Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if you earn more than 15,000 during your degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have this offer for some kind of placement during the year 2011-2012. I'd have to take a gap year, it's full-time, but it would look great on my cv and the pay is worth it. I'd earn about £17,000.

I was just wondering if I'd have to start paying my student loan back already, before finishing my degree, or not?

ReputationRep:
    No. Payment only starts from the April after you complete your degree
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You may have to start paying it off for the year but you would only pay back 9% of £2000 and then because the next year your earnings would drop below the 15,000 threshold again you would stop paying.

But because this is in the middle of your degree I'm not sure...

Edit: Okay post above says only april after you finish your degree...go with them =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    You may have to start paying it off for the year but you would only pay back 9% of £2000 and then because the next year your earnings would drop below the 15,000 threshold again you would stop paying.

But because this is in the middle of your degree I'm not sure...

Edit: Okay post above says only april after you finish your degree...go with them =D
    I'd delete this pile of cack if I were you!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    I'd delete this pile of cack if I were you!
    Just like I don't untag bad facebook pics, I don't delete posts...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on a placement too, and no we don't have to pay anything back. It's only when we finish our degree and enter full-time employment and earn over the threshold that we start paying back, but even then it's a small percentage.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to pay for a certain time frame as well until you earn a certain amount. I was earning over the limit as well as an undergrad and it took them two years after graduation before they even took a penny. Although by then they took a lot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.