links. Emails are not copywrite no matter how many carefully worded signatures you tack onto the end once you send correspondance to another person those words become the property of the receiver to do as they wish with (unless they've signed a contract of confidentiality prior to the exchange).
Is that true - I can understand that email need to be passed around by people other than the copyright owner, but there are plenty of email where I've written helpful stuff for other people which I would like to retain the copyright for. Are there any pages on the net specifically tackling this issue?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Is that true - I can understand that email need to be passed around by people other than the copyright owner, but there are plenty of email where I've written helpful stuff for other people which I would like to retain the copyright for. Are there any pages on the net specifically tackling this issue?
http://www.weblaw.co.uk/artemail.htm

Confidentiality
Under English law a recipient of a communication is obliged not to disclose its content or use it for a purpose other than the purpose for which it was communicated, if (but only if) the communication was expressly or implicitly confidential. Whether a communication is implicitly confidential depends on whether a reasonable person in the position of the recipient would regard it as confidential. Clearly this leaves room for argument and there have been differing decisions on whether information provided voluntarily for the purpose of interesting the recipient in doing business is confidential.
You retain ownership of any emails you send so someone publishing your words without credit would be breaking the law - however so long as they credit you and you haven't put a disclaimer on the email stating that the contents are copyright to you and can only be reproduced with your permission then the recipient is entitled to reproduce them with credit to you as and when they want to.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
http://www.weblaw.co.uk/artemail.htm

You retain ownership of any emails you send so someone publishing your words without credit would be breaking the law - however so long as they credit you and you haven't put a disclaimer on the email stating that the contents are copyright to you and can only be reproduced with your permission then the recipient is entitled to reproduce them with credit to you as and when they want to.
Cheers Pencil Queen, that sounds ok, what I was worried about was people just ripping bits of information out of emails I was sending them and passing them off as thier own work.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Cheers Pencil Queen, that sounds ok, what I was worried about was people just ripping bits of information out of emails I was sending them and passing them off as thier own work.
That's always going to be illegal - and worse - plagiarism :eek:
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
Hi,

Well I got an email from 'Mr Hughes' himself.

He wasn't a happy man. Told me to remove anything to do with him, anything to do with Edexcel or any Exam board and anything done by anybody else.

For anybody who has used my website, I would go and download everything you can now because its probably going to be closed on Friday.

http://www.boddingtonbaby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

As always, this website was ran just for the sole benefit of students revising for A-levels. It had no benefit to me at all.

Who said that bureaucracy wasn't destroying our country?

Adam
Has you're website beenm taken down?
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Has you're website beenm taken down?
uh huh. Blueyonder did it.

Adam
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (211)
67.63%
No (101)
32.37%

Watched Threads