Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I have a tough decision to make. It is very hard. I have no idea and keep changing my mind. I think i want to do either medicine or something to do with economics At the moment i am pretty sure i want to do:

Chemistry, Biology, Economics.

I want to do a 4th subject but i am not sure what i am thinking of doing maths stats.

Is it worth doing 5 as levels. Are the subjects chosen hard. What do you think the 4th subject should be and any other advice.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Nick

ReputationRep:
    Economics is a very good subject to do, it's quite a good subject to do and I am enjoying doing it, I'm in year 12 by the way, so I have just started doing AS. But I do feel economics is a good subject to do, it's not too hard, it's just sorta learning a few formulas and sone key words. Maths is definately a subject I'd reccomend, I really enjoy doing it and it will really help you if your considering possibly doing medicine at University.
    In respects to doing 5 AS levels, I can say from experience it can be hard at the begining but as you settle in you will get used to the work load and I'm sure you will adapt just like I did, and I'm saying this from experience because I too am doing 5 AS levels.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the pressure of doing 5 a Levels even during your first year really isn't worth it. As a fourth subject I'd choose Maths if I were you, that way you can easily go into either Medicine or Economics grades depending.

A Level is a big leap from GCSE, so even with outstanding grades you will probably find it hard at least at first. I think four subjects would be best. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Hey

if you dont mind me asking what subjects are you doing and what do you want as a degree and as a career.
    I think that i want to do 5 as levels but not sure what. Is it worth it. are there any differences in boards for the exams

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NICK-MARSHALL)
    Hey all,

I have a tough decision to make. It is very hard. I have no idea and keep changing my mind. I think i want to do either medicine or something to do with economics At the moment i am pretty sure i want to do:

Chemistry, Biology, Economics.

I want to do a 4th subject but i am not sure what i am thinking of doing maths stats.

Is it worth doing 5 as levels. Are the subjects chosen hard. What do you think the 4th subject should be and any other advice.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Nick
    Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Economics, Physics AS(if medicine) or further maths AS(if economics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mir3a)
    Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Economics, Physics AS(if medicine) or further maths AS(if economics).
    Is maths stats hard and is further maths as hard as they say. Just out of interest what is general studies and extended project and is it favourable for unis. Would you mind explaining for me please

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maths for sho

ReputationRep:
    Hey

if you dont mind me asking what subjects are you doing and what do you want as a degree and as a career.
    I think that i want to do 5 as levels but not sure what. Is it worth it. are there any differences in boards for the exams

Thanks a lot
    Are you asking me? If yes...

I did AS Biology, English lit, Psychology, History and for a short time Maths (which I dropped in Jan, five is just TOO much)

At A2 I am now doing Biology, Eng lit and Psychology. Predicted AAA* respectively and am applying for psychology.

I dont think the exam board has a huge impact to be honest as its all pretty standard in terms of syllabus.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

ReputationRep:
      what careers except the ones that i am thinking of would the subjects i have chosen open up. not entirely sure what i wanna become.

ReputationRep:
      Is maths stats hard and is further maths as hard as they say. Just out of interest what is general studies and extended project and is it favourable for unis. Would you mind explaining for me please

thanks
      What exactly do u mean by maths stats, do you mean the statistics modules in maths? and further maths isn't like ordinary maths, depending on your ability, and your determination to succeed in further maths, will determine how hard it is. General Studies is just a subject which I was forced to do, so did it, but the top unis don't consider it as an A level let alone an AS. And extended projects really are useful, I'm doing one and really do enjoy it. I'd recommend you do it too, it will show you are determine to teach yourself, and will give you many positive qualities all linked with further study as a uni student!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Pheebs1201)
      Are you asking me? If yes...

I did AS Biology, English lit, Psychology, History and for a short time Maths (which I dropped in Jan, five is just TOO much)

At A2 I am now doing Biology, Eng lit and Psychology. Predicted AAA* respectively and am applying for psychology.

I dont think the exam board has a huge impact to be honest as its all pretty standard in terms of syllabus.

yeah thanks. is biology really hard. i am on borderline thinking for five.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by waterstone555)
      Economics is a very good subject to do, it's quite a good subject to do and I am enjoying doing it, I'm in year 12 by the way, so I have just started doing AS. But I do feel economics is a good subject to do, it's not too hard, it's just sorta learning a few formulas and sone key words. Maths is definately a subject I'd reccomend, I really enjoy doing it and it will really help you if your considering possibly doing medicine at University.
      In respects to doing 5 AS levels, I can say from experience it can be hard at the begining but as you settle in you will get used to the work load and I'm sure you will adapt just like I did, and I'm saying this from experience because I too am doing 5 AS levels.
      Hope this helps
      Hey

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
      yeah thanks. is biology really hard. i am on borderline thinking for five.
      Umm, I wouldnt say it was really hard but you do need to work i.e put quite a bit of effort in to stay on top of it. I think Maths was more complex.

You could always start with 5 and drop the one u like the least if it gets to be too much?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mir3a)
      What exactly do u mean by maths stats, do you mean the statistics modules in maths? and further maths isn't like ordinary maths, depending on your ability, and your determination to succeed in further maths, will determine how hard it is. General Studies is just a subject which I was forced to do, so did it, but the top unis don't consider it as an A level let alone an AS. And extended projects really are useful, I'm doing one and really do enjoy it. I'd recommend you do it too, it will show you are determine to teach yourself, and will give you many positive qualities all linked with further study as a uni student!
      oh i mean mathematics combined with statistics modules so core maths with S1's i think. What is general studies about. What are extended projects. I think i will definitely do an extended project as long as it wont hinder me and if unis like it well then i am in there haha. Thanks

ReputationRep:
      oh i mean mathematics combined with statistics modules so core maths with S1's i think. What is general studies about. What are extended projects. I think i will definitely do an extended project as long as it wont hinder me and if unis like it well then i am in there haha. Thanks
      well if you only do maths A2, then you will do c1-c4, and say s1 and m1 for arguments sake. In that case, S1 isn't a hard module at all, all it is is numbers being plugged into formulas. General studies is about politics, well being and all that nonsense. research extended projects on Edexcels website, they come in 4 forms, I cant remember all 4. But mine is a documentation based on mathematical history and statistical errors. Extended projects do take a while if u are aiming for the best grade possible, so may hinder you slightly if u arent good at time management.

ReputationRep:
      Rigth Ive just started As levels in maths bio chem phys and ritical thinking. I would say go for maths definately if you can get an A at GCSE. Chem and bio are good. Biology has so much to remember its soooo long and chem is good but boring. Economics as I have heard is good but there is a moderate amount of essay writing. But yeah do those 3. Errm if you want to do a fifth by all means go for it as long as your mildly intelligent. For medicine do maths chem bio physics and maybe a fifth. For economics do Maths further maths economic physics and maybe a fifth. If you wanna keep your options open go for maths economics chem bio phys.

ReputationRep:
      Hey

Thanks a lot
      Nah, I don't mind you asking, I do Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Government and Politics and Economics and Computing. I really want to do a maths related degree as I'm really interested in maths but I may consider doing a Law degree to but I'm not entirely sure yet. And as a career I'm thinking of either becoming a accountant or a Solicitor, but I'm going to wait and see what the future holds for me.
      If you still want to know more about the extended project, it's basically a project which you can do about any subject of your choice and it's not teacher led, there's a teacher at the begining who will give you advise about how to conduct your research, what's expected of you and basically everything you need to know to do it and then that teacher will be there if you ever need any advise, it's a good thing to do during your extra curricular time, but if you choose to do 5 AS Levels I'd advise you not to take the extended project as you may not have enough time to concentrate on everything.
      Hope this helps

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.