The Student Room Group

Choosing a firm/insurance...

Hi, when I read the booklet that came from my UCAS letter, it says that you can accept an uni as a firm/insurance despite not having all of your replies. Yet on UCAS itself, the button to let you do so is greyed out. So is this untrue? Or do you have to contact UCAS?

Thanks
You can't reply to offers until you've heard back with an offer or rejection from all of your choices.
You have to have all your replies. If the university hasn't replied to you by the deadline, then UCAS makes the decision on their behalf. i.e. a rejection.
Original post by lozzyhickers
Hi, when I read the booklet that came from my UCAS letter, it says that you can accept an uni as a firm/insurance despite not having all of your replies. Yet on UCAS itself, the button to let you do so is greyed out. So is this untrue? Or do you have to contact UCAS?

Thanks

This is from the UCAS website:

"You can reply to offers without waiting to hear back from all your choices. You can cancel all outstanding decisions and reply to the offers that you have received using Track."

Have you tried cancelling your other choices?

If this doesn't work, phone them on Monday :smile:

Hope this helps!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by urbanshoemyth
This is from the UCAS website:

"You can reply to offers without waiting to hear back from all your choices. You can cancel all outstanding decisions and reply to the offers that you have received using Track."

I would phone them on Monday if I were you :smile:

Hope this helps!

Ah, OK. For each of your choices you have to either have an offer/rejection, or have cancelled the choice without a decision. Then you can reply to offers. You can't reply to offers while you're still waiting for decisions.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Ah, OK. For each of your choices you have to either have an offer/rejection, or have cancelled the choice without a decision. Then you can reply to offers. You can't reply to offers while you're still waiting for decisions.

Yup, I think so, I actually just edited my post to say that :biggrin:
Original post by urbanshoemyth
Yup, I think so, I actually just edited my post to say that :biggrin:

Ah yes lol. :smile:

Just to point out: It's really not worth cancelling choices so you can reply sooner. You've got ages to reply.
Reply 7

Yeah I assumed you'd have to cancel the others, but I can't see anything that'll let me cancel them.

I want to hear back from the UEA anyway, but I don't want to wait for York, as I know it'll be a rejection anyway, and i've already heard back from my wanted firm and insurance.

Thanks everyone
You can't reply to offers until you've heard back with an offer or rejection from all of your choices.

Or have withdrawn your application to them.

You apply to Unis A, B, C, D and E. Ideally, you want to firm A and insure B.

A and B reply quickly; C, D and E are hanging on. You can withdrawn your application to them via track, and reply to A and B.
Yeah I assumed you'd have to cancel the others, but I can't see anything that'll let me cancel them.

I want to hear back from the UEA anyway, but I don't want to wait for York, as I know it'll be a rejection anyway, and i've already heard back from my wanted firm and insurance.

Thanks everyone

From what I remember, you click on the red code beside the uni you want to withdraw your application to, and 'Withdraw' should be an option at the bottom.
Reply 10

Thanks

You click on the red course code next to the choice you want to delete, then when the page comes up there's a red link underneath which says:
substitute choice cancel choice.

When you click on this, it'll ask you if that's really what you want to do. You press yes, and a few minutes later UCAS will update so that in the decision column, it says 'withdrawn' next to the uni you deleted.

It works, i did this last week when I decided I didn't actually want to go to one of the unis I'd applied to!

If you've got your firm and your backup, it might be nice to be able to confirm them just for your peace of mind!!
I'd ask your school teacher/tutor just in case though, they may think its a better idea to keep your choices.

Thanks everyone

I am sure that you have about 6 weeks from the last decision before you have to make your choices. How do you know that York are rejecting you? Remember the saying it really is never over until the fat lady sings. Do not jump in until you are really sure, so wait until York make their decision and give yourself the chance to think over what is really a big decision. You are deciding the next 3 or 4 years of your life and of course what you will be doing for a long time after.

Good luck with your decision, you may not change it, but give yourself a break.

Thanks

It says that you can reply if there are no decisions pending. This means that if you haven't heard from some of your choices but have got the offers you want to accept you can cancel outstanding choices and then reply.
Original post by ollie82
You click on the red course code next to the choice you want to delete, then when the page comes up there's a red link underneath which says:

When you click on this, it'll ask you if that's really what you want to do. You press yes, and a few minutes later UCAS will update so that in the decision column, it says 'withdrawn' next to the uni you deleted.

It works, i did this last week when I decided I didn't actually want to go to one of the unis I'd applied to!

If you've got your firm and your backup, it might be nice to be able to confirm them just for your peace of mind!!
I'd ask your school teacher/tutor just in case though, they may think its a better idea to keep your choices.

nope, it's all greyed out
Original post by ollienbert
I am sure that you have about 6 weeks from the last decision before you have to make your choices. How do you know that York are rejecting you? Remember the saying it really is never over until the fat lady sings. Do not jump in until you are really sure, so wait until York make their decision and give yourself the chance to think over what is really a big decision. You are deciding the next 3 or 4 years of your life and of course what you will be doing for a long time after.

Good luck with your decision, you may not change it, but give yourself a break.

Because I already got rejected for Nottingham, which has the same offer, and my predicted grades aren't good enough. And York is my least prefereable choice of the whole lot, so why wait when my best to get onto choice is the ones i've already had two offers from, and are the courses that I love the most. So why would I choose a uni course that would prove almost impossible to get onto from my predicted grades, and possibly my future grades,when it could obliterate my chances altogether if I do choose them?
(edited 13 years ago)
Because I already got rejected for Nottingham, which has the same offer, and my predicted grades aren't good enough. And York is my least prefereable choice of the whole lot, so why wait when my best to get onto choice is the ones i've already had two offers from, and are the courses that I love the most. So why would I choose a uni course that would prove almost impossible to get onto from my predicted grades, and possibly my future grades,when it could obliterate my chances altogether if I do choose them?

Fair enough. It sounds as if you have made your decision and you are happy with it. However I still think the best advice is to wait a bit before you take action. You do not have to do anything yet, so why not just relax before actually pressing the button what if someone comes up with a plan b ? (but make sure you keep studying whilst you are relaxing :smile:)
Reply 16
nope, it's all greyed out

that's really strange, it worked for me. I'd contact UCAS, there may be something wrong with your application.
Reply 17
Original post by ollie82

Ahh atlast! There is somebody who has did this! I'm thinking of doing the same, as I have thought throught all my choices and am keen on the offer I have, one rejection so far, and still have to wait from the 3 others. But I feel like, whats the point if I have made my mind u[ already? As I will still firm the same one...

How do you feel now, relieved with waiting for the rest?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending