Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Little bit about me. I am currently doing a Foundation in Engineering course at Coventry university (Did bad in A-Levels, but am a smart guy, just was a bit immature and didn't pay attention in class!). Now when I finish this year I will be able to do any Engineering course the University does and not have to worry about the UCAS cost point wise as I don't have very many (pay attention in college people!!!).

Now what interests me is buildings, and not your council house estates, but large sky scrappers and the like, so really want to look at doing a course that will lead me to that kind of work. I have spoken to a few lectures that have given me a little insight into the work each course will be doing but I am still unsure what to do.

Here are some courses that I can do:

Civil and Structural Engineering BEng Honours degree
    Civil Engineering MEng degree
    Civil Engineering Construction BEng Honours degree
    (more here http://tinyurl.com/289mral)

Just wondering if any one can give me some help at all... not sure what courses are best for what my aim's are. Thing like bridges and roads and stuff really don't interest me and I want to be working on big buildings when I finish.

Thanks for any help! Appreciate it.

Grady
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's more the companies that you apply to that determine what sort of projects you'll be working on. The plain MEng Civil Engineering is the most promising because it's an MEng, but I can't say with any certainty because it's not my field...

I think the best thing to do would be to find these companies that will be responsible for carrying out the design of these large sky scrappers and see what they'd prefer.

ReputationRep:
    Mechanical Engineering deals with quite a bit of structural stuff, as well as a range of other things. There is plenty of info available if you know how to use Google.

Also, not to burst your bubble but you should consider the wider range of things that Civil Eng deals with, rather than doing it because you want to work on huge skyscrapers. It's entirely possible to get a job designing a skyscraper but I imagine the opportunities will be few and far between unless you build a great rep for yourself and become headhunted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.