Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If they're not 'the one', do you stay? or do you go? :( Watch

Hey,

it's a simple question really; you're a teenager in a relationship. Your partner is great, they really are, a lovely person etcetera etcetera. But you just don't think they're 'the one'; you say 'I love you' and all of these things but it's nothing like how you imagined it would be.

It's depressing to think that this is as good as it gets?

So my question is, do I stay and enjoy the relationship for what it is and give it time? Or alternatively do I stop wasting his time and finish it.

Talk to me please!

you're a teenager why are you thinking about the one?! why dont you just enjoy it as you'll never know what it'll turn into .

ReputationRep:
    I like things to be for the long run and aiming for a future, but most people here will say you're too young to think about it, stop thinking about the future etc. You have to find out which path is the right one for you, there's no right or wrong answer.

ReputationRep:
    if you're having fun and getting something out of the relationship. stay in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    if you're having fun and getting something out of the relationship. stay in it.
    Well I used to say that you're too young to think about the one but this guy has a point. If you're having fun and he's ok for now why not stay and enjoy?

I hope it works out for you :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team

If you are happy in the relationship why change it?, if it is generally not working or you just don't feel happy, why drag the relationship on?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to neccessarily be with "The One" until you are looking to settle down. Having said that, if you aren't having fun in the relationship, then it probably isn't something you want to stay in.
    Nobody but you can know quite how you feel about it. Every relationship has ups and downs, and most aren't fairytales. If you think it's a rough patch, I'd say give it another go. If it feels nothing like you want it to, get out of it.
    It also depends how long you've been together. It usually takes me a while to warm up to a new relationship, and there is also the transition from lust to being comfortable with each other to take into account.

ReputationRep:
    'The one' is just a romantic fantasy anyway. there is no such thing as a person we are destined to be with.

ReputationRep:
    Your expectations may be a little too high, with such hype about finding 'the one'. The question is, if you're happy with him, and if he makes you happy, stay with him. Saying all of this though, you're only young - you have a lifetime ahead of you to find that guy who makes you feel truly special.

Thanks for the input What should I be expecting in a relationship? Because I know what you mean about expectations....aaaaahhhhh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the input What should I be expecting in a relationship? Because I know what you mean about expectations....aaaaahhhhh!
    IMO, relationships should be a two way thing. The guy treats the girl with dates, flowers etc (that's far into the relationship), and the girl looks after him as well and treats him with stuff too? Plus, there's a lot of communication and a lot of fun!

ReputationRep:
    Domestic violence.

ReputationRep:
    You're a teenager! If there is one point in your life where you don't have to worry about your biological clock or finding "the one", it is now. Save your doubts and sleepless nights for your late 20s. Enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    What people want out of a relationship varies from person to person. Some people like to have a deep, meaningful 'best friend' relationship, others prefer something more less emotionally based and more... physical.
    There aren't always certain things that you can pin down as making the perfect relationship either. I guess it's just if you are happy or not.
    If you feel there is something missing, try to work out what it is and talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    It would be setting high expecations to find someone you want or believe you will spend the rest of your life with.

Take and learn as much as you can from the relationship.

You don't need to end the relationship just because you don't believe they are "the one", especially if you find enjoyment in the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt matter if hes not the one for you at the moment. you are a teenager, you have your whole life ahead of you, just stay with him and have fun, you may develop more feelings as you get to know them. but dont rush into thinking of the one yet, the time will eventually come, he may be the one. but it normally happens when you least expect it. I was 16 when I met 'the one' still with him and as happy as can be, but seriously dont waste your life thinking about something thats not there yet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.