Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

difference between electronegativity and polarity. Watch

ReputationRep:
    and which ever one produced dipoles. and what a permanent dipole is.

ReputationRep:
    Electronegativity is the tendency of an atom to attract bonding electrons in a covalent bond. Polarity is caused by a difference in electronegativity between two bonded atoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chembob)
    Electronegativity is the tendency of an atom to attract bonding electrons in a covalent bond. Polarity is caused by a difference in electronegativity between two bonded atoms.

Thanks, could you also explain to me what a dipole is. I have a useless chem teacher. when you ask for an explanation she just repeats the words over and over.

ReputationRep:
    Electronegativity is the 'power' of an atom to steal more than its fair share of electrons in a bond. Oxygen is very electronegative, hydrogen is not. When these two bond (in water), the oxygen draws some of the charge towards itself, making the hydrogen a bit positive and the oxygen a bit negative. This is a permanent dipole, and because there is a positive and negative end we say water is polar.

Note that in some molecules the bonds can be polar but the molecule itself may not be. Take CF4. Fluorine is very electronegative and carbon isn't really, so there will be some polarisation, but because the carbon is effectively 'covered' in fluorine, it doesn't have a positive and negative end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sani-Insanity)
    Thanks, could you also explain to me what a dipole is. I have a useless chem teacher. when you ask for an explanation she just repeats the words over and over.
    It's basically the separation of positive and negative charges.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.