Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't we just download shows from BBC iplayer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean, to watch when you want without them expiring. Being a student, it would come in handy as I hardly ever have time during term.

It's annoying how they expire, even if you download them to BBC iplayer desktop. If the BBC are worried about people exploiting the service, why not just charge people and place a limit on the number of shows you can download each week. I'm happy to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    You can!

We already pay for tv licences, they wouldnt get away with charging.

At a guess, Id say that they have to place limits on things so that they can borrow footage from other sources.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dd4483)
      I'm happy to pay for it.
      If you have a TV license, you already do.
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dd4483)
      I mean, to watch when you want without them expiring. Being a student, it would come in handy as I hardly ever have time during term.
      Well, that would be breaking some kind of copyright and/or intellectual property laws, but if that doesn't concern you then you can use get_iplayer to do exactly what you're asking. It even lets you choose which quality to download shows in which is very useful if you have bandwidth limits.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by morecambebay)
      We already pay for tv licences, they wouldnt get away with charging.

At a guess, Id say that they have to place limits on things so that they can borrow footage from other sources.
      A tv licence is for tv and not the interweb activities. Technically, BBC could and SHOULD charge for content.

ReputationRep:
      I did send them an e-mail about it once when I was on my year abroad asking if they would ever consider charging for particular shows. They never replied.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.