Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know that my predicted grades are all A's and A* for summer and that I wasn't trying my hardest for the mocks as my teachers said that they never really reflect how people really do. But will bad mock results really effect me as have no intention of missing any of my exams in the future.:confused::confused::2in1:.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Mocks are the grades your sixth form/college see.

Teachers will use your mock grades and your predicted grades.

So revise. You don't want B/Cs do you?

ReputationRep:
    Mocks are pointless, a lot of people get B's and C's in mocks and then A*s in their proper GCSEs/A levels....

ReputationRep:
    my marks in my mocks ranged from E's to A's... in the actual exams i got straight A's... cant say i really did any work for them.
    teachers may use mocks to modify predicted grades, they may not. it depends on the student and teacher.

regardless they can be pretty useful (come to realise this at uni). revising hard and doing a paper in exam conditions can lead you to holes in your knowledge or just give you a nice boost of confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycots)
    I know that my predicted grades are all A's and A* for summer and that I wasn't trying my hardest for the mocks as my teachers said that they never really reflect how people really do. But will bad mock results really effect me as have no intention of missing any of my exams in the future.:confused::confused::2in1:.
    Teachers naturally try and make mocks seem like the most important thing in the world and want you to work really hard so that you have the experience of what the real thing is like. Of course they have no say over your real grades as many sixth formers have said.
    At our school there is a sixth form so mocks don't affect you entry whatsoever but we do need an average grade of A to get entry into sixth form. It is worthwhile to work hard because the more you revise for the mocks, the better prepared you are for the real exam.

At our school there has been a longstanding trend between mock and real exams however with nearly every person going 1 grade up in the real exam. Some who got B's have gone on to get A*'s as well

ReputationRep:
    I have just recieved my results this weekend and they are all a grade lower than my normal work. with the lowest being Japanese whcich was a low D (not good). I am aplying to other schools and they will only recieve my predicted grades wich are all higher.

The general opinion is that they only really count if another school wants them as part of an application then? So if the school I have applied ofr will not see them they have no real consequenses. Right?

ReputationRep:
    In my school, bad mock results determine whether you do Higher or Foundation for the real thing, in let's say, Mathematics or English. Moreover, your college see them and your teachers most often, give a predicted grade from them. So yes, they do have an effect.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh my school took no notice of my mock results when giving predicted grades. Teachers know if you have done better or worse than was expected. I only had 3A*-B grades in my mocks, in the real thing I got 10.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.