Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i started uni this year and ive found myself becoming increasingly unhappy. My accomodation has made it very difficult to make friends (the people i live with are foreign students and opt for hanging out with people they know) and i tend to feel like a 'tag along' with people from other flats.

The uni its self (loughborough) is extremely sports oriented. The way the student life is run is something i can't seem to enjoy. Whilst i prefer doing my own thing, having a few drinks with friends and watching bands- the social life here consists of roudy 'sing offs', drinking societies complete with challenges and games, and sporting events. I understand social life is not the main reason we come to uni but it is considered a perk, one which i cannot enjoy at the moment.

The place is very small town with little to do. I come from a city and im used to being able to walk around , go to galleries, take in the culture and see the sights. I feel trapped here.

I can't seem to ignore it and get on with my work (fine art) and i'm starting to learn that perhaps im not passionate enough with regards to my subject. Basically, i think i've come to the wrong place and im studying the wrong thing. Someone once told me that if you're a part of something you dont enjoy- walk away. If i were to drop out, i would head for home, back to work, save up and reapply next year for a diffferent course at unis i know more about. On the other hand i've got people telling me to 'stick it out' and that it will all get better.

Is anyone else having a similar experience? Any advice from people who know what im going through would be really much appreciated, having a hard time here guys! Thanks x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.