Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've come to a bit of a cross road and need some advice.

I have an offer for a graduate job, which I don't want to do. They are pushing me to sign the contract and I'm seriously considering rejecting it. Anyway, the industry I want to go into is investment management and have a few interviews and an assessment centre in the pipeline for this. However, my question is this; if these interviews don't work out will doing a masters make my application that much better.

I am ruling out oxbridge and LSE as I really don't think I could afford it, Warwick is the one I'm considering right now.

I am currently final year economics at Nottingham uni and would do a masters in the same subject. Would going into a whole lot more debt really improve my chances that much? I know Warwick is a "target uni" but is it worth it?

I know I have kind of asked this in another thread, but I would really appreciate as much advice on this as possible.

(I also know I could renege on the offer and decide at a later date, but I don't want to do that - matter of principles I guess...)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    yes, it would....as it is a higher level of qualification that others may not have...

regarding the offer....could you perhaps negotiate to have it delayed?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it was supposed to be signed, sealed, delivered in September. I think I've exhausted their patience already.

Does anyone know of a specific masters course that is viewed as favourable in the industry?

ReputationRep:
    Whats the offer you dont want? You dont have to say the company, just what area and what type of firm (e.g Audit at one of big 4).

Masters will help at Warrick, but not as much as you'll hope IMHO. If you're already getting to the interview stages then in reality the companies are at least satisfied with your application in terms of academia. If you're getting rejections pre-iinterview/online test, then a masters is more likely to help. If you're already getting the interviews, doing the masters is only going to help you in to an extent for example, when its you or 1-2 other people going for the last spot.

Also a more relevant MSc might help more, I believe CASS and ICMA do an IM masters.

ReputationRep:
    The offer is in the broad area of "finance" at LBG (don't see the harm stating it, I'm sure their HR department don't read these forums). Not what I'm after really.

Well I'm getting interviews with some of the lesser firms in the industry but rejections from the main players. So I'm hopeful it would help in that respect.

I will look into those courses, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leycrjb)
    The offer is in the broad area of "finance" at LBG (don't see the harm stating it, I'm sure their HR department don't read these forums). Not what I'm after really.

Well I'm getting interviews with some of the lesser firms in the industry but rejections from the main players. So I'm hopeful it would help in that respect.

In that case a masters will likely help. Including the one a Warwick. Just my opinion though.

For investment management, you could do the IMC over summer break or even along side uni as well. Fairly easy (compared to ones like CFA) qualification, as long as you put in the hours. Try and get an internship over this summer, target IM, but an internship in financial services industry where you'll develop transferable knowledge will really help.

That way next year comes along you can have a BSc, MSc, IMC and internship. In my opinion with that you'll make it to the interview stages for a decent amount of firms, and then its down to you. Of course having a relevant MSc and the IMC will definitely help you in interviews, especially technical ones.

All just my opinion though. I'm going for IM too. Others might disagree!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty12345678)
    In that case a masters will likely help. Including the one a Warwick. Just my opinion though.

For investment management, you could do the IMC over summer break or even along side uni as well. Fairly easy (compared to ones like CFA) qualification, as long as you put in the hours. Try and get an internship over this summer, target IM, but an internship in financial services industry where you'll develop transferable knowledge will really help.

That way next year comes along you can have a BSc, MSc, IMC and internship. In my opinion with that you'll make it to the interview stages for a decent amount of firms, and then its down to you. Of course having a relevant MSc and the IMC will definitely help you in interviews, especially technical ones.

All just my opinion though. I'm going for IM too. Others might disagree!!
    Thanks qwerty I will look into those avenues.

Any other opinions on this?

ReputationRep:

Take it from me, LBG specifically will wait a very, very long time before taking any action even if they hear nothing from you. I was given an offer on the Management scheme after applying to Markets, and I left it until six weeks prior to the start date before turning it down (I even received my initial placement details). I wouldn't normally advocate doing this, but they were hardly helpful to me at the time.

LBG HR know that they are further down the pile than many. You can afford to be patient - as far as they know, you are currently choosing between them and Goldman's. One thing is for sure, LBG Finance is not the ideal place to start. It is a great achievement having been offered a graduate scheme place this year - but I would suggest signing up with agencies and looking at boutique AMs for direct entry roles if grad scheme apps fail - you will be a statistic at LBG. I wish I could refer you to my firm, but I fear that would identify me

Also, for future reference, a huge number of HR professionals and agencies do indeed check TSR as well as other boards - so take care

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks qwerty I will look into those avenues.

Any other opinions on this?
    IMC is definitely a good idea if you are sure about AM. If you commit a week to it and you are not working, you will fly through it, the material is extremely basic even if there is a fair volume of 'facts'.

Show your motivation to take the CFA also at any interviews.

In my personal opinion, doing an MSc is not essential or necessarily desirable in AM (though it is unlikely to do harm). You can expect to do the CFA in your first few years if you want to go into front-office AM roles and this is a comprehensive course tailored to AM. An MSc will at best get you to a few more interviews. In a bank, perhaps an MSc is more desirable.

Consider this - pay through the nose for an MSc which makes you only a marginally more attractive candidate, or start with a firm, get paid good money, network, gain practical experience, and have the CFA funded for you. To me it is a no-brainer (guess which option I took )

You only live once though, and if you still have that hunger to learn - do the MSc. If you do, make it for the right reasons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.